Quicken PDF Printer

Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in
Anyone having a problem with the Quicken PDF Printer. I get an &quot_Activation Error&quot_ box popping up when I try to print to it. See the attached file.Thanks,Greg
Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10

Comments

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited February 2017
    I get nothing but blank pages on the .pdf document created using the Quicken pdf printer, thus there is nothing to print.If I print to a pdf4u printer I had to download as freeware, the page prints fine.  Why and how should I fix it?  And BTW, I used to have a Canon MP 450 printer, but have since replaced it with an HP multifunction.
  • MikeBMikeB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    > Anyone having a problem with the Quicken PDF Printer.> I get an "Activation Error" box popping up when I try> to print to it. See the attached file.> Let <url=http://www.quickenforums.com/search.jspa?objID=f1006>Search</url&gt; be your friend. There is a long thread <url=http://www.quickenforums.com/thread.jspa?forumID=1013&threadID=600002650&messageID=600016633#600016633>here</url&gt;. Pay particular attention to Quicken Antonio's posts in that thread and in another thread he started on PDF printing._____________________MikeB
  • MikeBMikeB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    > I get nothing but blank pages on the .pdf document> created using the Quicken pdf printer, thus there is> nothing to print.> > If I print to a pdf4u printer I had to download as> freeware, the page prints fine.  Why and how should I> fix it?  And BTW, I used to have a Canon MP 450> printer, but have since replaced it with an HP> multifunction.OK, 'fess up. Who stole gmalis1's id?_____________________MikeB
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited February 2017
    No one stole my ID.  I really can't print to the Quicken pdf printer!  I have to use an outside .pdf printer!
  • MikeBMikeB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    > No one stole my ID.  I really can't print to the> Quicken pdf printer!  I have to use an outside .pdf> printer!I assume you have followed all the basic advice we hand out, such as uninstalling, smearing chicken fat on your CD and then reinstalling? >:)_____________________MikeB
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited February 2017
    > > No one stole my ID.  I really can't print to the> > Quicken pdf printer!  I have to use an outside> .pdf> > printer!> > I assume you have followed all the basic advice we> hand out, such as uninstalling, smearing chicken fat> on your CD and then reinstalling? >:)> _____________________> MikeBTired the other fixes, such as uninstalling the Quicken .pdf printer, then running RestorePDFdriver.  That did nothing.Since I read every message on this forum, I am, for the first time, actually petrified of uninstalling Quicken and then reinstalling it.What happens if all I am left with is a pile of chicken fat?
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Can't get the courage to uninstall and reinstall Quicken 2006.  Everything else works just fine.I just deleted the Quicken pdf printer.  Will use the freeware pdf4u adobe pdf creator instead.OK, call me a woos, I deserve it.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Greg,Search on here for "error code 30".  There are numerous threads regarding that error message.Good luck.If not, try downloading pdf4u freeware (pdf4free).  It does the same as the Quicken pdf printer and its free.  It installs a virtual pdf creator printer.
  • MikeBMikeB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    > > > No one stole my ID.  I really can't print to the> > > Quicken pdf printer!  I have to use an outside .pdf> > > printer!> > > > I assume you have followed all the basic advice we> > hand out, such as uninstalling, smearing chicken fat> > on your CD and then reinstalling? >:)> > Tired the other fixes, such as uninstalling the> Quicken .pdf printer, then running RestorePDFdriver.>  That did nothing.> > Sinc
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited February 2017
    OK here is what I did to get the Quicken pdf printer to finally work for me.As I mentioned previously, I have installed the FREEWARE pdf4u Adobe PDF Creator printer (see PDF4Free), since I couldn't print anything with the Quicken pdf printer.I went into the Quicken pdf printer properties and saw that it was set up on printer port lpt1.  Now, from my old DOS days, I know this can't be correct.  It should be set up as a virtual printer.  And besides, I have nothing connected to lpt1 on my computer, since my HP printer is connected via USB.I looked at the pdf4u printer and saw the port is set as "pdfinst local port".  What that is, I have no idea.  In Quicken when I try to print to the pdf4u printer, I see "PDF4U Adobe PDF Creator on Ne00:" in the drop down box of choices.  Once again, I have no idea what Ne00: is.So, I go back to the Quicken PDF printer, go to Properties, go to ports and see the whole list of "printer ports", most of which I don't understand.  But I see a box for "pdfinst local port".  I check that.  Now I have the Quicken PDF printer AND the PDF4U Adobe PDF Creator printer on that port.When I go into Quicken and try to print to the Quicken PDF printer, I now see "Quicken PDF Printer on Ne03:".  I have no idea what that is, but now, when I print using the Quicken PDF printer from the drop down box of printer choices, I FINALLY, get a .pdf file created with my report showing!!!!I am in no way a computer geek, but I think that the Quicken PDF printer HAS to be set to some virtual printer port, not an actual physical printer port.  Does this make any sense?  Is this a correct assumption?  Does this help anyone else?
  • MikeBMikeB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I don't know how you respond to these posts, but they are all over the place relative to the preceding/succeeding posts. :-Anyway, I'm glad you got your printer problem sorted out, but I think you actually circumvented a different problem by reassigning printer ports. My Quicken PDF printer is on Lpt1:, my Fax is on ne00:, my PDF995 printer on ne01:, and my real printer (Canon Pixma connected via USB) is on ne02:. It is only the Fax printer I've not tested from Quicken, all others work just fine. FWIW._____________________MikeB
  • jepollardjepollard Member
    edited August 2016
    > OK here is what I did to get the Quicken pdf printer> to finally work for me.> > As I mentioned previously, I have installed the> FREEWARE pdf4u Adobe PDF Creator printer (see> PDF4Free), since I couldn't print anything with the> Quicken pdf printer.> > I went into the Quicken pdf printer properties and> saw that it was set up on printer port lpt1.  Now,> from my old DOS days, I know this can't be correct.> It should be set up as a virtual printer.  And> d besides, I have nothing connected to lpt1 on my> computer, since my HP printer is connected via USB.> > I looked at the pdf4u printer and saw the port is set> as "pdfinst local port".  What that is, I have no> idea.  In Quicken when I try to print to the pdf4u> printer, I see "PDF4U Adobe PDF Creator on Ne00:" in> the drop down box of choices.  Once again, I have no> idea what Ne00: is.> > So, I go back to the Quicken PDF printer, go to> Properties, go to ports and see the whole list of> "printer ports", most of which I don't understand.> But I see a box for "pdfinst local port".  I check> k that.  Now I have the Quicken PDF printer AND the> PDF4U Adobe PDF Creator printer on that port.> > When I go into Quicken and try to print to the> Quicken PDF printer, I now see "Quicken PDF Printer> on Ne03:".  I have no idea what that is, but now,> when I print using the Quicken PDF printer from the> drop down box of printer choices, I FINALLY, get a> .pdf file created with my report showing!!!!> I am in no way a computer geek, but I think that the> Quicken PDF printer HAS to be set to some virtual> printer port, not an actual physical printer port.  > Does this make any sense?  Is this a correct> assumption?I don't think so.  Printing to a pdf file is not going to a printer anyway, it's going to a file_ the print dialog takes care of making sure you pick a valid file to "print" to.  I don't think the device matters much.  I have the Q2006 pdf printer set to print to LPT1 and I have no trouble generating valid pdf files for reports.--John PollardPlease post questions in the forums, not via email.