Add Tax Line Item to Find and to Find & Replace features

Options
rismanma
rismanma Member ✭✭✭

It would be a big time-saver for me to be able to (a) find things with a particular line item, and even more so (b) to be able to replace the Tax Line Item.

Especially after the end of the year, for example, when I receive my W-2 and I'm trying to see if they line up with what Quicken tells me, so that I can (a) verify that the W-2 is right, and (b) confidently import my information into TurboTax

It seems we can Find and Find and Replace many other things, so it seems to me that Tax Line Item is a big omission

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Reluctant Manager
    Options

It would also be helpful for users to be able to add Tax Line Items, as Quicken is missing many important ones, and the IRS comes up with new things continuously.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This can be easily changed using the Tools Menu / Category List.
    Changing a tax line item in an existing category automatically applies to all transactions using this category. No Edit / Find/Replace of transactions required.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want to see which Categories use a particular tax line item, you can got to Tools > Category List and click on the Tax Lin Item header to sort the list in that order.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    Options

The wrinkle here is that QWin has an interesting, perhaps little-known, feature where a transaction can be assigned a TLI different than that of its Category. It's in the right-click menu.

Another maybe little-known feature is that a TLI column can be added to a banking register (it won't appear in a 2-line register unless Notes is also shown). That column can be sorted, helping the user find transactions with a particular TLI.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

The wrinkle here is that QWin has an interesting, perhaps little-known, feature where a transaction can be assigned a TLI different than that of its Category. It's in the right-click menu.

Interesting, I have not experimented with that. Does that only work for Banking transactions with a Category, not transfers or split transactions?

I see if you change the TLI for a Category in the Category List, it also changes existing transactions that use that Category, so this would be a way to get around that.

I have wondered how to set up transfers from an IRA for example, where they are sometimes taxable and sometimes not.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    Options

It works for transfers, but not for splits.

EDIT: I'm wrong, it works for splits too. Select Edit on the split line.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Reluctant Manager
    Options

Please show me how to edit the TLI under this tab please. I don't see a way to add a TLI for example - Form 8839 "Health Savings Accounts" - or Form 1040 Schedule 1; "Additional Income and Adjustments to Income"; or Form 1040 "Adjustments to Income". None of those items are in the drop down list and I need to add one of the three.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Unfortunately there is currently no way to add a TLI to Quicken's list. All you can do is assign one from the list or change the one that is currently assigned.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

You can only add TLIs if you are willing to hack QWin.

TLIs are stored in 2 files: TAX.SCD and TAX.THP in C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb. These are text files. You can add line items and they will appear in the list after a Quicken restart. Just realize that your edits will be clobbered each time QWin updates and that your additions will mean nothing to TurboTax if you attempt to perform an import.

I'm not suggesting you actually do this. But this shows how easy it would be for Quicken to add more TLIs.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    edited January 25
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel

For added TLIs to be useful, wouldn't the Quicken code also need to be modified so that transactions with any new tax line items have the desired effect on the Tax Planner, Tax reports, etc.?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited January 25
    Options

@Jim_Harman

For added TLIs to be useful, wouldn't the Quicken code also need to be modified so that any new tax line items have the desired effect on the Tax Planner, Tax reports, etc.?

Yes and no. New TLIs will appear on Tax Summary and Tax Schedule reports but not in Tax Planner.

• Reluctant Manager
    Options

I'd appreciate votes for this new idea please. Thanks for the suggestions.