Tax Planner: Allow user to add notes to all "User Entered" items

Options

I don't use "User Entered" very often in Tax Planner, but when I do, I find there is no way to determine the source of that data from within Tax Planner.

For example, this year I have a tax credit for installing energy-efficient window shades. The only way to get that into TP was to User Enter it. Today when I looked at the credit in TP, I could not remember where the credit came from (until I finally did).

Just adding a one-line free-text note area to User Entered items would be a boon to my addled brain.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This would be very useful.

I think it should apply to "Adjustment" amounts as well. As an example, the Tax Planner does not adjust Social Security income to reflect the fact that only a portion of it is taxed. I make an entry in the Adjustment space to correct for that, and it would be helpful to allow a note explaining how that amount was calculated.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good idea, @Jim_Harman . Maybe we just expand this idea to allow the free text field to live in the Details pane of each tax item rather than be attached to its any of contents like User Entered and Adjusted.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.