Money Market fund is updating to ridiculous amount of $50+

Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in
I have a money market fund with Waterhouse and its symbol is CMFPZ. I have Quicken do an update on my entire portfolio several times a week.  Recently I noticed that last year's reports of my portfolio value were millions of dollars higher than the accurate value.  Upon inspecting various dates for portfolio value I noticed that the subject money market account (which should always be $1 per share) was showing figures of $52 or $53, thus reporting my values at 52 or 53 times the correct values.  I am suspicious that Quicken is reading the symbol as standing for some other security.  I need someone to tell me how I can make an entry or entries that will restore my correct history to show this fund at a consistent $1 per share value.

Comments

• jepollardjepollard Member
    edited August 2016
    > I have a money market fund with Waterhouse and its> symbol is CMFPZ. Are you sure of this symbol_ normally symbols for money market funds end in "XX".> I have Quicken do an update on my> entire portfolio several times a week.  Recently I> noticed that last year's reports of my portfolio> value were millions of dollars higher than the> accurate value.  Upon inspecting various dates for> portfolio value I noticed that the subject money> market account (which should always be $1 per share)> was showing figures of $52 or $53, thus reporting my> values at 52 or 53 times the correct values.  > I am suspicious that Quicken is reading the symbol > as standing for some other security.  Quicken doesn't download prices for money market funds, so if Quicken were downloading prices for CMFPZ, Quicken would need to think it was not a money market fund.But neither Quicken, nor Yahoo, recognize the symbol CMFPZ at all.> I need someone to> tell me how I can make an entry or entries that will> restore my correct history to show this fund at a> consistent $1 per share value.Investing > Security Detail Viewselect the security, thenUpdate > Edit Price History.Modify or delete any erroneous prices.Also note: when you enter an investment transaction for a security that involves a price/share and Quicken has no price for that security for that date, the price in the investment transaction will be entered in your price history.  And if you later modify the price in that transaction, or delete the transaction, the price in your price history will *not* change.  In other words, if you enter an investment transaction with an incorrect price/share, you will have to either: download a correct price or manually modify your price history to fix it.--John PollardPlease post questions in the forums, not via email.
  • Community UserCommunity User Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    > > I have a money market fund with Waterhouse and its> > symbol is CMFPZ. > > Are you sure of this symbol_ normally symbols for> money market funds end in "XX".> > > I have Quicken do an update on my> > entire portfolio several times a week.  Recently I> > noticed that last year's reports of my portfolio> > value were millions of dollars higher than the> > accurate value.  Upon inspecting various dates for> > portfolio value I noticed that the subject money> > market account (which should always be $1 per> share)> > was showing figures of $52 or $53, thus reporting> my> > values at 52 or 53 times the correct values.  > > > I am suspicious that Quicken is reading the symbol> > > as standing for some other security.  > > Quicken doesn't download prices for money market> funds, so if Quicken were downloading prices for> CMFPZ, Quicken would need to think it was not a money> market fund.> > But neither Quicken, nor Yahoo, recognize the symbol> CMFPZ at all.> > > I need someone to> > tell me how I can make an entry or entries that> will> > restore my correct history to show this fund at a> > consistent $1 per share value.> > Investing > Security Detail View> > select the security, then> > Update > Edit Price History.> > Modify or delete any erroneous prices.> > Also note: when you enter an investment transaction> for a security that involves a price/share and> Quicken has no price for that security for that date,> the price in the investment transaction will be> entered in your price history.  And if you later> modify the price in that transaction, or delete the> transaction, the price in your price history will> *not* change.  In other words, if you enter an> investment transaction with an incorrect price/share,> you will have to either: download a correct price or> manually modify your price history to fix it.> --> John Pollard> Please post questions in the forums, not via email.I checked my Waterhouse statement and the symbol for the Municipal Money Market fund is indeed CMFPZ.  I have been using it in my security list for about five years and never had the problem before.  I followed your suggestions and went to the security detail view and it is very strange, but in the Transaction History window all of the hundreds of entries show that the number of shares are equal to the $ amount shown_ i.e. the $1 value per share is correct.  However, in the window showing the Price History of the fund the values gyrate wildly between $1 and $54.  Luckily I had done a backup at the end of January '06 and had it on my laptop.  I checked the Security Detail View on the laptop with two week old data and there was no problem.  The value was a straight line at $1 in the Price History window.  Therefore, something happened in Quicken in the past two weeks to muck up my data.  What could it be and am I at risk for the same thing happening after I restore the backup from my laptop to my desktop computer? I am awaiting your advice before I restore my data from my backup copy.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sounds like you're getting glitches in data downloaded from Waterhouse. CMFPZ, not being recognized anywhere I can see, must be an internal Waterhouse symbol. The price history you're getting is coming from Waterhouse.I don't use Waterhouse, but I have the same phenomenon with Smith Barney. Some of my holdings have no "outside world" ticker symbol, and SB uses internal symbols to denote them. When I update holdings from SB, prices are updated despite the fact that Quicken has no idea what these symbols mean.If I were you, I'd just delete the erroneous entries in the price history. If this happens again, contact Waterhouse and tell them about it.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Also, I would delete the money market fund from updating prices when you download.  Since the price per share of your money market is ALWAYS $1 per share, why download this price anyways?From One Step Update>Select Quicken.com data to update>Quotes tab>deselect your money market fund.
