Provide way to compact database file for faster loads and response time (Q Mac)

Options
dan.greenberg.ct
dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭
edited March 20 in Product Enhancements

My open quicken database file dates back almost 20 years and is about 2GB in size. Looking at the contents of the database, it appears that the table ZFIPosition is taking up most of this space. I'm not sure but it looks like it may be an accumulation of intraday stock quotes taken over the years. Those numbers have no value once the market is closed so if that is the case, there should be an option to remove them and other unneeded data (even if that isn't the cause). This would greatly reduce the database size, speeding up response time, searches, backups, opening and closing files, etc.

Here is a thread in the community forum regarding same:

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• dickm2275
    dickm2275 Member ✭✭
    Options

On my window version I did this and did get the DB smaller. But you do loose the download definitions in the accounts. But you can re create them. Since it is a separate file you can check if the info looks correct.

In menu select File> create Copy or Backup > Create Copy or Template

Select the earliest date of data include all options

Select a file name that you can identify as the new one

Then check it out. I did remove some old broker accounts that I did not really need. and that made a big difference in the size.

• dan.greenberg.ct
    dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Those options don't exist on the Mac version, only Create a Backup which doesn't offer any options. The old version of Quicken did offer something similar to what I suggested.