Expanded list of displayable columns (power user mode)

Options
Shelster
Shelster Member ✭✭
edited April 26 in Product Enhancements

Most financial institutions have gone away from exporting qif and qfx files.

I understand the (currently-implemented) need to 1) simplify the default UI to display the most-commonly-needed columns and 2) have a simple expanded list for augmenting (or hiding) fields and 3) expand that list for Advanced viewing and reporting. BUT sometimes more fields are needed. Maybe 4) to display all fields, as grotesque as they might be.

I would love a way to see all the data in their full glory. My QXF export is gibberish. QIF export is no longer an option. CSV exports are limited to the displayed columns. #3 (above) doesn't have all of the fields I need to see in order to trace some oddities.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

As Chris_QPW stated below, you can select additional columns to view in your register. However, not all of these extra columns are viewable in reports.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Most of the fields that are downloaded are already available for viewing. They should allow for printing them though.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    Options

At issue: I am trying to track a bug that is showing options contracts that were opened and closed as being expired. I've been flamed by some members of this community who say that I should manually change the field values and move on. This suggestion is completely unsatisfying to me. It's a BUG, I am not the only one affected by it, and the thought of having to make manual changes multiple times per week is nauseating. Without seeing what data are being sent from Fidelity and how those data are parsed and recoded by DirectConnect and Quicken, I don't know which company owns the bug.

I understand that the Advanced mode allows for additional columns to be selected, but I am not convinced that this list includes ALL fields. Alternatively, it does, but the field values are truncated such that the information I need to see is not included.

The "Statement Memo" value is "YOU BOUGHT OPENING TRA." The "Security" is "Expired CALL 5617909FZ"

Put together with a narrowed field with, the transaction reads "YOU BOUGHT" … "Expired CALL," which is completely nonsensical.

Quicken support insists that none of these data fields is derived; Quicken is only displaying the raw data provided.

The latest from Fidelity is: "I have spoken with the Development team for further research and they have confirmed that Fidelity did not send the expired put data to Quicken. … a Quicken representative will need to submit a ticket with Fidelity to resolve the error."

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK to start with it wasn't originally clear that you were talking about investment transactions, that is different. The investment accounts don't allow of showing the downloaded fields. That is a possible feature request.

But to address your problem directly for Direct Connect the log of what the financial institution sends is in:

Help → Contact Support → Log Files → OFX log

You can see what Quicken sends to the financial institution, and what is returned.

Note for Express Web Connect + the log is the Cloud Sync Log

Signature:
  • Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW THANK YOU! The Mac version has it in Help → Show Log Files In Finder → OFXLog.txt

I see "<SECNAME>Expired PUT 5597419XT"

That surely speaks to the mislabeling being on Fidelity's end. Do you agree?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, that looks wrong to me.

Signature:
  • Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    Options

Fidelity says that Quicken needs to open a ticket with them to resolve the issue.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fidelity says that Quicken needs to open a ticket with them to resolve the issue.

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

Updates on problems that Quicken has acknowledged are posted here

https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts

QWin Premier subscription
  • Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    Options

My initial feature request was that Quicken make more columns available for reporting, but I failed to specify that I was talking about investment transactions rather than basic banking transactions. Regardless of the resolution to the crazy "You bought" …"Expired CALL" download issue, I do believe that it would be helpful if there was a more-complete list of fields that can be displayed for Investment transactions.

@Jim_Harman I was on the phone with Quicken Support for over two hours today. Level1 → Level 2 → Level 3 → Developers. The bottom line is that Quicken says it's Fidelity's problem and Fidelity says it's Quicken's problem.

<OPTINFO><SECINFO><SECID><UNIQUEID>6840259KI<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><SECNAME>Expired CALL 6840259KI<TICKER>SOXL231229C24<DTASOF>20231216033010.000[-5:EST]<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.000<CURSYM>USD </CURRENCY></SECINFO><OPTTYPE>CALL<STRIKEPRICE>0.0<DTEXPIRE>20231116000000.000[-5:EST]<SHPERCTRCT>100 <SECID><UNIQUEID>6840259KI<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID></OPTINFO>

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fidelity downloads into Q via Direct Connect, for which Fidelity is solely responsible for the content of the download.

You can confirm Direct Connect by looking at TOOLS, Account List and looking at the "Transaction Download" column across from your Fidelity accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA, upon initial Fidelity reconnect a few months ago, I used Quicken Connect and watched my entire transaction history disappear. Not great for tax season! While trying to sort out that situation, I've had various connection settings. I wish the connection mechanism was stored in the transaction or at least in the download log file.

To make it completely unambiguous, I created two brand new quicken files, each connected to one Fidelity account. I downloaded transactions using the Fidelity Mac direct connect, one in the simple mode (which I later toggled in order to see the transactions) and one in the detailed mode from the start (just in case that affected anything). And here we have it. It is not possible to sell an expired PUT. It would be nice if the Symbol field was displayed by default, but that's in the noise at this point.

I'm definitely using Direct Connect now. Previously, Fidelity said, "Quicken needs to open a ticket with us." I haven't been able to ascertain whether that has happened.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    Options

This is a QMac thread. Flagged to move.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel Since the late 1980's, I've only used QMac. My connection to Fidelity is via the "Fidelity Mac" direct-connect, so this issue is definitely OS-dependent. More generically, is there a place for posting issues that may or may not be OS-dependent?