How can I change a group name in the budget display?

mjmjj
mjmjj Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools

I have “transfers in” and “transfers out” selected as budget categries. But their content shows up in the budget display under “personal income” and “personal expenses”.

These latter two categories are listed as options that I could use in the budget display but I have not selected any indivicual items within them.

As a supplementary question, can anyone explain why the so-called categories in the budget seem to be what the basic Quicken classifies as “groups”?

I am a relatively long-time Quicken user and this is the first time I have tried using Budget Planning. I found the process of setting a budget up incredibly confusing. A call to Quicken help on the issue of getting transfers to show lasted 45 min without the agent being able to help The person basically went through everything I had tried without success and clearly had the same difficulties I had.

Tagged:
1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Where else would you expect transfers between personal accounts to show?

By default, categories without a specific tax line item association to Schedules C, E and F are grouped in the Personal Income and Personal Expense categories.

Unless you have very specific needs, I would suggest you stay within the default Personal Income/Expenses groups.

• mjmjj
    mjmjj Member ✭✭

Well, to anwer your question, I would expect them to show up in the default categories that Quicken provides in the budget application. That would be transfers in and out. They are neither an income nor an expense.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, you seem to have spent a lot of time setting up your own income and expense groups.
    I must admit, I always only used the default Personal Income and Expense categories and never wondered why Transfers would categorize as Personal Income or Expenses. That's always been good enough for my simple budgeting needs.

The only Transfer account I list in my budget is Transfers from my IRA account for regular withdrawal. There's not enough Soc Security coming in, so the IRA must fill the gap between Income and Expenses.

If you want to be able to show transfers as separate budget groups, we should ask the programmers why they decided to show Transfers as Personal Income or Expense instead of a separate Transfer Group. And perhaps they could make an optional change, “Show transfers as separate Groups” …

• mjmjj
    mjmjj Member ✭✭
    thanks - Am I able to contact the programmers to ask them?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @mjmjj,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow.

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.