Capital Group-American Funds unable to set up account
I have been trying to set up a Capital Group-American Funds account in Quicken R48.9 without any success. Here are the steps I am following (in Quicken):
1. Tools | Add account
2. Search for “Capital Group-American Funds” and select
3. Enter SSN and the Capital Group account password (and verify password with “Show”)
4. Quicken reports “You need login information from Capital Group-American Funds to have automatic downloads in Quicken”
5. Select “I have a Direct Connect user name and password. Let me try again”
6. Enter SSN and the Capital Group account password (and verify password with “Show”)
7. Quicken reports “You need login information from Capital Group-American Funds to have automatic downloads in Quicken”
I have repeated this with the SSN replaced by “Fund Number,Account Number” which Quicken states is also an option. That produces the same results. Eventually after trying this enough, Capital Group locks the account and the password has to be reset.
This is a new Quicken file, created in January 2023, and I have validated it with no errors. It is stored on the C: drive of the computer I use.
So far I have been on the phone with Capital Group support, verified account information and I did walk through the setup guide they referred me to. I phoned Quicken support once, and have used Quicken support chat 3 times but so far no luck making progress. This has been reported through Help | Report a Problem as well.
The American Funds account has existed for 20 years, and there is no problem logging into it via web browser. This is my first attempt to set it up in Quicken though.
I have been working on this since January 1.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
It's been awhile since I have had Capital Group-American Funds accounts set up in Quicken but I seem to recall that using the SSN did not work for setting up the accounts in Quicken. Nor did using the account number alone work.
What did work was to enter the fund and account number separated by a comma. For example:
- If the Fund Number = 01
- And the Account Number = 12345678.
- This would be entered into Quicken during the setup as 01,12345678.
It used to be (at least up until about 4 yrs ago) that Capital Group downloads each fund into Quicken as a unique Quicken account. So, if there were multiple funds involved, each one would need to be set up separately. I don't know if that is still the case, though.(QW Premier Subscription: R47.15 on Windows 11)0
Thanks for the suggestion Boatnmaniac, however I did try the fund and account number just as you show it, but that produced the same error message unfortunately. Interesting point on the multiple fund... In my particular case there is only one.0
I found this online article about how to set up Capital Group-American Funds in Quicken:
I read through it and did not see anything different in it than what you and I have not already covered here. Maybe you will see something that I missed?(QW Premier Subscription: R47.15 on Windows 11)0
Hi Boatnmaniac - yes that is the process, and it breaks at "Add Brokerage Account (Continued)".0