Auto-Save/Auto-Backup

pjpjr10
pjpjr10 Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Product Enhancements (Mac)
I have been frustrated to have to rebuild my file due to power outages or system-dictated restarts that have closed Quicken for Mac unexpectedly and improperly. While I understand that some people may not want another behind-the-scenes operation running on their system, I would like the option to be able to turn auto-save on for set periods of time. For example, I would like if Quicken permitted automatic saves and backups much like Time Machine, such that I would have a weekly and hourly backup, along with my file saving every 5-15 minutes (if not more often).
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    First, I'm unsure why a Mac restart would corrupt your Quicken file unless you were just in the middle of saving a transaction. Every transaction is saved as you enter it, so there shouldn't be a need for an auto-save every 5 minutes. (And you probably wouldn't want to have hundreds of saved backups if it saved a new backup file that frequently.) I've had power outages and needed to reboot a frozen Mac at times when Quicken was running, and I've never experienced a data file problem.

But if indeed you've suffered file corruption in the past and want to protect yourself from lost work, then you could simply manually generate backup files whenever you want from File > Save a Backup. You could even assign this a keyboard shortcut in your macOS system preferences. Save a backup whenever you've done extensive work — owever you'd define that... perhaps after 30 minutes or an hour of work — so you can revert to that backup should you need to. 

You should have Quicken set to save backups when you quit Quicken, and you should quit Quicken each time you're done working with the program to let it close cleanly and generate a new backup file. Set the number of backups to be retained to a high number, such as 50 or 100, so you're assured of having frequent backups going back quite a while in time. 

And of course, Time Machine will do its own thing backing up your Mac hourly, so if you've quit Quicken or manually generated a backup, then Time Machine will back up those backups as well. I always like having multiple layers and generations of backups. Time Machine backups to an external drive should protect you if your Mac or your Mac's hard drive fails. So I also recommend using a cloud-based backup, such as iDrive or Backblaze, so you're protected in case your home is robbed or damaged and you lose your Mac and backup drive. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993