Update #16 from Quicken Marcus

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭

Today we launched Quicken 2015 for Mac. It has a new user experience designed to look at home in Apple's new operating system Yosemite, richer investment capabilities and the ability to sync cash and credit accounts with the Quicken Mobile products. Check out our new website at: http://www.quicken.com/mac. In my opinion, it's a really great upgrade for Quicken Essentials users but may still not include the feature set that Quicken 2007 and/or Quicken Windows users need. Check out our comparison chart at the new Quicken.com/mac site http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare and vote for the features you need. Additional product features and capabilities are expected to be released throughout the year to continuously improve the feature set. All of these new features will be free to Quicken 2015 customers for the first year. These additional features and capabilities would be offered only when and if made available by Intuit.

I've said this in previous forums but it never hurts to continue to highlight our plan going forward.

1) Quicken 2007 is based on an old code base and will not be updated any more.

2) We rewrote Quicken Mac from scratch built on top the latest Mac technologies and the first version of this was Quicken Essentials. It takes time to add back all of the features that it took 25+ years to build.

3) Quicken Mac 2015 is built on top of the great Quicken Essentials software foundation. This is the code base we'll continue to work on. Adding Investments and mobile sync were the hardest features to add so I'm hoping we can accelerate the addition of other new features.

4) The plan is to continue to update the product through out the year providing free updates to Quicken 2015 customers for the first year with more and more features that Quicken 2007 and Windows users request based on what our beta community asked for but also how people vote on the new Quicken.com/mac website. We cannot provide a list of specific features or a time frame for when these enhancements will be added.

5) Our hope is that Quicken 2007 users and Mac users who are currently using Quicken Windows will check back periodically to see what features we have added and then consider whether Quicken 2015 is the right product for them or not.

6) Long term it is our goal to provide a Quicken Mac product that a large majority of Quicken 2007 users will be excited to switch too. Until that time, Quicken 2007 for Lion will continue to be available to customers.

I want to thank the thousands of beta testers that worked with us to get the Quicken Mac product to this stage. They are an awesome group of people and played a very important role in helping us find bugs, refine the product and to provide a voice for the Quicken Mac community by suggesting future features we should work on.

This is only the first step in our journey of rebuilding Quicken Mac.

Thanks, Marcus

Please follow me on twitter @softwaremarcus.

Comments

• wmfitzgibbon
    wmfitzgibbon Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    No bill pay support from within the program? That's a non-starter.
  • Paul Schwartz
    Paul Schwartz Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I was looking forward to this upgrade for over a year  . . . but now it just seems like you all just put some lipstick on the pig called Quicken Essentials . . . . .  it seems like there will be critical features not supported (e.g., loan amortization) . . . and there is lack of a discounted upgrade path; $75 is a bit stiff.   Please tell me that the latest rev of Quicken 2007 for Lion will continue to work on Yosemite.
  • Michael Hughes
    Michael Hughes Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Marcus,

I am very easy going about this. If you guys would add one or two big features a year, I would be quite pacified. However, Essentials (now called Quicken Mac 2015) is still just very basic, though I do appreciate the mobile synching. 2007 to 2015 (sounds like 8 years to me). Please start supporting the Mac community again. Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

Marcus,

I just converted from Quicken 2007 on the Mac. The Budgeting on Quicken 2015 is unusable. It does not transfer from 2007 and there does not appear to be any way to enter a yearly budget, just goals for the current or past month. How do you enter a yearly budget. Many items only happen once a year. The budget function needs to be much more like in Quicken 2007 to be usable.

Allan
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

Hi Marcus,

I recently upgraded to the new Quicken 2015 (2.0) product. I am confused regarding the instructions I received for conversion from Quicken Windows. In the instructions, it is stated that individual investment transactions are not converted when converting from Quicken Windows. I thought that was the whole purpose of Quicken 2015; to have robust investment accounts, including individual transactions. I am particularly confused because, as a beta participant, whenever I downloaded transactions to investment accounts, the individual transactions always appeared in my account. Why then, would not individual investment transactions come through in a conversion from Windows? I would appreciate an answer to my concerns. Thanks.

Michaelxjw
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Hi Marcus,

I recently upgraded to the new Quicken 2015 (2.0) product. I am confused regarding the instructions I received for conversion from Quicken Windows. In the instructions, it is stated that individual investment transactions are not converted when converting from Quicken Windows. I thought that was the whole purpose of Quicken 2015; to have robust investment accounts, including individual transactions. I am particularly confused because, as a beta participant, whenever I downloaded transactions to investment accounts, the individual transactions always appeared in my account. Why then, would not individual investment transactions come through in a conversion from Windows? I would appreciate an answer to my concerns. Thanks.

