URGENT: Please add checkbox to QFX file import dialog which will reverse the transaction sign

Options

Pentagon Federal Union aka PenFed FCU no longer allows transaction download via quicken connect.

Users can download QFX files from PenFed fairly easily by account and range (but export have to be done foreach account one at a time, which is PITA)

however, the QFX for credit cards has the transaction sign reversed (yes, it is a PenFed issue, but unfortunately they will never fix it…)

therefore, I request a new urgent feature, whereby in the same QFX import dialog, where it asks you which account to import the QFX into, add a checkbox called "reverse transaction sign", which when checked quicken will reverse all transactions (and balance) amounts.

5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• avic
    avic Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

Forgot to mention that if transactions are not reversed, it messes up more than just the credit card accounts, but also the bank account from which payments are made… my bank account now have the "real" payment as deducted from my bank account and another deposit transaction for the same amount coming from the bad imported QFX file.

also, I am aware that this is NOT a quicken issue/bug, but rather a bad QFX file sent by PenFed.

but it seems that the quickest way to work around this issue, is to request this "reverse sign" feature.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Wait a second… PenFed actively supports Quicken by offering QFX downloads. (That means they have signed a contract with Quicken or Intuit to be a participating financial institution and receive a valid Intuit ID which is checked when files are imported.) If they didn't want to do even that, they'd stop offering QFX downloads. So if they're willing to do that, why would they be unwilling to fix a mistake in their export code which reverses the signs? I would think if enough PenFed customers bugged IT support at PenFed, they could get this fixed. And that would be better than Quicken implementing a wonky attempt to fix mis-signed data. What happens if the next financial institution downloads all values as positive numbers? Then users might want Quicken to offer an option to reverse the signs, but only on certain transaction types.

I understand your frustration with the current situation, but I think getting it fixed at the source is a better solution than offering user-selected bypasses which might help some but unexpectedly trip up others.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • avic
    avic Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Agree, better to fix it at the source

but I believe that since Quicken is much more awesome and responsive to its users, Quicken might be able to implement this quicker (pun intended).

I did call PenFed, the rep was not even sure how/who to route the request to… so I do not have much confidence in PenFed

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

but I believe that since Quicken is much more awesome and responsive to its users, Quicken might be able to implement this quicker (pun intended)

I'm certain some users will disagree with you on that. 🤣

Seriously, though, I've never seen an Idea topic here turn into reality very quickly. The development teams have long lists of projects scheduled for months into the future. First, the Idea has to garner enough votes here for the moderators to forward it to the development team; they then have to assess if they think it's a good and viable idea, whether it will impact a large enough number of Quicken users to be worthwhile, and what work it would take to implement it; they then put it on their schedule… and sometime quite a while down the line, the new feature appears. I don't want to discourage you from trying; I just want to share my observation about how things typically work.

This doesn't mean what Quicken won't be aware of the problem and decide to implement a fix for it, but most of their financial institution-specific fixes seem to focus on the biggest of the big financial institutions (like Chase, Citi, Fidelity, Schwab, AmeEx, etc.)

In terms of pursuing from the financial institution end, in most cases you need to ask (or push) to be connected to Tier 2 technical support who specifically deals with transaction downloads. Trust me, someone there implemented their export of QFX files, so they can fix it if they hear from enough customers about a problem with their export.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993