downloading mutual bond share prices

universeuniverse Member ✭✭
edited May 2018 in
I note that bond prices are erratic in my downloading to Quicken.  Record shows fund stock prices daily, while several days may go by before another bond price shows in Quicken.  Is this standard and, if so, what is the reason?  Not a trader so not particularly concerned about daily price, but often, and sometimes consistently,  month end prices are not shown so I must calculate in order to agree with mutual fund statement.  Any experience or ideas?

Comments

• universeuniverse Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    q.lurker said:
    Thanks, but those are sites that speak generally about downloading. They do not answer my question about day gaps in downloading bond prices while stock prices are recorded daily.  Incidentally, I think lingerer might be a better tag than lurker.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:
    Huh?  First you said:  "I note that bond prices are erratic in my downloading to Quicken."

So I give you links to articles about downloading security prices (which in the context of Quicken includes bond-oriented mutual funds, as implied by your title).  

Then you comment "Thanks, but those are sites that speak generally about downloading."   

Of course they do.  That is what you asked about.

If the term 'mutual' in your heading is a red-herring, and you really are asking about pricing of bonds (not mutual funds that own bonds), I will tell you that bond prices are only downloaded through your brokerage-provided prices.  The Intuit servers that provide daily prices do not include individual bonds.  

For the data from a broker, they may opt to only include pricing data when they also provide other transactions.  If on a given day, you have no transactions, they may opt to not provide security prices, including prices for bonds, on those day.  It is at the discretion of the brokerage as to what data they provide and when.
  • universeuniverse Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    q.lurker said:
    I appreciate your response.  Sorry I was not clear about my question about bond funds prices not downloading properly. I have printed and read Quicken downloading instructions carefully and have for a number of years successfully imported prices and transactions with two brokers and two fund companies so I think I understand the directions. My problem is with one fund company, TIAA-CREF. Their variable annuity funds do not have a public trading symbol but they do have an inhouse one.  I have those pseudo symbols in my setup and I am able to download into an excel worksheet all dates with no problem, but not so for Quicken. The bond fund prices have unexplainable gaps in this program and while I can get the last price for funds such as CREF Stock, etc. I am  having a duplication problem with the securities funds.  I must accept zero shares of each fund in the account before I can get to a placeholder entry that I can then convert to reinvested income. My transaction screen is cluttered until I delete one by one. I have checked every detail of their instructions and my set up.  It appears that their system  does not see the name of the fund but the price does come in. I was told I must accept what the screen shows  before I can get to the placeholder that brings in any and all transactions.   Go figure.

I appreciate the reference to brokersâ€TM discretion on when to provide bond (not fund)  prices. That was precisely the answer that explained my inability to get a May 27 price by updating. I wonâ€TMt go into further detail, but that I now understand.

It is very possible that I have done something that is causing this problem, but I cannot for the life of me figure out. After this post,  I will take no more of this groupâ€TMs time for this problem and simply do manual pricing and entries or maybe move the funds to the company with which I am having no problem.

My apologies for adding to my original question and thereby confusing anyone who takes the time to read it.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Any "gaps" in prices for non-publicly traded securities (like TIAA-CREF's annuity funds) are 100% the responsibility of the financial institution.

TIAA-CREF has their own, unusual, method of providing prices.

For current prices ("current" as determined by TIAA-CREF), TIAA-CREF downloads one "Shares Added" transaction with zero shares and the current price for each security. After accepting the "Shares Added" transaction, you can delete the "Shares Added" transaction: the Quicken price history will have been updated, and deleting the transaction will not change the price history. The "Shares Added" transaction should not be confused with a Quicken "placeholder".

For historical prices, TIAA-CREF allows the user to download a comma separated values (.csv) file, which can be imported into Quicken (though you probably will have to fix a small problem in the file format*).

[To simplify the price import process, I suggest saving the downloaded price file in the same folder where your Quicken data resides, and giving the file a very short name ... like "p.csv". I do this because the Quicken price import process will not allow you to "Browse" for the .csv file; you must manually key the complete name, including path.]

To import a .csv file of prices into Quicken: first open the Investing | Portfolio view. Then:

File | Import File | Import security prices .... and tell Quicken the name of the .csv file (including the path, if the file is not in the same folder where the Quicken data file is located).

[* To fix the bug in the downloaded .csv file: open the downloaded .csv file in Notepad. If the first price record has a space in column 1, delete the space and save the file.]