How do I fix a corrupt data file?

MikeMike Member
edited January 2018 in
I am running Quicken 2010 Deluxe on Windows 7 (AMD/64). I have run into a problem
with data corruption and I would like to figure out how to fix this in such a way that the
problem is gone and I will be able to run a validate operation and have it return cleanly.
Is this an unrealistic goal? I have been running Quicken for more than 15 years now
and have a large amount of data I would like to maintain. I know that I can prune out
old accounts and securities that have had no activity in a decade or so but I would
prefer not to. So I guess that the first question is:

Is this a reasonable goal?

The next question deals with a specific corruption. I have a checking account into
which both my wife and I automatically deposit our paychecks. I have a scheduled
deposit for each of us and every time there is a deposit I manually jigger the
numbers to get everything right (SSI up .01, MED down .01, etc.). This txn includes
a transfer to an ESPP where a subsequent purchase operation takes place a
couple of days later. The problem is that I seem to have arrived in a state where the
checking account correctly shows one transaction but the stock account shows two
identical deposits. By manipulating the dates I now have one txn in the checking
account on one day but two txns in the stock account for the same amount but with
different dates. I have tried to delete each of the two stock txns but in both cases the
message is that this is a split transaction and I need to go to the other side to make
changes. I have tried deleting the txn in the checking account first and one of the
stock txns does go away. But I still can't delete the remaining stock txn as Quicken
reports that it cannot find the the split txn. I have run validate & super validate
multiple times and in each case it reports a number of problems having been found
and fixed, but the problem still remains. And when I rerun the validate or super
validate operations I get the same set of issues with the same set of problems
reported as being fixed. How can I clean this up? Or is this impossible?

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I don't think you can fix the problem with a validate; I believe this is a known bug, which I think was fixed at some point (maybe in Q2011). You should definitely make sure you are on the most recent release of Q2010, which is R10 (Help > About Quicken) - though I don't guarantee that release has fixed the bug.

As I recall, the only way to fix the existing transaction(s) is to delete the paycheck, then delete the orphaned transfer in the "other" account, then re-enter the paycheck. I think someone said you could "cut" the paycheck, delete the orphaned transfer, then "paste" the paycheck back in the register.

I believe the problem is triggered by modifying a split register transaction - in a Quicken account register - that contains a transfer. You *might* be able to prevent the problem by having Quicken "remind" you to enter the paycheck, and modifying the paycheck transaction - when reminded - as you are entering it in the register.
  • MikeMike Member
    edited March 2017
    I am trying to submit a comment to the answer by NoWayJose (01/22/2011 01:19PM)
    but can't figure out how to do that.  I am not sure if this will show up as a response to
    that answer or a comment in response to the original posting.  Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will be picking up Q11 at some point but I prefer to wait
    until the first few updates have gone out.  I am running the most recent update for Q10
    (R10).  As I had mentioned previously, I had deleted the (payroll) txn from the checking
    account and that got rid of one but not both of the duplicate txns in the ESPP account.
    I was then unable to delete the second ESPP transaction from the ESPP because
    Quicken would complain about being unable to find the transaction.

UPDATE: I just tried deleting the payroll transaction again so as to try and delete the
    extra ESPP transaction and report the exact text.  This time I was able to delete the
    extra ESPP transaction.  Go figure.  I am now in the process of copying, deleting, and
    recreating each of the txns reported as a problem in the validate log.  We'll see how
    that goes.  Not sure why I am getting a different behavior today but perhaps it is a
    step in the right direction.

