smy
smy Unconfirmed, Member

My program freeze during the one step update

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @smy,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

To clarify, when attempting to perform a One Step Update, your Quicken application freezes?

If so, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• hpaziii
    hpaziii Member ✭✭
    Options

Jasmine, I am having the same problem. I did everything you said in this posting, and no luck.

• capkwk
    capkwk Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Same issue here. [Removed - Rant/Unhelpful] I'm tired of the constant technical issues.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @hpaziii and @capkwk,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community.

We do currently have an active alert regarding intermittent crashing when performing different functions in Quicken for Windows. You can follow this link to access that alert where you may bookmark it in order to remain up to date on any new information, ETAs, or resolutions that may occur. If you do not see the option to bookmark, please make sure that you are signed into the Quicken Community.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

-Quicken Jasmine

• jrfotch
    jrfotch Member
    Options

I tried both your solutions with no success. I am a 20 year user and would hate to cancel and move o something else as suggested above. Any additional ideas?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @jrfotch,

Thank you for joining this thread to share that you are also experiencing this issue.

There is currently an active alert (as mentioned in my previous posting) that could be contributing to the issues that you are experiencing. I suggest bookmarking that alert and waiting until the alert is resolved to see if your issues have been resolved as well when that time comes.

I apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When Quicken "freezes" during OSU, will it eventually "un-freeze" and how long do you have to wait for that to happen?

I'm asking because there is a problem where it appears the Quicken screen is freezing during OSU or goes white. However, it really has not frozen, it is just running very, very, very slowly and if one waits long enough (it can take a few minutes) it will unfreeze and then process OSU normally. This has been happening with me ever since I updated to R48.15 and it was not fixed when I updated to R48.18. To be clear, it is not known if this issue is being caused by R48.15 or if there is some other unrelated cause. I had a Zoom call with the Quicken engineering team regarding this last week during which they were able to observe the issue. They then asked me to upload some files so they could investigate it further.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• dr_bond
    dr_bond Member
    Options

loaded 'new' quicken, validated files, 'super' validated files. still freezes on update. screen greys out and disc spins eternally.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2023
    Options

Since no responses to my earlier post have been received, I will ask the question again of everyone who is saying that Quicken is freezing:

When Quicken "freezes" during OSU, will it eventually "un-freeze" and how long do you have to wait for that to happen?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It has been my experience that a "hung" OSU, while performing bank transaction downloads, is waiting for an IP packet that never arrives or has been missed or lost, will eventually "time out" after 30 minutes and then complete with one or more error messages.
    You should wait at least those 30 minutes before you start ending the Quicken task with Task Manager.

A "hung" OSU, while performing a Sync to the cloud, is a different can of worms. I have no idea how much elapsed time is "normal" vs. "bad" and when you should take Sync - specific action to recover from this problem.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I have been getting white screen, frozen screen, black screen and flickering screen when opening Quicken, when switching to another data file and when starting OSU. Initial reaction is to think Quicken has frozen but that is not the case. It has just gotten really slow and within 2-3 minutes (or less) everything will be back to normal and Quicken will, for the most part, run correctly. For me this issue started when I'd updated from R47.15 to R48.15 in April. Subsequent updating to R48.18 did not bring about any improvement.

The Quicken development team is aware of this issue and has seen it happen in a screen share during a Zoom call. I told them that it seemed to me like Quicken was waiting for some kind of response from something and it was very slow in getting that response….so pretty similar to what you had mentioned.

That was the purpose of my question….to find out if what some are reporting as a freeze is really a freeze or if it is that Quicken has not really frozen but has gotten really slow. Two different issues and likely two different causes and solutions.

• hpaziii
    hpaziii Member ✭✭
    Options
    Once again, Quicken is doing it again. OSU is freezing. I did what made it work last time with no luck. I installed Quicken and then installed it again. Last time, it worked; this time, no luck. I usually shut down Quicken from Task Manager. I have not waited 30 minutes long to see if it works.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • johnrneely
    johnrneely Member
    Options

This is a on going problem with Quicken. I have used it for over 25 years, and is the whole last year this has been going on. Only reason I paid $65 to renew. If you can put it back the way it's been for over 20 years I will not renew.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2023
    Options

As mentioned in my 5/2 post, for me the issue was not that Quicken was freezing. It was that Quicken was running VERY slowly and would appear to freeze. It made me think that Quicken was waiting for some reply from something and was not promptly getting it.

