Allow customization of Tag color names

Options
jobworker
jobworker Mac Beta Beta

It would be nice if the Tag colors could be renamed to suit the user as is possible with the Finder colors.

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 24
    Options

You shouldn't be posting about beta builds outside the Beta forums, but there's nothing about this suggestion that's specific to the beta test, it's just as applicable to the current release version, so I removed the beta reference.

I also made the title a bit more informative.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@jobworker said: It would be nice if the Tag colors could be renamed to suit the user as is possible with the Finder colors.

Perhaps I don't understand, but of what use is the name of a color? The purpose of colors for the tags is to visually see the colors when you skim your transactions in a register; the name of the color is never seen anywhere except in the Tags setup window. Why would it matter if your blue tag is named blue, royal, cornflower or cobalt?

On the other hand, I suppose I could see value in allowing users to select new colors for tags beyond the seven colors Quicken Mac now offers. For someone who uses tags extensively, it could be useful to add a brown, or have 2 different shades of red or blue, by using a color wheel. (But I would probably put this at about #150 on my list of priorities for the developers, for implementation in 2029 or thereabouts. 🤣)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    edited February 24
    Options

I assumed what they meant was they wanted to be able to choose the color for each tag (which I don't see a way to do currently, but I don't use Tags so I might be missing something here).

Edit: I forgot tag colors are still an "early access" feature you have to turn on.

• jobworker
    jobworker Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@jacobs When selecting a color for an item, say medications, it would be nice, hence simply a suggestion, that the color indicated its meaning. As I said just as one is able to name the colors in the Finder for folders or files. Same concept. A user aid, why else would the finder have that ability?

• Jon
    edited February 24
    Options

@jobworker But the tag already has a name, why does it need a second name that says the same thing? Or are you suggesting that tag colors be used something like tag groups - so for instance all red tags are related to medical expenses, all blue tags are related to birthdays, etc, so being able to rename red to "Medical" and blue to "Birthdays" would be useful?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

When selecting a color for an item, say medications, it would be nice, hence simply a suggestion, that the color indicated its meaning.

I'm still not grasping this. In Window > Tags, you create or pick an existing tag, such as "Medications", and assign it to a color such as Red. So you see the color and the tag it's associated with. When you view/enter/edit transactions, you'll see both the red color and the Medications tag name. Where would the name of the color ever be used? The only time you'll see the color name is in the set-up Window > Tags screen, and there the color already is associated with a tag name, such as Red = Medications.

I don't understand why you'd want to rename the color Red to be the color "Medications". You'd have a tag called Medications associated with the color Medications:

Why? When you're entering a transaction, in the Tags field, you'd pick the Tag named Medications (the drop-down list of tags is not color-coded), and in the transaction you'd see the red-colored tag Medications.

The name of the color — whether it's Red or Medications or Happy Puppies — is not shown, and seems irrelevant.

You have referred several time to being able to rename a color in the Finder: "one is able to name the colors in the Finder for folders or files". In the Finder, if I right click on a folder, I can assign a Tag of my choosing, and assign it one of 7 colors:

Well, this is exactly the same as Quicken Mac. You create a tag and assign it one of 7 colors. You're not naming the color, you're naming a tag and assigning it a color. Which is exactly what the Tags window in Quicken allows you to do: create a tag and assign it a color.

Am I missing something? If there's something else you're referring to, please clarify.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jobworker
    jobworker Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Yes I did get myself turned around. I gave the description to the color which would have made changing the color name redundant. Somehow I got it into my head to wanted to change the name of the color and ceased to see the forest for the trees. Temporary blindness.

This discussion has been closed.