Michaelxjw

Quicken Mac 2015 does support individual investment transactions.  I have 5 brokerage accounts and  all of the individual transactions are there.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Marcus,

I am very easy going about this. If you guys would add one or two big features a year, I would be quite pacified. However, Essentials (now called Quicken Mac 2015) is still just very basic, though I do appreciate the mobile synching. 2007 to 2015 (sounds like 8 years to me). Please start supporting the Mac community again. Thanks.

If you read the post from Marcus above, how can you conclude your post by saying "Please start supporting the Mac community again." His entire post is about how they are re-committed to the Mac community, how Quicken 2015 for Mac represents a major step forward -- albeit only the first of many steps forward -- in the "journey of rebuilding Quicken Mac". Isn't that exactly what we Quicken Mac users want to hear?? And his post explains that 25 years of development that culminated in Quicken 2007 can't be rebuilt from scratch in a year or two. So for some of us, Quicken 2007 remains a more robust choice at the moment, and he acknowledges that. But there's clearly a plan to narrow the feature gap and make Quicken 2015 a worthy successor to Quicken 2007.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016

Marcus,

I just converted from Quicken 2007 on the Mac. The Budgeting on Quicken 2015 is unusable. It does not transfer from 2007 and there does not appear to be any way to enter a yearly budget, just goals for the current or past month. How do you enter a yearly budget. Many items only happen once a year. The budget function needs to be much more like in Quicken 2007 to be usable.

Allan

I think most people who have used the budget section of Quicken 2007 will agree with you. This is one of the areas of Quicken 2015 which unfortunately haven't yet been upgraded since Quicken Essentials was originally built as a stop-gap building-block four years ago. Hopefully, it will be an area the developers will focus on in the months ahead. If you haven't already, you take 30 seconds to vote in the poll about missing features most important to you: http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare
  • jacobs
    edited March 2017
    As the post above indicates, they are rebuilding Quicken for Mac, but can't get there in one shot. Now the architecture is set and modern plumbing has been installed, and they're building up and out from this foundation. If you haven't already, you should take 30 seconds to vote in the poll about missing features most important to you: http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

Meanwhile, several people have said that Quicken 2007 for Lion appears to work perfectly well under Yosemite. Intuit won't guarantee it, and they won't patch it if Apple makes some change that breaks it, but it looks like Quicken 2007 may have another year to live for those who want features not yet built into Quicken 2015.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

I would like to know (without having to buy Q2015 to find out) what kinds of data will not import from a Q2007 file (with 20 years of history in it). Will all transactions import correctly and we'll just be missing certain reporting and other features? Or will the import lose data -- and if so will it warn us during the import process?

It sounds like you're on the right path, as some of the mobile sync features may be compelling enough to inspire people to upgrade, but we need to know what data may be lost in the import process. Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    lemketron said:

I would like to know (without having to buy Q2015 to find out) what kinds of data will not import from a Q2007 file (with 20 years of history in it). Will all transactions import correctly and we'll just be missing certain reporting and other features? Or will the import lose data -- and if so will it warn us during the import process?

It sounds like you're on the right path, as some of the mobile sync features may be compelling enough to inspire people to upgrade, but we need to know what data may be lost in the import process. Thanks!

I have brokerage transactions that go back to 2001 and Banking back to 1989. From what I can tell, all the transactions imported ok from Quicken 2007 for Mac. My biggest beef is that you can only do a budget for the current and previous month. There is no 12 Month budgeting like in Quicken 2007. I have only played with it since yesterday though.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    lemketron said:

One thing to be aware of with a significant investment history to import is that in this first release of Quicken 2015, you cannot manually edit the price history of individual securities, as you can in Quicken 2007 and older, and you cannot track the purchase and sale of individual lots of securities. (It supports FIFO or LIFO, not individual lots.) The development team is working on adding functionality for the former, and I'd expect to see that as one of the free feature updates in the near future. I'm not as sure about tracking lots, but I'd guess that will follow, too. Depending how much these issues might impact your import of Q07 data, you might want to wait until those capabilities are built into Quicken 2015.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

It's important to note that if you download from your brokerage firm you probably will be happy but if you manually input your information from a statement and try to make it balance you won't be able to at the moment. It is on the burner for a priority 1 update and so be available for possibly the next couple of updates.
  • Michael Hughes
    Michael Hughes Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Marcus,