The evening of 5/2 I opened Task Manager and on the Startup Apps tab I noticed several apps that I do not use or do not regularly use (MS Edge, Skype, vSee, MS Teams) were enabled so I disabled them and shut down my computer for the night.

The next morning (5/3) my computer booted up very quickly (about 30% faster than before disabling those apps in Startup Apps) which was nice. But what really pleased me was that Quicken was once again responsive and reasonably fast to open, switch between files, OSU, switching between accounts, no more white or black screens, etc.). Today is now the 3rd day since disabling those apps and Quicken is still functioning like it was prior to the slow downs that started about a month ago. It makes me think that perhaps there is something in Windows 11 or one or more of the apps that I'd disabled that wasn't playing well with Quicken.

No guarantees for anyone but it might be worth doing what I did (disable not necessary apps from Startup Apps, reboot computer and then open Quicken) to see if any improvement occurs. I suggested to another person posting in Community to try this and he replied that afterward Quicken was faster for him, as well. If you try doing this, please post the results (good, bad, or ugly) that you experienced.

• Rob B.
    Rob B. Member ✭✭
    Options

I have two Win10 computers running Quicken, one has saved the other more than a few times over 25yrs of Quicken. There has been nothing but trouble since the new EWC and EWC+ upates. Quicken techs have been inside my computers twice, validating, checking, fixing, etc. etc, and nothing has stopped the problems.

The update freezes, sometimes one and sometimes the other computer, not always but often. One computer might actually download something partially while the other downloads nothing. Updating each bank account individually sometimes gets a download, sometimes not. Never,… NEVER since this new update proceedure have both computers fully downloaded everything that was available to them. Quicken used to be solid and have reliable downloads on both computers with the old update system. Those days are gone. It is a fight everyday to get both computers updated with the current transactions. What would take a few minutes now takes an hour or more of fighting Quicken to download something. And no error is totally repeatable on demand.

Unfortunatley EWC and EWC+ is a hot mess that Quicken techs themselves have not fixed for me.

• Gerard Dembeck
    Gerard Dembeck Member ✭✭
    Options

Finally, the Super Validate worked. We shall see what happens next.

Jerry Dembeck

• Rob JL
    Rob JL Member
    Options

Starting yesterday, 5/31, Quicken is freezing for me during One Step Update (OSU). I had to change my TD Ameritrade account to Schwab because Schwab took over, and then the problem started, though it isn't clear that the two are related. I have read through the many different discussions on this subject and agree with those that say that Quicken is becoming more trouble than help. Last December, I switched to Quicken from AceMoney, which I used happily for about 10 years until it became obsolete. I find Quicken to be slow, clunky, and plagued by glitches, so am on the lookout for another option. Regarding this new freeze problem, I have tried a variety of fixes recommended in this and other discussions, including 'validate,' 'super validate,' limiting updates to only one account, not including investments, and more. I tried waiting extended periods of up to 45 minutes to see if it worked itself through. Nothing has worked. Every time I start OSU it freezes. One discussion where the freeze occurs for BofA updates the solution is to uninstall and reinstall Quicken, which I may try next, once I confirm I can then open a backup and not have to set up all my accounts all over again. Meanwhile, I see that Quicken staff set up an Alert page and the last post was mid-May noting that they are aware of the problem, are working on it but have no solutions. Very disappointing.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Rob JL :

….the solution is to uninstall and reinstall Quicken, which I may try next, once I confirm I can then open a backup and not have to set up all my accounts all over again.

The data files are not saved in the software and the account connection setup are saved in the data files, not in the software. You may uninstall and reinstall Quicken and there will be no effect on the data file nor to your connections.

During the reinstall process you may select your current QDF data file without needing to restore a backup file. If you do not know where your QDF data file(s) are saved, go to File > Find Quicken Files. This tool will locate all QDF and backup QDF files on your hard drives and show you where they are saved.

