Missing transactions & Mystery Deposits

My registers in Quicken were all reconciled on Dec 8, 2022. I did an Update this morning Feb 8, 2023 via Direct Connect with my bank. My checking account Register, in Quicken, now shows an online balance of $7938.84 and my Current Balance of $11458.77. Whoa, Nice, If it were only that easy to increase my bank balance. I logged into my bank, made a printout of the checking account activity for the period of interest, and compared it to Quicken. I found two missing payments; one to Bank of America and the other to PayPal, but no hint of what caused the disparity of $3915.35 between Online and Current Balances during the Update.
Missing transactions as well as bogus new ones have been a plague for years, but this new twist of mystery deposits showing up with no way to justify them is too much.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the bank involved here?  Direct Connect typically is very reliable. 
  • Gil Forbes
    Gil Forbes Member ✭✭
    Fairwinds Credit Union, Orlando, FL. Missing transactions are not limited to Fairwinds. I have experienced them with Bank of America downloads as well.
  • Harry2
    Harry2 Member ✭✭
    Trivial in comparison, but I am a scientifically trained person, retired but with a career in engineering (mostly software, including system testing), so I always notice the unexpected.
    So why have I just seen 4 transactions on my Bank of America account, payee = Quicken:
    Deposit 0.80, Payment 0.80, Payment 0.17, Deposit 0.17.
    This seems to me like a "Just making sure it is really you" operation, but I have no recollection of initiating a "first contact with another institution" sequence. The date was 2/14/2023. My Quicken renewal was charged on 2/13/2023 (Mastercard/Citi). Are these two events related? Is there a possibility that Quickpay might work with Citi now? It has been very hit and miss so far. This unreliability is very frustrating, especially with bills that have a late penalty. Any chance that a Chase (Amazon Visa) card might start working with QuickPay soon properly also? That only offers Check Pay, which is useless as long as we still have Louis de Joy in charge of the Post Office, at least for a late penalty bill, especially a credit card.
  • Tom Young
    Those small deposits and payments are typically used by some bill paying services to make sure things are set up correctly.  Sounds to me like you might have set up Quicken's Bill Manager to use your Bank of America checking account?
    I won't touch Quicken's bill paying service as I seen way to many problems reported in here about that function.
  • Gil Forbes
    Gil Forbes Member ✭✭
    Tom, as much as I am grateful for your input, it doesn't address the issue of dependability and accuracy of transaction downloads.

Is there a valid reason why we have heard nothing from Quicken on this serious problem?
  • Tom Young
    From April up to December I was routinely missing some transactions in my 8 Schwab Accounts using EWC+.  An update that actually became available in late November - R45.13 - and that I installed in late December  as part of R45.21 seems to have addressed the problem as, so far, there have not  been any transactions missed in downloads. 
    ---------------------------------------

What’s Fixed

• For some EWC and EWC+ accounts, there were unreported gaps (missing transactions) in the downloaded transactions.
    ---------------------------------------

I also have a BofA Account but never had the problem of missing transaction, though it's a seldom used credit card.  It too uses EWC+.
    If you haven't already done so I'd suggest updating to a release higher that R45.13 to see if that fixes any of your missing transaction problems. 
    Also, there can be "local" problems with your Quicken file that interfere with proper functioning, so going the Copy & Validate route (Step 3 here : https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows ) would be something to try.
    And you might try contacting Official Quicken Support directly - I always use the "phone" option since "chat" just isn't up to the job in my opinion - and get some hands on help.  I've had to do that a couple of times myself and generally have been pleased.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Tom Young this post is very indicative of issues that many are experiencing. I really wonder if higher ups ever read through the posts to understand the real problems, or if they're intercepted before they get to far up the chain of command. I once heard that the CEO uses Quicken but am at a loss as I feel that if the CEO did use it and experience the real everyday problems of those that are paying his salary that Quicken wouldn't be in the mess it's in.

I agree that someone higher up the pole than moderators need to be made more aware of the issues and how users are feeling about the product right now. Someone is saying it's fine..I'd like to know where those people are, as there are many times as many as 1K posts in a given month with problems and issues. With that many, I'm curious how Quicken can squeeze out a 4 out of 5 rating!

Changes need to be made and it would be nice for the CEO to admit there's problems, tell us where the mistakes were made, and or by whom, and what is being done to get Quicken on a track to have it be reliable again like it was 10 years ago. Seems to me it's going in the wrong direction.

I suspect my post will be eliminated and tomorrow will be just like yesterday was, and like 5 years ago was.

You've always been a good moderator, but users need more, or the day will become soon when ALL of us wake up and say "What happened?" Then it will quite probably be too late, when suddenly there will be no one left to fix the problems and keep the good customers!

Please past this on to someone higher and significantly responsible! Do it quickly as like in tha past. this post will be taken down quickly, instead of used to recognize a big problem somewhere!
This discussion has been closed.