Corporate merger of AT&T with SBC

Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in
I inherited 57 shares of AT&amp_T from my mother-in-law.I subsequently transfered these shares from Morgan Stanley to Schwab.My portfolio view shows that I have 57 shares, however, when I record the 11/25/05 merger as a Corporate Acqusition (stock for stock) I get a message that says &quot_No shares available for the acquired security&quot_.What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You're not giving enough information for us to determine what you're doing wrong.SBC acquired AT&T, but the surviving name is AT&T and the surviving stock is what used to be SBC. This is confusing_ have you got it right?If you've got that much under control, you'll have to report back with more specifics of what you're doing.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
  • Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I have the details worked out just fine!!!The problem is that Quicken does not recognize that I have 57 shares of AT&T.The shares are shown in that account along with their associated cost basis, but when I use the Corporate Acquistion (stock for stock) function, I am told that there are "No shares available for the acquired company".
  • jr7107jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Complete an "Add Shares" transaction for the AT&T shares with the correct cost basis.This will give you the position for the corporate acquistion.Your other post was not clear enough to determine what the issue was.--JRMore details and specifics are always helpful to eliminate the need for assumptions in the response.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
    edited July 2016
    I have an additional question in regards to the AT&T merger.  I had 42.927 shares of AT& T.  They merged with SBC, keeping the AT&T name, at an exchange rate of .779420.  I now have 33.458162 shares.  I have tried several ways of entering this transaction to no avail.  Any suggestions as to how to do this would be appreciated!
    edited July 2016
    IF you had NO SBC shares at the time of the acquisition of AT&T, all you should have to do is enter a (reverse) stock split of the AT&T shares .779420 to 1.  This should correctly show your new shares of 33.458162.  The reverse split transaction should also let you enter the 'after split' share price (which you can get from the transmittal notice from AT&T) and establish you new basis.Message was edited by         retiree     at {1}
    edited December 2018
    > I have an additional question in regards to the AT&T> merger.  I had 42.927 shares of AT& T.  They merged> with SBC, keeping the AT&T name, at an exchange rate> of .779420.  I now have 33.458162 shares.  I have> tried several ways of entering this transaction to no> avail.  Any suggestions as to how to do this would be> appreciated!You may also complete a Corporate Acquisition transaction for the correct exchange ratio, then a ticker change. Allow the prices to copy, it should preserve the historical value and present it more like the actual transaction (an SBC acquisition of T). I am surprised they did not sell your fractional shares.--JRMore details and specifics are always helpful to eliminate the need for assumptions in the response.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    edited July 2016
    I did what you suggested but am not sure what happened.  Can you help me out here?  It seems like all the SBC transactions were copied into the AT&T account.  However, my SBC account still remained intact.  Should it have?
    edited July 2016
    One more question, since all the shares are trading under AT&T and all the trasactions should be under the new AT&T account, how can I combine the two accounts?
    edited December 2018
    > One more question, since all the shares are trading> under AT&T and all the trasactions should be under> the new AT&T account, how can I combine the two> accounts?I need more information to answer this now that I read your response.Did you have a position both in T and SBC? State both of the existing positions so I can match the proper transaction with the scenario.--JRMore details and specifics are always helpful to eliminate the need for assumptions in the response.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    edited July 2016
    > > One more question, since all the shares are> trading> > under AT&T and all the trasactions should be under> > the new AT&T account, how can I combine the two> > accounts?> > I need more information to answer this now that I> read your response.> > Did you have a position both in T and SBC? State both> of the existing positions so I can match the proper> transaction with the scenario.> --> JR> More details and specifics are always helpful to> eliminate the need for assumptions in the response.I had 42.927 shares of AT& T and 181.279 shares of SBC.  I completed the corporate merger as was suggested.
    edited December 2018
    > I had 42.927 shares of AT& T and 181.279 shares of> SBC.  I completed the corporate merger as was> suggested.The corporate acquisition transaction part of the component is fine.SBC acquired T at the .77942 ratio. The Q transaction should have converted the T shares to SBC shares and adjust the cost basis of SBC. The ticker symbol change from SBC to T needs to occur from the closing forward only.What do you mean by AT&T account and SBC account? Do you mean security? The transactions of the old T would be converted into SBC transactions. The security would remain in Q.The key is, does the new T position match your statement?--JRMore details and specifics are always helpful to eliminate the need for assumptions in the response.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    edited July 2016
    No they do not.  I started out with 2 Quicken investment accounts_ one for AT&T and the other for SBC.  I did what you told me and the SBC transactions seemed to have been copied into the AT&T Quicken account.  However, when I go to view my Portfolio in the Investing Center, it shows 2 subentries under the newly combined AT&T Quicken account_ 1 for AT&T and the other for SBC.  There are no shares under the AT&T subentry and the 33+ shares that were originally AT&T shares have been moved to the SBC subentry under the AT&T Quicken account.  However, my 183+ SBC shares still show under the original Quicken SBC account.  I would have thought that the total from both accounts (33+183) would have been combined under the newly combined AT&T Quicken account.  Am I thinking incorrectly?  I hope this all makes sense!  It is all very confusing.  Paper and pencil seems like an easier option today!
    edited December 2018
    > No they do not.The transaction completed was wrong. Delete them until you are left with the original position of 42.927 T shares in Account 1, and 181.279 shares in Account 2.> I started out with 2 Quicken> investment accounts_ one for AT&T and the other for> SBC.  I did what you told me and the SBC transactions> seemed to have been copied into the AT&T Quicken> account.  Here is the transaction step by step:To preserve the old T quotes, you are going to have to use a pseudo-ticker to preserve them. Execute a ticker change on T to something like OLDATNT. It will give you the option to copy them to the new symbol.You will need to change the corporate name to AT&T Old Shares.1. Corporate acquistion of OLDATNT by SBC turning 42.927 shares with a ratio of 0.77942 to 33.458 shares of SBC. These should all be still located in Account 1.2. Account 2 will have the 181.279 shares of SBC.Now, a portfolio view by security should show the total 214.737 shares, but a view by account should show them separately.Execute the name and ticker symbol change to AT&T and T. This should keep historical pricing and positions intact.> I hope this all makes sense!  It is all very> confusing.  Paper and pencil seems like an easier> option today!Paper and pencil is only useful in planning your transaction. Try manually calculating ROI.Let me know how this goes.--JRMore details and specifics are always helpful to eliminate the need for assumptions in the response.
    Quicken user since 1994.