• Allison
    Allison Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Kathryn:
    I am having the same issue. According to this (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7935535/new-5-31-23-one-step-update-slow-in-quicken-windows-and-mac#latest) it has been resolved, but it has NOT been resolved for me. I have validated/repaired, I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and I am still experiencing freezing with OSU. This started 3 days ago, and nothing I have attempted has resolved the issue.
  • Wnix
    Wnix Member
    Options

Having the same exact issues. Tried to uninstall, wiped out Windows program 86 file folder, restarted, and downloaded from Quicken, and freezes up. Went to another computer, will not let me get pass a windows administrator wall which i have the password for as im the administrator. Can you recommend how competing products to switch to?

• Williejeff
    Williejeff Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Starting 6/1, Quicken is freezing for me when trying to do One Step Update (OSU). I tried to add a new brokerage account for Schwab, and then the problem started. As with others, I have read through the many different discussions on this subject and see others are having the same issue. When Quicken works, it is fantastic. I have been using it since 1994. Regarding this new freeze problem, I have tried a variety of fixes recommended in this and other discussions, including 'validate,' 'super validate,' limiting updates to only one account, not including investments, and more. I see others have tried the same. I tried waiting extended periods of up to 45 minutes to see if it worked itself through. Nothing has worked. Every time I start OSU it freezes. I even called for support... and while the Quicken staff (working in Latin America) was really nice, she said that the problem was my laptop and recommended I contact Microsoft for professional help. I tried turning off my anti-virus support, my firewall, and VPN.... nothing seems to work. Meanwhile, I see that Quicken staff set up an alert notice that they are working on it as of yesterday (6/5)...noting that they are aware of the problem, but have no solutions. When Quicken works, it is great! When it doesn't, is so frustrating. Interesting, my membership renewed 6/1... don't know if that is part of my problem? Arrrrr
  • Randall LeBlanc
    Randall LeBlanc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Operation "Ditch Quicken" is now officially underway,
  • Joegolf
    Joegolf Member ✭✭
    Options

I also have the same issue with the OSU it starts but freezes up. I've even reloaded quicken with no success.

• pkeegan
    pkeegan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just had the same issue on Windows R50.14. Task Manager shows Quicken status ‘Not responding’, but CPU is around 20%. Normally, OSU often takes 5 min for all my accounts. After reading this thread, I decided to let in run longer. After 20 min. it completed. Clearly, there is a problem here.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just an observation as my Quicken statup and OSU'S are considerably slower….. :

Computers are faster, Solid State Drives are super faster, flash drives are faster, Windows is faster, internet speeds are lightning fast, wireless networks are faster. I have all of the above….. Every software package on my computers runs very fast except for 1 and it is getting slower and slooower…. I would think 20 minutes for an OSU is definitely problematic.

I sincerely hope Q can remedy this…… 🕑️🕝️

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• boddicker
    boddicker Member ✭✭
    Options

same problem. Been using Quicken since early 90s. OSU hangs and then goes to not responding. Renders program useless. Anyone find a real solution yet? Oddly, I have another data file on same laptop where it actually completes.

• Skytrain
    Skytrain Member
    Options

I have tried all the stuff above except delete and reinstall it. No one has said that worked yet.

• iggirl
    iggirl Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem, for weeks now, Quicken is freezing for me during One Step Update. It hangs and no matter how long I leave it (5 minutes, 30, 45 minutes) it never finishes. I have to use windows task manager to do a hard shutdown. I haven't been able to get any proper support (just the same tired old 'validate' nonsense, been there, done that, rinse repeat, no luck) and find no global announcement from Quicken that acknowledges this is a widespread and longstanding problem, let alone a plan/timeframe to resolve.

I've been a loyal fan of Quicken since it launched with Bank of Boston online banking ~1995, buying new software every couple of years, and on top of that a pricey annual fee these days. Even after being massively impacted by the other big issue with splits, which it took me dozens of hours work to sort-of resolve, I was willing to stick it out. But now, another major issue, persists for weeks, no acknowledgement/resolution, can't even use the app? I'm just about done. How is this considered acceptable by a software company?

This discussion has been closed.