Like I said in my post. I am easy going about this. Just give us at least one or two new significant features a year for a few years and I will be quite satisfied. I am a VERY LONG-TIME user of Quicken/Quickbooks. And I have been using Essentials since its intro. But after several years, even this "new" version of Essentials (that is, Quicken 2015) is essentially (pun intended) the same version, albeit with mobile syncing added. That single thing is a short list of upgraded features spanning a period of several years. My original post was, in context, upbeat and positive. I applaud this statement of recommitment to the Mac community. But that is what was said when Essentials was first introduced several years ago, followed then by abandonment pretty much. So, I am just hoping they mean it this time.
  • CyborgOne
    CyborgOne Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

First off: Congratulations on shipping this new version! I've been following these "Quicken Marcus" updates for 2 years now, and have remained hopeful that the end product would live up to our expectations. Many of us recognize just what a huge undertaking this has been, and greatly appreciate the time, effort, and attention to detail which Marcus and team have brought to the table. Kudos, all - thank you for the work!

Of course, there are obviously a few (?) concerns to be raised:
    1. The $75 purchase price (with no upgrade pricing) is obviously a bit steep for many. Understandable, but it would still be nice to recognize those who may have purchased Quicken Essentials, and offer them even a token rebate on the purchase of this (distinct, but still related) app.
    2. There is no indication within the current Quicken 2007 version(s) that this new product exists. "Check for Updates" merely reports "Quicken 2007 16.1.4 is currently the newest version available." This is arguably "correct", but quite misleading. Strong suggestion to enhance that version checking in the older app to notify users of Quicken 2015 for Mac availability (clearly indicating it is a separate, paid upgrade) - ideally, with a link to the product page, to obtain more information.
    3. Many of the reviews I've read so far are positively slamming the product - most certainly without any direct experience with it. This is somewhat understandable ("Intuit abandons us for 8 years, and then gives us only another limited-feature version??!!"), but I hope the development team recognizes the frustration on the part of these users, and will clearly indicate when features have been re-added, to make this a full-featured product once again.
    4. Related: Allowing (potential?) users to vote on our "favorite new feature" is nice - but it should be clarified that ALL these features are already-planned additions to ensure the product is as full-featured as possible, and that voting merely helps to prioritize their order of implementation. (Uh, correct?)
    5. That being said, many of the positive reviews (in the "What people are saying" section of the product page) really seem to reek of astroturfing: The use of the full product name in each case, the awkward (but very marketing-speak-ish) phrasing of the praise, etc. Plus, how is so much input available immediately after the product launch - even prior to it showing up for sale on the App Store? I'm hoping these glowing endorsements are from members of the (external) beta test team ... but this assumption seems questionable. I'd strongly caution the marketing team to ensure that all such featured testimonials are genuine, to avoid any risk of an inevitable (and possibly incredibly damning) backlash.
    6. Even after reading all the product information, I'm still unclear on the syncing features (one of the most-critical features for this product): Will I be able to enter transactions on both my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, and my iPad - and have them all integrated into the "main" registers in my account file? How is this syncing performed: Is it via a separate sync server (convenient and always available, but a potential security risk), or only peer-to-peer when on the same network sub-net (secure, but MUCH less convenient)?
    All that being said (whew!): I will be purchasing this new version as soon as possible, and taking it for a spin - hoping that I do NOT need to take advantage of the 60-day money-back guarantee. I'm thrilled that our interest in the product seems to have been genuinely considered, and has helped shape the form of the final result. I am hopeful we will soon see complete feature parity with the Windows version - perhaps even some Mac-only enhancements, to take advantage of OS X Yosemite?

Once again: A huge THANK YOU to Quicken Marcus & team, for this effort. Please ignore the overly-vitriolic responses from the community at large, and recognize that there is a large base of current and potential users, who greatly appreciate the work being done. Please continue to support and enhance this product on our platform of choice.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Hi Marcus,

Michaelxjw

I believe you may have misunderstood the meaning of my posting. I am referring to the help file instructions that come with the final (released) product; Quicken 2015 for Mac version 2.0. In the conversion section of those instructions it clearly states that the import of individual investment transactions are not supported. I am hoping that is not the case and I agree with you that this does not agree with the experience we had as beta testers in downloading and syncing individual investment transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017

Marcus,

I have recently upgraded from Essentials to Quicken for Mac 2015. Where do we channel information on problems that we find with the application.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I bought the 2015 Mac product today and found that transactions that were transfers in 2013 for Windows dont come across properly so two accounts don't have the right balances. Runs kind of slowly too, and auto updateing of prices can't be stopped.  When is the first update of the program planned.  For now I'm going to keep using 2013 for Windows in a VM on my Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

