Research Scam?.

Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in
Got the following in my e-mail today.  I assume its a scam of some sort, I'm unwilling to click the link to verify, but thoguht I'd share in case others were similarly contacted.  June 19, 2006 Dear Quicken user, Quicken is committed to providing you with the best possible product and services. By knowing more about your experience with Quicken, Quicken can develop and improve its products and services to better meet your needs. For this reason we are asking for your participation in an online survey. http://research.constat.com/survey/cs/con06014?source=f3mxveg7bf_3 Please visit the website shown above and complete the survey today. If you complete the survey we will include your name in a drawing for cash prizes totaling $1,000. To ensure confidentiality, Quicken has hired ConStat, an independent research firm, to tally the results and report them back to Quicken. Please be assured the information gathered is for research purposes only. As one of a small number of Quicken users selected at random for the study your participation is extremely important. I hope you will take the time to answer the survey and want to thank you in advance for helping us. Quicken looks forward to continuing to serve all of your financial software needs. Sincerely, Jesse Ryan Project Manager ConStat, Inc. 1860 Blake Street, Suite 650 Denver, CO 80202 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Intuit respects the personal nature of e-mail communication. Every effort is made to offer only information that may be of value to you or your business. If you do not wish to receive marketing e-mail from Intuit in the future, please click here: http://privacy.intuit.com/email. This e-mail was sent to the following address:

Comments

• TodTod Member
    edited August 2016
    Looking at the constat website, they look like a legit organization.  I wouldn't have dropped it into the scam category.--Tod --- Know the calculations before drawing conclusions.
  • MikeBMikeB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    One of the best ways to differentiate spam from legit mail is if the body of the message contains the userid of the intended recipient. I think it was a genuine attempt by Intuit to survey their user base.--MikeB<url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>How to ask questions the smart way</url>
  • Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    This is in fact a legitimate survey of some selected Quicken users that we've decided to distribute through ComStat, an independent research company.  So, your responses will be safe.  However, we do appreciate you posting this if you were unsure--we want to make sure no one is invoking our products without our consent!--___________________________________Quicken KathrynSignature - Please remember that this is a User-to-User community forum. If you come in to get an answer, see if there are any that you can provide. The more people who do that, the more likely you will get your answer.To help others trying to answer your question, go to "User Preferences" at the top middle of any forum page and then go to "My Profile" and fill in those fields.Intuit Employee's using the forum can be identified by the name "Quicken " followed by a red Q. Unless a poster has the above requirements they are not an Intuit employee.
  • Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for the info guys that's good to know.  Perhpas I'm overly cautious, but I never trust a third party source at first.  Anyone can make a claim to be doing research for a company, and it's all too easy to get infected with viruses while visiting sites you don't know anything about.  One of the reason phishing scams are so successful and prevalent is because there's very little to distinguish a good request from a bad.  Take a case like this where a third party, which I don't know sends me an e-mail from an address I don't recognize (it was a ConStat suffix), asking for me to follow a link to a website and enter information on how I use financial software?  The only reference at all to the Intuit website was a link to their privacy policy.  To me everything about it screamed scam, but I'm happy to find out it was legit.    Thanks again.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It also looks suspicious because the survey message says "Quicken" where it should say "Intuit". Scam e-mails often contain errors like this.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.