what happens to unmatched downloaded transactions?

Options

Today, Quicken (Windows) matched a manually entered transaction with a downloaded transaction. Quicken picked the wrong downloaded transaction. When I said to ‘unmatch this transaction’ the downloaded transaction disappeared. I expected the downloaded transaction to be in the register, it was not. When I aksed Quicken support rep about this I was told the downloaded transaction was deleted. Deleted? I asked. Yes, deleted. I said I can't beleive that. Gone? Yes, I ws told. I said I can't beleive a product was designed to deleted transactions becuase it incorrectly matched a downloaded transaction to the wrong manually entered transaction. Seriously? This cannot be the case. Please help me.

Best Answer

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10
    Options

Restore a backup and try again to get the match you want. If you are automatically entering transactions from downloads, change that before you do the download.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• FredGrandt
    FredGrandt Member
    Options

What happened to my downloaded transaction? I can't beleive Quicken deleted it becuase it was incorrectly matched to a manually enetered transaction. What a horrible design, if that indeed is what is happening.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is only one case I can think of where the downloaded transaction would be deleted, and that is if what kicked in is automatic transfer detection. Was this made into a transfer?

What automatic transfer detection does is guess at that two downloaded transactions are a transfer because they are in different accounts with the same amount but one is a deposit and the other a withdraw, around the same date. It merges the two transactions into a linked transfer. If that linked transfer changed to a regular transaction, then only one side of it will remain. This has been complained about in the past. Definitely make sure that the "Confirm for automatic transfer detection" is on or automatic transfer detection is off. Edit → Preferences → Transfer Detection.

If it isn't that, Quicken Support is wrong, using UnMatch should have got you back both the manually entered and the downloaded transaction.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I did a test and for me this problem isn't happening for un-matching (non-transfers). I'm on R54.16.

Here is the setup before the download:

After the download:

After the un-match:

Signature:
  • FredGrandt
    FredGrandt Member
    Options

The downloaded transaction was NOT a transfer but the manual transaction that Quicken incorrectly matched it to was a transfer. The manually enetered transaction was a transfer from checking to 'cash'. The downloaded transaction was a payment from checking. Only the amounts were the same. So, I guess that solves the mystery of how the downloaded transaction was deleted, but that's a terrible design flaw, deleting the downloaded transaction as opposed to backing out the match.

So, now, how do I get my downloaded transaction back? Restoring a backup from before the fiasco is not an option I want to consider.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I agree it is a bad design flaw, and one that has been complained about since they created the "Automatic transfer detection" preference. If you have it on, definitely make sure the "confirm" is on too.

As for the missing transaction, manually enter it, and set the Clr status to c (you can also do that in the reconcile window).

Signature:
  • metzroth
    metzroth Member ✭✭
    edited March 12
    Options

I really wish they would fix this. I get toll road $20 transactions every other day and it keeps matching them (I have confirmed Auto transfer detect is turned off)… then in the window before accepting it, if I click unmatch… it deletes the transaction… WTF!

This discussion has been closed.