Add Active Flag to categories

Options
fciani
fciani Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements

The category window has various sorting options - used, unused, hidden. These are all great. I would like to see an 'Active' checkbox option added for each category.

I would say that >95% of the time when I select a category, it's one that is 'active'. However, in the drop-down menu I have to scroll through all the 'unused' categories. By having the 'active' option in the category selection window for transactions, I can save a lot of time scrolling. If I need a category that is not 'active', then I can select the 'unused' categories, then the hidden, and lastly, I can create a new category (though this should be available at any time).

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are referring to the "Show" options in the Category List, right?

How would you define "Active" - used in the past 12 months or something?

What I do to shorten the Category list is to hide Categories that I am not currently using, or I merge obsolete ones with current Categories.

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When entering a new transaction, in the Category field the selection list will automatically shorten itself to show only those categories which contain the characters you typed and/or related subcategories. Much less scrolling …

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And even though I'm using Q2013 for years a new item recently popped up that I never noticed before or never triggered it. But in the list in the left column at the top is RECENT which really cuts down the categories. It doesn't show up all the time. Haven't figured it out yet.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• fciani
    fciani Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I would categorize 'active' as used within two calendar years. I also had not seen the type-ahead functionality as posted above. Is that functionality completely built?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I also had not seen the type-ahead functionality as posted above. Is that functionality completely built?

I'm not sure what you mean by "completely built", but you should try it.

When entering a Category, you don't have to click on the down arow to open the dropdown list, you can simply start typing and Categories that contain what you have typed will be displayed.

At Edit > Preferences > Data Entry and Quickfill there are several options that control how data entry works, including "Complete fields using previous entries" and "Show buttons on QuickFill fields", which controls whether the dropdown lists are displayed.

QWin Premier subscription