Capital Gains report should default to Year To Date

Options
Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports

When I open the Capital Gains report, the date range defaults to "Last 12 Months".

Because the Capital Gains report is most likely to be used when planning for the current year's income taxes, the best range to use is "Year to Date". Gains from the previous year, included in "Last 12 months", are irrelevant and should not be combined with the current year's gains.

Please change the default appropriately.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My Cap gains report defaults to Yearly / Current year. That is the setting I have set under Edit / Preferences / Reports and Graphs.

I am not seeing a compelling reason why the default specification should not apply to all reports, i.e., why the CG report should be uniquely exempt from that otherwise global setting.

That said, I suppose an argument could be made for tax and budget reports to always default to Yearly/Current Year (my preference over YTD), with all other reports using the default specified under Edit / Preference. Note the the current help on that Reports and Graphs preference settings is that the default dates apply to ALL reports.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited August 2023
    Options

You know, I'd forgotten there was a global preference for report date range, which I do have set to Last 12 Months. So that default is my own (de)fault.

I do think tax-related reports should default to the current year and not use data from the previous year. Perhaps Yearly/Current Year is also a good choice. I've never used that variation. Either that or YTD would work for me.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Then there is the other aspect that Jan-Apr 15 many users are focused on Yearly/Prior year, rather than current year.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Another good point. Perhaps the best solution is for each user to create their own folder of saved tax reports and we can close this Idea.

• jl747
    jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken Windows Business & Personal (Subscription) - Using the latest version -Windows 10 Pro

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I do agree that there will be no satisfying everyone on this subject because different people have different reporting needs/wants. But I do think that when it comes to the tax-related reports they should all default to the same time period, if for no other reason than for consistency.

Here is what I am seeing with the default reports:

• Capital Gains: Year to date —> This correlates with my global preference for reports.
    • Schedules A, B and D: Prior year.
    • FBAR: Prior year.
    • Tax Schedule: Yearly - Current year.
    • Tax Summary: Yearly - Current year.

I think they should all default to Current Year (or Yearly - Current Year). I think this would meet the needs/wants of most users.

Those who want something different can customize the reports how they want and then Save them that way…..just like is done with all other reports when someone wants something other than the defaults.

And if they want to easily retrieve those Saved reports without needing to dig through their Saved reports list they could do what I do: Add their Saved reports to the Toolbar. Once that is done it is just a single click to open the reports just like they were last saved.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11