Is "Exclude internal" fixed post-Q2004D?

Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in
In Quicken 2004 Deluxe, the feature to &quot_Exclude internal&quot_ transfers from a report is broken. I see the same report whether the setting is &quot_Include all&quot_ or &quot_Exclude internal&quot_. I.e., the internal transfers are visible. (If I set it to &quot_Exclude all&quot_, that works as expected.)I really need &quot_Exclude internal&quot_ to work in order to get accurate reports.My question is: what later version of Quicken, if any, has this bug fixed?&lt_i&gt_Quicken Matt:  Fixed title&lt_/i&gt_Message was edited by Quicken Matt at Aug 18, 2005 10:24 AM
Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.

Comments

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Oops. This message board truncated my original Subject, which was supposed to be<b>Is "Exclude internal" fixed post-Q2004D?</b>
  • MikeBMikeB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It is fixed in Quicken 2006. I believe it is also fixed in Quicken 2005, but I cannot vouch for that as I don't have Quicken 2005.--____________________MikeBPlease ask questions in the Forums and not by email.
  • jepollardjepollard Member
    edited August 2016
    > In Quicken 2004 Deluxe, the feature to "Exclude> internal" transfers from a report is broken. I don't claim to know what Intuit's intention was, but for the record, the evidence does not indicate that "Exclude internal" transfers was broken, but that "internal transfers" were redefined.If you read the Q2004 Help closely you will see that it does not define an "Internal transfer" as a transfer "between" accounts that appear in the report (as did previous Quicken versions), but as a transfer "within" accounts that appear in the report.  The only transfers that qualify as being "within" an account are "Opening Balance" transactions and possibly account adjustment transactions ... transactions where the category field contains the name of the account containing the transaction in square brackets.  I think you'll find that "Exclude internal" in Q2004 does exclude those transfers that occur "within" the same account.> I see> the same report whether the setting is "Include all"> or "Exclude internal". I.e., the internal transfers> are visible. (If I set it to "Exclude all", that> works as expected.)> > I really need "Exclude internal" to work in order to> get accurate reports.> > My question is: what later version of Quicken, if> any, has this bug fixed?Q2005 has given you what you - and most of us - want_ it has restored the way that "Internal transfers" used to work prior to Q2004 ... but it has not modified the Help to reflect that.One reason the distinction between the two definitions of "internal transfer" may be important is that it is conceivable that someone might want a report that excluded opening balance and adjustment transactions but included all other transfers.  As it stands, that would require an additional option for handling transfers.--John PollardPlease post questions in the forums, not via email.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Interestingly enough, I was able to make Q2004 do what I want.Report options include both Accounts and Categories, and there are Categories corresponding to each Account.Clearing the checkboxes for the Categories corresponding to Accounts I wanted to exclude transfers to/from enabled me to generate the report I wanted.To make this more concrete: I recently sold a house. I had an Asset account named "House" and I wanted the income from the sale to show on the report when I transferred money from the asset account into a brokerage account. I also wanted closing costs which were deducted directly from the asset account to show as expenses.In Q2004D, if I include House under both the Accounts and Categories options, and exclude all other accounts from the Categories option, and set Exclude Internal, I get precisely the report I want. I'm not sure why_ it seems like a bug to have a "FROM House" line in the Income section of my report even though Exclude Internal is set. But there it is.Interestingly enough, I can't quite seem to get the same report in Q2005D without altering my data, because Q2005 wants to include "Bal Fwd" numbers in the report (which are pseudo-transfers within the House account to capture appreciation). If I were to change the data to use an Appreciation category instead of the <House> pseudo-transfer, I could get what I want from Q2005.(Unfortunately, I upgraded one of my machines to Q2005 (which I'd been resisting due to the QIF issue) before realizing that Q2004 gave me the desired result. Now I'll have to determine which version I like better.)
  • jepollardjepollard Member
    edited August 2016
    > Interestingly enough, I was able to make Q2004 do> what I want.> > Report options include both Accounts and Categories,> and there are Categories corresponding to each> Account.> > Clearing the checkboxes for the Categories> corresponding to Accounts I wanted to exclude> transfers to/from enabled me to generate the report I> wanted.My apologies for not including this in my earlier post.  Actually, if you check the archives in Google (for the Quicken newsgroup), you will find that I, and at least one other person, suggested this quite some time ago.  As time passes, the memory cells tend to disintegrate.  Glad you discovered this on your own and posted it here.  Thanks.< snip >--John PollardPlease post questions in the forums, not via email.