Honestly, Quicken and Quickbooks have been around a long time for both Mac & Windows... But the fact that it has taken this long to even make a baby step is b.s! Most major software companies whom make solutions for the Mac & Windows platforms are generally equal in features. What is your excuse for making mac products so lackluster compared to the windows side. You should have been updating them both equally at the same time... If Mac was soo hard to write for then, maybe you should have just dropped the idea, why bother to string folks along waiting every year for a possibility of a new version. Other companies seem to have figured this out... I am very disappointed in your non caring of the Apple/Mac Marketplace. You should realize by now that Apple is no longer just a niche company... They are a global entity and I would put every staff member on that Quicken/Quickbooks for Mac projects to address this need. Adobe gets it, Microsoft gets it, why cant you? If going to tell me boo hoo its 20 years of quicken tech features that would have to be added back(?)... I say hire some new coders/programmers that know what they are doing not the current groundhog day one whom never advanced past 2007.... Prove me wrong make a equal to windows in features and performance products for the mac... Steve Jobs did not stand for excuses, Now look at Apple!....
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    digimo said:

Honestly, Quicken and Quickbooks have been around a long time for both Mac & Windows... But the fact that it has taken this long to even make a baby step is b.s! Most major software companies whom make solutions for the Mac & Windows platforms are generally equal in features. What is your excuse for making mac products so lackluster compared to the windows side. You should have been updating them both equally at the same time... If Mac was soo hard to write for then, maybe you should have just dropped the idea, why bother to string folks along waiting every year for a possibility of a new version. Other companies seem to have figured this out... I am very disappointed in your non caring of the Apple/Mac Marketplace. You should realize by now that Apple is no longer just a niche company... They are a global entity and I would put every staff member on that Quicken/Quickbooks for Mac projects to address this need. Adobe gets it, Microsoft gets it, why cant you? If going to tell me boo hoo its 20 years of quicken tech features that would have to be added back(?)... I say hire some new coders/programmers that know what they are doing not the current groundhog day one whom never advanced past 2007.... Prove me wrong make a equal to windows in features and performance products for the mac... Steve Jobs did not stand for excuses, Now look at Apple!....

Anyone who has been a longtime Quicken for Mac user knows Intuit bungled it years ago. You can continue to complain about the company's mistakes of 6 or 8 years ago -- some of which we know about and some of which only Intuit insiders can probably explain -- or try to see objectively where things are today. The Quicken 2015 product which was released this week was created by a completely new Mac development team which was hired over the past two years to bring back Quicken for Mac. They picked up the code of Quicken Essentials and re-wrote parts of it to be compatible with Mac OS technology which had changed since it was developed 5 years ago. They tackled the two biggest missing pieces in Essentials: handling investments and syncing with a mobile app. This week, they released Quicken 2015 2.0, which is something of a hybrid between Essentials and the full Quicken features of Quicken 2007 or Quicken Windows. Intuit management has take the unusual (unprecedented?) step of allowing the Mac development team to continue working on new features and releasing them as free updates for an entire year. If they are successful, Quicken 2015 for Mac will continue to evolve into the full-featured Quicken we all want it to be.

Again, you can complain about what they didn't do from 2006 through 2012 forever, but it won't change the past. I'm not trying to make any excuses for Intuit; they screwed this up years ago. I just don't feel it accomplishes anything to keep pointing back to what they could have or should have done multiple management teams ago. The facts are (1) development of a new Quicken for Mac started two years ago, (2) there is 20 years of programming work in Quicken 2007, which could not be re-created in just two years, and (3) the potential revenue from Quicken for Mac doesn't justify throwing hundreds of programmers at the problem. (Intuit is a big company, but the development team for Quicken for Mac is apparently quite small.)  One can legitimately argue whether it was better to release Quicken 2015 in its current form and allow us to see it grow step-by-step, versus not releasing a new Mac product until 2016 or 2017 when it achieved feature parity with Quicken for Windows and venerable Quicken 2007 for Mac -- Intuit management decided it was better to do the former, because Quicken 2015 today is an improvement for Essentials users and is suitable for some users without advanced investing needs.

