Trying to add a "Hidden" security

Options
NotACPA
NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

When one is trying to add a security that's already in the Security List, but Hidden, Q should put up a message stating such, rather than the "Add Security" dialog closing but doing nothing.

Just happened to me. Took me a couple of attempts to figure out what was happening.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

8 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When working with Tools / Security List make sure that there's a checkmark in the box at "Show hidden securities". This ensures that you can see the hidden security before you try to add it again

When working with other investment views also keep an eye out for "show hidden securities" and select or deselect as needed.

Is there a reason for hiding one or more securities and then having to work with them again?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24
    Options

I held the MF several years ago and then, per my investment advisor, sold it … so I hid it.

Advisor, whose instructions I follow explicitly, just recommended a new purchase of it.

I have held, at one time or another, so many funds that I hide the ones not currently owned to keep the list manageable.

And, the reply of @UKR is indeed how I found the issue. BUT would have been SO MUCH simpler if Q had just told me the issue. Thus my Idea.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Whenever one attempts to add a new security and Quicken does not, the program should inform the user why. It also happens if you try to add with a different name and a duplicate ticker or vice versa. Your case with hidden security can be harder to identify but the fix should be broader.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@q_lurker An excellent point