Sales Tax Rate

Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in
My state has just changed the Sales Tax Rate for the third time in less then a year. Is there a chance Intuit will ever recognize that in the real world Sales Tax Rates change and allow a user to change the rate in Quicken H&amp_B? There are times that I forget to change the rate on an invoice so I have to make uo the difference.Greg
Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10

Comments

• Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    > My state has just changed the Sales Tax Rate for the> third time in less then a year. Is there a chance> Intuit will ever recognize that in the real world> Sales Tax Rates change and allow a user to change the> rate in Quicken H&B? There are times that I forget to> change the rate on an invoice so I have to make uo> the difference.> > GregOpen an invoice and enter something with the new tax rate. In the Tax Account field, select New and create a new Sales Tax account with the new rate.Once the tax account is created, go to the Invoice account register and choose Options > Invoice defaults and select the new sales tax account as the default.----------------------------------------Quicken SteveSignature - Please remember that this is a User-to-User community forum. If you come in to get an answer, see if there are any that you can provide. The more people who do that, the more likely you will get your answer.To help others trying to answer your question, go to "User Preferences" at the top middle of any forum page and then go to "My Profile" and fill in those fields.Please post all questions in the forum. I do not provide answers via email or forum messages. Intuit Employee's using the forum can be identified by the name "Quicken <First name>" followed by a red Q. Unless a poster has the above requirements they are not an Intuit employee.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Q Steve,Thanks for the workaround even though it seems a little cumbersome. I have 2 questions though. Do you think we'll ever be able to just change the sales tax rate and what are the significance of the *'s in the current sales tax account (ie: *Sales Tax*)? Also, in the invoice account register, I didn't find Options to change the default tax account.Thanks,Greg--Edited by ggrotyohann at 12/11/2006 1:53 PM
  • Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    > Q Steve,> > Thanks for the workaround even though it seems a> little cumbersome. I have 2 questions though. Do you> think we'll ever be able to just change the sales tax> rate and what are the significance of the *'s in the> current sales tax account (ie: *Sales Tax*)? Also, in> the invoice account register, I didn't find Options> to change the default tax account.> > Thanks,> > Greg> > --> Edited by ggrotyohann at 12/11/2006 1:53 PMI don't think you'll ever be able to just change the tax rate. The method of using multiple sales tax accounts was implemented to accomodate customers that have customers in different states. For these users, just changing the tax rate within a single sales tax account would create book keeping nightmares when it came time to pay their sales tax.On the other hand, people in your situation with all customers subject to the same tax rate, the multiple account solution doesn't work as smoothly, but setting the new tax account as the default account should take care of most of the issues with this method. The options button is in the upper right hand portion of your invoice register. On the same level as the View, Report, Print and How do I? buttonsI don't think the astersisks in the account name serve any purpose other than making the account stand out from the rest so you don't use it for something other than sales tax by mistake.----------------------------------------Quicken SteveSignature - Please remember that this is a User-to-User community forum. If you come in to get an answer, see if there are any that you can provide. The more people who do that, the more likely you will get your answer.To help others trying to answer your question, go to "User Preferences" at the top middle of any forum page and then go to "My Profile" and fill in those fields.Please post all questions in the forum. I do not provide answers via email or forum messages. Intuit Employee's using the forum can be identified by the name "Quicken <First name>" followed by a red Q. Unless a poster has the above requirements they are not an Intuit employee.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for pointing me to options. I looked all the left side but never thought to look on the right. Sometimes when you spend a lot of time staring at a computer screen, you miss the obvious.Thanks again,Greg
  • iiimafiiimaf Member
    edited August 2016
    Steve:I have never used Quicken H&B so this comment is based on other accounting software.  When a sales tax rate changes, I have always created a new tax rate.  If you simply edit the original rate you run the risk of affecting all the invoices that used the old rate.