UPDATE: I ran a validate operation and got about a dozen transactions reported
    with errors.  I repeated the copy/delete/paste procedure on the earliest transaction
    reported as an error.  I then closed Quicken and restarted and then immediately
    reran the validate operation.  This time it reported what appears to be the same
    error twice on a single transaction.  Or at least it appears to me to be the same
    transaction.  I can only find the transaction once in the register.  The errors are
    reported as follows:

Quicken found an investment backfill transaction that was not correctly linked and
    repaired it.  No action required.
    "ZZZ ESPP"  9/14/2005 "Balancing Cash Adjustment"
    Quicken found an incorrect backfilled investment transaction and reparied or
    removed it.  Please check your investment account transaction history.
    Quicken found an investment backfill transaction that was not correctly linked and

Note also that they also misspelled repaired (reparied) in one of the duplicate
    messages but not in the other.
  • MikeMike Member
    edited July 2016
    Mike said:

but can't figure out how to do that.  I am not sure if this will show up as a response to

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will be picking up Q11 at some point but I prefer to wait
    until the first few updates have gone out.  I am running the most recent update for Q10
    (R10).  As I had mentioned previously, I had deleted the (payroll) txn from the checking
    account and that got rid of one but not both of the duplicate txns in the ESPP account.

UPDATE: I just tried deleting the payroll transaction again so as to try and delete the
    extra ESPP transaction and report the exact text.  This time I was able to delete the
    extra ESPP transaction.  Go figure.  I am now in the process of copying, deleting, and
    recreating each of the txns reported as a problem in the validate log.  We'll see how
    that goes.  Not sure why I am getting a different behavior today but perhaps it is a

with errors.  I repeated the copy/delete/paste procedure on the earliest transaction
    reran the validate operation.  This time it reported what appears to be the same
    error twice on a single transaction.  Or at least it appears to me to be the same
    transaction.  I can only find the transaction once in the register.  The errors are
    reported as follows:

Another update:

Quicken reports two identical errors for the 9/14/2005 transaction.  This time I deleted the transaction and recreated it with a new date.  I then closed Quicken, restarted it, and ran Validate again.  Again the log showed the same two problems for 9/14/2005.  But there are no transactions in that account on that date. I then exited Quicken, restarted it, and then ran Super Validate.  Same result.  

How can the validate operation report problems with a transaction on a given date when there are no transactions with that date in the account?  Any suggestions on how to resolve this?  I don't suppose that there is some way for Quicken to export all of its data in a user readable format such that it could then be manually verified and/or massaged and then reimported?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mike said:

reported as follows:

Something to consider - they changed the validate routine in Q2011 in particular for cleaning up orphaned transfers. In addition, Q2011 is already up to patch level R5. It might be worth trying Q2011 to see if it resolves your orphan ESPP transfers.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • MikeMike Member
    edited July 2016
    Mike said:

reported as follows:

Another update:

I am now running Quicken 2011 Deluxe R8 which I assume is the current released version.

I have run validate and super-validate and there are no errors reported, although running super-validate twice produced the same message "Some transactions corrected".  I would have assumed that after the first run had completed, subsequent runs would be unable to find transactions to be corrected.

Also, I find that there are still corrupt transactions remaining.  For example, when I go to my credit card account I find a transaction that had been downloaded with the payee/name of "Finance Charge" but no amount (zero).  But it is listed as a transfer from another account (HELOC).  Every month I get these zero amount Finance Charge entries and I usually delete them.  But in this case I am unable to do so.  Quicken reports an error: "This transaction is a transfer to a split and cannot be deleted here". When I select "Go to Matching Transfer" it takes me to an unrelated split transaction that otherwise appears to be normal.  

Now from past experience I know that I can delete this split transaction and then delete the bogus transaction, and then recreate the split transaction but I am bothered by the fact that validate didn't detect this.  How many more of these corrupted transactions are there? And how do I find them?  Do I really need to delete and recreate each of the otherwise good transactions so as to be able to delete the bogus transaction?  

In the past some of the corrupted transactions have been payroll deposits with numerous transfers to different accounts/categories. These have been somewhat painful to recreate.  I have been using Quicken for quite a few years now and I would like to continue using it but I am bothered by the inability to find and fix corrupted entries.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Rather than deleting the potentially corrupted split transaction, try cutting it instead. The steps would be:  Cut the split transaction, delete the orphan transfer, paste the split transaction.

Regarding the finance charge transaction, you might want to delete any associated memorized payee and check your renaming rules to ensure neither is adding the bogus HELOC reference.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list