Remove requirement of administrator password to update (Q Mac)

Options
dsfry
dsfry Member
edited October 2023 in Installing and Updating

I have several clients who use Quicken Deluxe for Mac as their financial software. Because these clients aren't savvy enough to recognize scammers, all of them are set to Standard accounts on macOS for their protection, with a separate administrator account that only I know the password for. Because Quicken requires an administrator password to update, these clients aren't able to update Quicken themselves. They need my help and intervention every single time.

Quicken for Mac is the only software used by any of my clients that requires administrator credentials for incremental updates. It's a massive pain. I'd be incredibly grateful if you guys could remove that requirement going forward. Thanks!

Tagged:
2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@dsfry Just curious, since I've always used Macs with an administrator user: do other apps your clients use install code patches, or replace the entire application on the Mac? Quicken does the latter, moving the current application out of the Applications folder and installing a new application there. I believe macOS is what requires administrator access for those actions, and I don't think Quicken can override that. (If that's correct, what you're seeking is an entirely new way of installing/updating Quicken Mac, which may require replacing the Sparkle updater Quicken uses. Sparkle is an open-source software update framework, so it's not actually built by Quicken.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dave.1234
    dave.1234 Member ✭✭
    Options

I see the same problem, especially with the big boys stressing security and passkeys, it seems less-than-good-security for Any app to need root access. Seems that one used to be able to do initial install "for all users" or "just for me," the latter requiring only my permissions which, of course, it already has. 2c.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The Quicken app does not need "root access" to run, nor does it need to be run from an Administrator account. But installing a new app (which is what Quicken does when there is an update) does require Administrator privileges, which is a macOS security feature, not a Quicken issue. A standard user can't put apps in the Applications folder.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993