Q2011 One Step Update does not download transactions from the bank

ukfigsukfigs Member
edited October 2018 in
Updated to Q2011 H&B and now the OSU process does not download my bank transactions. If I update from the register then I have to answer the banks challenge/response questions for every account and then the transactions are downloaded. Normally the challenge questions are asked if the bank does not recognize the computer and I think the recognition is stored locally in cookies. The OSU process all worked fine with Q2010 and still works with my other accounts just not my main bank. Any idea how to fix this, is this an Internet Explorer cookie setting issue as I do not get asked the challenge questions when I use my Firefox browser and I use the exact same login for quicken OSU.
I have tried file validate, deactivate and reactivate,linking the files etc etc with no change in behavior. It is very frustrating as you cannot schedule updates.
Would appreciate any suggestions

Comments

• Chris54322Chris54322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Quicken use the embedded web browser (IE) so IE setting do affect it.
    You might changing the settings on IE to accept third party cookies.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It's possible that the way that Quicken obtains your transactions from your bank changed from "Direct Connect" to "Express Web Connect" (see http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/online-services/download/7956.html).  "Express Web Connect" is known to have difficulties managing the additional "security" challenge questions financial institutions have added to their web sites.  "Direct Connect" avoids the issue because it does not access the financial institution's web site.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • ukfigsukfigs Member
    edited July 2016
    Sherlock said:

It's possible that the way that Quicken obtains your transactions from your bank changed from "Direct Connect" to "Express Web Connect" (see http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/online-services/download/7956.html).  "Express Web Connect" is known to have difficulties managing the additional "security" challenge questions financial institutions have added to their web sites.  "Direct Connect" avoids the issue because it does not access the financial institution's web site.

Sherlock
    The connection method shows as express web connect, the problem I have is that this all worked fine under 2010 and I do not see any option to change the way quicenk connects to the bank back to what it was before. All I did was select the "improve connection" setting when I updated. I did change the IE options to accept 3rd party cookies as siuggested, as this is the method used by the bank to identify the computer and hence not ask the security questions when I login via my browser (works with IE and Firefox). I just tried a connection and it just asked the security question once versus 4 times before (once for each account) but only one account had any new transactions so that may be why. I will try again tomorrow.
    edited October 2018
    The "improve connection" may have initiated a change from "Direct Connect" to "Express Web Connect".  You can determine if the financial institution provides "Direct Connect" at:  http://web.intuit.com/personal/quicken/search.cfm
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • ukfigsukfigs Member
    edited July 2016
    Sherlock said:

The "improve connection" may have initiated a change from "Direct Connect" to "Express Web Connect".  You can determine if the financial institution provides "Direct Connect" at:  http://web.intuit.com/personal/quicken/search.cfm

My bank has always been Web Connect versus Direct Connect and Quicken 2010 downloaded the transactions without asking the challenge questions but 2011 does not suggesting that something has changed on the Quicken end. After using 2011 for the past week I do not see a lot of improved or additional features and it still cannot print an invoice with a logo. If I cannot fix this I may just go back to 2010 and get a refund for the 2011 version, maybe by 2013 when I will be required to upgrade there will be better choices.
  • Chris54322Chris54322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sherlock said:

I do know that they changed some of the category matching and connection software in Quicken 2011 to be able to access more financial institutions and that could have had affected this.
    edited October 2018
    I hope that you are already aware that "Express Web Connect" is not the same as "Web Connect".  As you appear to be using "Express Web Connect", it's also possible that the financial institution may have changed their web site access such that Quicken 2010 may have the same issues you're experiencing with Quicken 2011.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10