Account looks like a category

Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in
Here's a new one. My Cash account has started looking like a category.In the Category list it shows as &quot_Cash&quot_, where formerly it showed correctly as &quot_&lt_Cash&gt_&quot_. It appears there as an &quot_Expense&quot_ category rather than a &quot_Cash&quot_ account.When transferring to the cash account, I see&lt_pre&gt_    &lt_Cash&gt_                     Expense&lt_/pre&gt_in the dropdown list, as opposed to&lt_pre&gt_    Transfer to/from... &lt_Cash&gt_&lt_/pre&gt_The account still appears in the accounts list, and transfers to &lt_Cash&gt_ still work. But something about it has become corrupt. Validation and super-validation didn't fix it. Anyone know how to fix this?--Edited by rlw at 05/23/2006 3:22 PM
Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What happens when you restore your backup?--MikeB<url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>How to ask questions the smart way</url>
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This change occurred undetected some time ago, and appears in all my backups going back a couple of months.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
  • Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    > Here's a new one. My Cash account has started looking> like a category.> > In the Category list it shows as "Cash", where> formerly it showed correctly as "<Cash>". It appears> there as an "Expense" category rather than a "Cash"> account.> > When transferring to the cash account, I see> <pre>    <Cash>                     Expense</pre>in> the dropdown list, as opposed to<pre>    Transfer> to/from... <Cash></pre>> The account still appears in the accounts list, and> transfers to <Cash> still work. But something about> it has become corrupt. Validation and> super-validation didn't fix it. Anyone know how to> fix this?> > --> Edited by rlw at 05/23/2006 3:22 PMTry this to fix it....Back up your file.Create a new category called Temp Cash or something similar. Then, use Find and Replace to move all your <Cash> transactions to this new category.Create a new Cash account.Use Find and Replace to move all transactions from the Temp Cash category to the <New Cash Account> category.This should allow you to remove the damaged <Cash> category while maintaining your records.Depending on the amount of transactions involved, you might want to use Find and Replace in batches of 50-75 transactions. You might have an issue if you do a massive find and replace.----------------------------------------Quicken SteveSignature - Please remember that this is a User-to-User community forum. If you come in to get an answer, see if there are any that you can provide. The more people who do that, the more likely you will get your answer.To help others trying to answer your question, go to "User Preferences" at the top middle of any forum page and then go to "My Profile" and fill in those fields.Intuit Employee's using the forum can be identified by the name "Quicken <First name>" followed by a red Q. Unless a poster has the above requirements they are not an Intuit employee.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, Steve. That got me halfway there (so I'm giving you half the allocated reward stars).Find/Replace worked with all 242 transfers in one go. (I'd copied my data onto another computer so figured I could replace any data damage easily.)But it only got me halfway there. Remaining in the old Cash account were hundreds of actual categorized cash transactions (as opposed to transfers).Lacking multiple transaction selection in Q2004D, I used QIF export/import to move all those transactions from the old Cash account to the new one. Deleting the old account and renaming the new one finished the job. Thanks again.--Edited by rlw at 05/24/2006 11:00 AM