TreasuryDirect

Nort
Nort Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements

Add some compatability to track US Government-ssued securities.

5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

What specifically are you looking for? Price updates (I don't know if those prices are even available)? The ability to connect the account for online access (which would have to be done by the Treasury, not holding my breath on that)? Something else?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Nort
    Nort Member ✭✭

Just looking for a less clunky way to manually track bonds, bills, notes, etc…

• Laurel Cull
    Laurel Cull Member ✭✭

I agree. I would like to be able to have all of my holdings, whether brokerage linked or TreasuryDirect linked, in one place.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

again - if the institution has NO DOWNLOADING capability, or even local transaction info on their own online website, there’s not much Quicken can add to the scenario

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

The way Treasury Direct for I-Bonds posts the current value is by just giving the current value at the time you access your account.. The earnings is not defined but only included in the current value. Manual posting in Quicken has to be done by taking the current value and subtacting the previous total value and this gives the earnings made since last manual posting you had done in Quicken. This amount can then be shown as reinvested after the share value is manually calculated.

It is cumbersome to track it manually in Quicken but Quicken could certainly make it easier to manually enter the data and accomplish what is needed to simplify manual entry. If it can be done using a simple spreadsheet certainly it could be done in Quicken.

It is a pain in the rear to have to do it in Quicken now… The more I-Bonds you have the more time needed for multiple manual calculations and manual entry….. the current work around in Quicken accomplishes the task but is very time consuming whereas Quicken could make it much easier if they wanted to I think….. Quicken should make life easier…. Treasury Direct has been around for years and years but Quicken can't address the issue to make it better for the Quicken customers ????

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

A few additions to this popup could fix this issue…..

Add field: Current Value

Add field: Previous Value

Add calculated difference field(current earnings): Amount of interest

Then it is easy to plug in Interest and Share Value (already in the popup)

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I do this in Quicken. I don't have to do any calculating or subtracting outside of Quicken. But my bonds are just an Asset account, not investment. And I just track the total, not individual bonds. When I enter the increase in value I enter the current value in the increase amount column and then hit the minus key and the last value in register and it gives me the difference. Like 51000-49000 to get the 2,000 increase.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

[Sorry, these are directions for QWin. Please correct if this does not work for Mac]

Usually people defer I bond interest until they redeem the bond. The bond's value is increasing year by year and thus should be reflected in your net worth, but the increase should not show as taxable income.  

In this case, you can go to the account you created and enter a Buy (not Bonds bought) for one “share” at the amount you paid for the bond. If you receive the bond as a gift, you would enter an Add instead.

As interest accrues and the I bond’s value increases over the years, you can increase the bond's "share" price to match its current value as shown on the Treasury Direct site. You can do this by going to the Security Detail view for the bond, then click on More and Edit Price History. If you have several bonds to update, you can go to the account and click on Holdings. Next to Show: select Value. Set the correct date next to As of: and enter the values in the Quote/price column.

Then when you redeem the bond, you would lower its price back to the purchase price and record an Int payment for the total interest, then record the sale. That should make Quicken's net worth and tax calculations correct.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Jim_Harman That's how I'm handling my I-bond in Quicken Mac, though I hadn't thought ahead to how I would handle the sale.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

just curious - I've seen comments to NOT define the I-Bond security with a Quicken Asset type as a BOND -
    or - why as an Asset Account vs an Investment Account ?

why these choices ?….

QWin - R54.16 - Win10