Home

Converting files from Quicken 8 for DOS to Q2010

AnnieLAnnieL Member
edited January 2019 in
I have looked at the "Using an intermediate version to convert older versions of Quicken
Updated: 9/19/2009 | Article ID: 3838" and found the comment to use Quicken 8 for DOS as an intermediate on the way to converting files for new Quicken versions. Since what I have is Quicken 8 for DOS, I thought maybe we were ready to just put the group of files into my new Quicken folder and open Q2010 and off we'd go. Nope. It didn't automatically recognize that there was something to convert and when I pointed it to the QDT file, it tells me that it can't open it because it is read-only, which it isn't....so what am I missing here?

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I think you misunderstood the article.  Your Q8 is WAY too old for loading into any more recent version.  The gist of the article is you will need to load intermediate versions of Quicken (provided at that link) to upgrade your file to that version.  Once you get up to Q2002 you can then load the file into Q2010.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • AnnieLAnnieL Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

I think you misunderstood the article.  Your Q8 is WAY too old for loading into any more recent version.  The gist of the article is you will need to load intermediate versions of Quicken (provided at that link) to upgrade your file to that version.  Once you get up to Q2002 you can then load the file into Q2010.

Thanks for the help.
    From what I understand, I will need to download and install an intermediate version, use it to convert the files to that level, then download another intermediate version, use it to convert to that level and so forth...until I get to 2002. Then I can use Q2010 to pull it on in.

Can you give me an idea which intermediate versions I'll need to use, and will I need to start with the Q8?
    edited December 2016
    GeoffG said:

Off hand, no.  I would start with Q98 and then Q2002.

Since you already have Q2010 installed, you should consider deleting and using this utility http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/getting-started/installation/4108.html

This should minimize any issues with having Q2010 installed and going backwards.  You only need to run the once, going from Q2010 to Q98.  Going the normal upgrade path, Quicken should be fine.

Be sure you have a good backup from Q8.   

It's a bit of work, but should not be that hard.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • AnnieLAnnieL Member
    edited July 2016
    GeoffG said:

So, I uninstall Q2010 and install Q98.
    It installs cleanly and I try to "open" the files to be converted.
    It recognizes that they need to be converted and starts the process...only to tell me that
     "There is not enough disk space on the destination drive to make a backup of your current Quicken files....free up enough space...6305KB and try again."
    There is plenty of space on my C drive....any suggestions?
    edited December 2016
    GeoffG said:

You can either try going with Q99 with hopefully better results, or contact Quicken chat to troubleshoot  https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/contact.php?plvl1=win
  • Dell FDell F Member
    edited July 2016
    Annie did not misunderstand the article.  The Quicken support article (now updated 12/02/2011 Article ID: GEN82211) incorrectly states "To convert from a version of Quicken for DOS to a current version of Quicken or QuickBooks for Windows, use Quicken 8 for DOS."

I contacted Quicken support today, and the correct way to convert is set out below:

I would like to inform you that you can convert your Quicken for DOS version data into Quicken 2012 program. For this, you need to install Quicken 99 and then Quicken 2004 as intermediate versions.

First, install Quicken 99 version as an intermediate. After installing, please convert your data into Quicken 99.

After converting you data to Quicken 99, please install Quicken 2004. After installing Quicken 2004, you can convert your Quicken 99 data into it.

After your Quicken data is converted to Quicken 2004, please install the Quicken 2012 Program and convert the data file of Quicken 2004 into Quicken 2012 program.

Note: Before converting, please be ensure that Quicken 2012 version should be Deluxe or higher as Quicken 2012 Starter Edition does not have the capacity to convert the data file from earlier version of Quicken.

To install Quicken 99 and more details, please follow the below mentioned link:

http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/articles/getting-started/upgrading-and-conversion/3838.html (Note - this is the link that incorrectly says to use Quicken 8 for DOS to convert Quicken 8 for DOS files.  This link has the download links for Quicken 99 for Windows and Quicken 2004 for Windows).