Reconcile This

I am sorry, this is very long-winded, because I am trying to be very specific. I have an annoyance that I would like to have fixed, I have asked before but let me describe it again with the hope that it will be included in the next patch.

When a linked transaction, which appears in two different registers as a transfer, is manually marked as "R" (Reconciled) in one register, both registers are marked "R". This does not occur unless either of the transactions is manually marked as Reconciled. Here are my troubleshooting steps:

I download transactions for my checking account register. I see that one is a payment for my credit card. I categorize that transaction as a transfer to my credit card account so it will appear in that register as well. The transaction in my checking account register was marked "c" (cleared) when downloaded. The transaction in my credit card account register does not have a mark in the Clr column, and the Status column shows that the transaction was manually entered.

After this initial step, here's what I found:

Scenario One: I subsequently download transactions for the credit card account register. The linked transaction is now marked as "c" (cleared). Since this was my only credit card transaction for the month, I mark the credit card transaction as "R" (reconciled) in the credit card account register. Returning to the checking account register I see that the linked transaction has also been marked "R" (reconciled), even though I have not reconciled the checking account as the statement period has not closed. I must now return the linked transaction in the checking account register to its original state by marking it as "c" (cleared). THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT BEHAVIOR.

Scenario Two: I subsequently download transactions for the credit card account register. In the Reconcile settings for the credit card account register I have checked the box to "Auto reconcile downloaded transactions". The transactions for the credit card account are entered in that register, and all are marked "R" (reconciled). The linked transaction in my checking account register remains marked as "c" (cleared). THIS IS THE CORRECT BEHAVIOR.

Scenario Three: I subsequently download transactions for the credit card account register. The linked transaction is now marked as "c" (cleared) in my credit card account register. Since the statement period for the credit card account has closed for the month, I choose to Reconcile from the Actions menu in the credit card register. In the Reconcile settings for the credit card account, the check box for "Auto reconcile downloaded transactions" is not checked. I have selected the radio button to reconcile to the Online Balance, which matches the ending balance in the register, and I continue to finish the reconcile process. The transactions for the credit card account are all now marked "R" (reconciled). The linked transaction in my checking account register remains marked as "c" (cleared). THIS IS THE CORRECT BEHAVIOR.

Now you can see that only in Scenario One, where the transaction is manually marked as "R" (reconciled) in one register, both registers are affected and one must be corrected.

An additional problem along these same lines occurs when dealing with a Loan account, in my case my home mortgage account. My mortgage account payment is entered as a Bill & Income Reminder, and I enter the payment each month by clicking on "Enter" for this reminder, which places the transaction correctly in my mortgage account register and in my checking account register. Now, since the mortgage account register has no Reconcile function on the Actions menu, I manually mark the payment as "R" (reconciled) in the mortgage account register. Not only is the linked transaction in my checking account register also marked as "R" (reconciled), but the interest amount is added to the split in the checking account register as a negative amount with no category, changing the amount of the transaction. THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT BEHAVIOR. I then have to correct the checking account register by removing the transaction's mark in the Clr column (because it has yet to be downloaded), AND I have to edit the split by clicking the Adjust button which clears the bogus negative amount - leaving the original total amount and correcting the transaction.

I have had these accounts for many years. These anomalies were not always present. I hope they will be mitigated in the near future.