quicken update goes 'poof' R45.21

Private User
Private User Member ✭✭
This is the week of new stuff, let me tell you. Went into quicken today, tried to perform a one step update. appropriate get prompted for my master pwd, enter it, screen comes up with all my accounts, click 'update now' and poof, the update screen disappears and quicken just sits there. tried rebooting same problem. Haven't seen this in 31 years of using quicken.....

I know there are new(er) versions out there, but I'm not inclined to beta test and deal with new and different problems as has been happening in new releases. Update has been working fine on this version for weeks.
Quicken user since Sep 1990. With a lot of sadness, I switched to something else. Used quicken at least three times a week for 32 years; hard to let go. 35+ years in IT Infrastructure and IT Security. Current Job 31 yrs. Married 30yrs..

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    R45 has a multitude of problems, which you'd apparently rather complain about than resolve.
    To resolve them, update to R46 which is well past the Beta stage.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Private User
    Private User Member ✭✭
    edited January 14
    R46 has already needed a rapid hot fix, I'd hardly call that being "well past the beta stage". And the forums are full of posts with people reporting problems with 46.12. Not going there.
    I've been running 45.21 for a while now and have done dozens of updates without issue. Not sure why this comes out of the blue, and upgrading to another busted release isn't going make anything better.
    Quicken user since Sep 1990. With a lot of sadness, I switched to something else. Used quicken at least three times a week for 32 years; hard to let go. 35+ years in IT Infrastructure and IT Security. Current Job 31 yrs. Married 30yrs..
  • Private User
    Private User Member ✭✭
    Thought I found the solution, but as I was typing up the fix, the one step update completed and pretty much every account is red.

Some accounts have: "One or more accounts have been deleted"
    Other have "Login info incorrect",
    And still others have "Account may be closed'.

To get it going again, I deactivated and reactivated online banking on my checking account and it seems to have reset the comms. I thought back in the day there was a key combination that forced one step update to 'reset' itself, but nothing seemed to work for me...

I give up.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then drop back to R44.28 which you can get from here:

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Private User
    Private User Member ✭✭
    Thanks, but jeez, did you really just recommend downloading software from a third party site? That is a terrible recommendation, no disrespect intended to perlwiz. But in todays day and age people should not be downloading anything except from an authentic source, and even then, use major caution.
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭

This is the week of new stuff, let me tell you. Went into quicken today, tried to perform a one step update. appropriate get prompted for my master pwd, enter it, screen comes up with all my accounts, click 'update now' and poof, the update screen disappears and quicken just sits there. tried rebooting same problem. Haven't seen this in 31 years of using quicken.....

I know there are new(er) versions out there, but I'm not inclined to beta test and deal with new and different problems as has been happening in new releases. Update has been working fine on this version for weeks.
    I went through a rash of similar issues back in the R2X.xx and R3X.xx releases. It seemed like it was something new on every other update and in some cases experienced large data losses including the paycheck corruption issue (lots of us had this) to around 2001. It took some work to unravel since I didn't catch it at first and restoring from a good backup would have lost a lot of new entries (too far back). I spent hours and weekends rebuilding. I backup a lot now and do file validation checks frequently. I just posted elsewhere that I learned from that experience to prevent updates until there is a need. I've also learned every user can have a unique situation depending on use, bank accounts, file size, etc. R46.12 might run great for one person but not another. I've had to drop back several times during those days but usually in time to pull from here. https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes.

Running 42.21 with no known issues (for my configuration).

Best of luck.