    edited October 2018
    > Also, I would delete the money market fund from> updating prices when you download.  Since the price> per share of your money market is ALWAYS $1 per> share, why download this price anyways?> > From One Step Update>Select Quicken.com data to> update>Quotes tab>deselect your money market fund.gmalis1, what I'm saying is that the OP's price history is not coming through Q's quotes. It's coming from his FI. Given that his ticker symbol doesn't exist, there's no way he's getting updates through Quicken's quotes.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
    edited July 2016
    > Sounds like you're getting glitches in data> downloaded from Waterhouse. CMFPZ, not being> recognized anywhere I can see, must be an internal> Waterhouse symbol. The price history you're getting> is coming from Waterhouse.> > I don't use Waterhouse, but I have the same> phenomenon with Smith Barney. Some of my holdings> have no "outside world" ticker symbol, and SB uses> internal symbols to denote them. When I update> holdings from SB, prices are updated despite the fact> that Quicken has no idea what these symbols mean.> > If I were you, I'd just delete the erroneous entries> in the price history. If this happens again, contact> Waterhouse and tell them about it.I am not downloading anything directly from Waterhouse.  The only downloading I do is an Update directly in Quicken.
    edited August 2016
    > I am not downloading anything directly from> Waterhouse.  The only downloading I do is an Update> directly in Quicken.Can you be more specific about what you are doing: the exact steps you take?If you do not download anything from Waterhouse (or any other fi who might send erroneous investment price data)_ and you did not, inadvertantly, enter incorrect prices - either directly, or indirectly - then it sounds to me like your price history file is corrupted.In any event, no one can guarantee you that you will never experience any such problems again.I did not understand your earlier post about wanting to restore from a backup_ unless I have missed something, that should not be necessary.  Just modify - or delete - the incorrect prices in your price history.--John PollardPlease post questions in the forums, not via email.
    edited July 2016
    I really appreciate the attention and help you are giving me with my stated problem.  The Thread is getting complicated with so many repeats so I am re-sending a short message to you from an earlier message, to which I have not had a response.  Can you tackle this: <b></b>I followed your suggestions and went to the security detail view and it is very strange, but in the Transaction History window all of the hundreds of entries show that the number of shares are equal to the $ amount shown_ i.e. the $1 value per share is correct. However, in the window showing the Price History of the fund the values gyrate wildly between $1 and $54.Luckily I had done a backup at the end of January '06 and had it on my laptop. I checked the Security Detail View on the laptop with two week old data and there was no problem. The value was a straight line at $1 in the Price History window. Therefore, something happened in Quicken in the past two weeks to muck up my data. What could it be and am I at risk for the same thing happening after I restore the backup from my laptop to my desktop computer? I am awaiting your advice before I restore my data from my backup copy.</b>
    edited August 2016
    > I really appreciate the attention and help you are> giving me with my stated problem.  The Thread is> getting complicated with so many repeats so I am> re-sending a short message to you from an earlier> message, to which I have not had a response.  Can you> tackle this:> I followed your suggestions and went to the>  security detail view and it is very strange, but in> the Transaction History window all of the hundreds of> entries show that the number of shares are equal to> the $ amount shown_ i.e. the $1 value per share is> correct. However, in the window showing the Price> History of the fund the values gyrate wildly between> $1 and $54.I did read this but I don't think you read my original post correctly (or your description above is incorrect).You do not say that you ever looked at the "Update" "Edit Price History" dialog in the Security Detail View.  That dialog will allow you to edit or delete the price for a security for any date.  The simplest action would probably be to just delete the bad prices.> Luckily I had done a backup at the end of January '06> and had it on my laptop. I checked the Security> Detail View on the laptop with two week old data and> there was no problem. The value was a straight line> at $1 in the Price History window. Therefore,> something happened in Quicken in the past two weeks> to muck up my data. > What could it be and am I at risk> for the same thing happening after I restore the> backup from my laptop to my desktop computer? I am> awaiting your advice before I restore my data from my> backup copy.And I answered this as best I could at the end of my previous post.  I insinuated some possible ways incorrect prices could get in your file.Fix the prices in your current file and see if things don't get better.--John PollardPlease post questions in the forums, not via email.Message was edited by         jepollard     at {1}Message was edited by         jepollard     at {1}
    edited October 2018
    > I am not downloading anything directly from> Waterhouse.  The only downloading I do is an Update> directly in Quicken.Where do you think the data is coming from when you update? It's coming from Waterhouse, in the form of your transactions, balances, and holdings.You can verify this by exploring the Online Center in Quicken_ there you can see what your financial institutions send during updates. Holdings include number of shares and share prices. If you are getting weird prices, that's where they're coming from. Go to Edit Price History for your fund and delete the incorrect prices (i.e., any that aren't $1.00).