For me, Quicken 2015 doesn't yet do everything I want and need, and it isn't as robust and nimble as Quicken 2007. I'm still using my Quicken 2007 for that reason. But I'm thrilled that Intuit is investing in building a modern generation of Quicken for Mac which will, hopefully, serve my financial management needs for the next decade and beyond. I could choose to say I don't trust they'll carry through because of Intuit's missteps in the past; I've chosen to say I'm giving this new team a chance to continue their work building the Quicken for Mac product most of us longtime Quicken users want and need for the future.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

Marcus - I posted this under a different topic, but hope you will read it here and respond. I installed Mac 2015 a couple of days ago and converted my QE file. I am having trouble with the mobile sync. I turned it on and every time I do a sync, it tries to upload ALL my transactions (several thousand) over and over. This causes my syncs to be very slow. If I turn mobile sync off, everything works fine but just as soon as I turn it on the slow syncs reappear. It is like it starts all over. For the time being I am just not doing mobile syncs or using the mobile app. But the problem is that is the main reason I moved from QE to Mac 2015 and spent the $75. Can someone look at this problem?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    digimo said:

Thanks for putting the situation into perspective. I started off with Mac 2007 but then converted to QE when it was first released. My needs are very basic and I have been a happy user since then and the only real thing missing was a mobile app. That is why I have purchased Mac 2015. Unfortunately the mobile syncing is having problems for me, but hopefully they will get it fixed in an update. In the meantime I am no worse off (other than being $75 poorer), since Mac 2105 is basically QE with the mobile app. We will just have to see what happens.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016

Hi Marcus,

Michaelxjw

I just hunted down the page you're referring to in the Help file. The good news is that you're right. The better news: the Help page is wrong! Completely wrong. The Help file is a carry-over from Quicken Essentials, and there are multiple instances where language from Essentials was not updated for Quicken 2015. I believe this is one of them. Someone did a search-and-replace to change every instance of "Quicken Essentials" to "Quicken 2015". That text about not tracking individual transactions is exactly the reason I never switched from Quicken 2007 to Essentials! And it is definitely not true of Quicken 2015.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    JohnDavis said:

Marcus - I posted this under a different topic, but hope you will read it here and respond. I installed Mac 2015 a couple of days ago and converted my QE file. I am having trouble with the mobile sync. I turned it on and every time I do a sync, it tries to upload ALL my transactions (several thousand) over and over. This causes my syncs to be very slow. If I turn mobile sync off, everything works fine but just as soon as I turn it on the slow syncs reappear. It is like it starts all over. For the time being I am just not doing mobile syncs or using the mobile app. But the problem is that is the main reason I moved from QE to Mac 2015 and spent the $75. Can someone look at this problem?

The first time I turned on Mobile Sync in Preferences, it took a great deal of time uploading 27,000+ transactions, I just let it go and walked away for a while. I had to "Reset Cloud Data" a couple of times for different reasons and sync again (under Preferences>Mobile>Advanced). It does take some time but was well worth it.
  • madashell
    madashell Member
    edited July 2016

Marcus,

Allan

This is the single most important function for me. I am still using a very old mac laptop to do my monthly budgeting. I was upset when Intuit dropped the bill pay function with Quicken Essentials, but have learned to live with that change ,and the Additional Cost to use Quicken Bill Pay!!  The annual budget function needs to be added before I buy the new product.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Hi Marcus,

Michaelxjw

Hi Jacobs.

I certainly hope you are correct. I will soon see if you are correct as I plan to convert my latest file from Quicken Windows tomorrow evening. Thanks for the advice.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    digimo said:

Great post, jacobs! Wish everyone could read this!!!
  • gregneg
    gregneg Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2016
    JohnDavis said:

Any time you "reset" or "flip the switch", sync does its never-been-done-before routine (including sending you that "welcome" email)
    . Yes that does take a bit of time for a large historical record.  Consider just letting it go -- it will *update* following a Financial Institution update -- and/or you manually sync with the "Sync Now" button in preferences.

27" iMac 5K OS Ventura Quicken user since it was just a check register.

• gregneg
    gregneg Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2016
    lemketron said:

Frankly, the import does not handle the money side of investments well. You will probably have a WTH cash balance because, for instance, you bought stocks without sourcing the $ from somewhere. If you have a MM/ cash account associated with your brokerage, Q15 really get confused about how to handle a "bank" account in "Investments". Got options? Transfer to another broker? Same stock held by more than one broker? Lot based transactions (See jacobs on that).  Weird splits/ spin-offs/ return on capital payments/ some reinvestments (why only some) may get lost on the import.
      If your investment record needs are simple, and you can live with making  phony adjustment entries to get the balances close -- then the import is OK. A person who has a 401K or an IRA who just cares about overall growth -- because at this point the IRS doesn't care about losses and gains for each transaction/ event -- would be one such satisfied user.

A detailed transaction audit is something I would recommend -- using their logs (Help>>Show Logs In Finder) as a starting point.
      I personally will ride out V2.0.1 to see what the next revision brings ---

27" iMac 5K OS Ventura Quicken user since it was just a check register.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    First, a big thank you to Quicken Marcus and his beta team - despite the naysayers, QM2015 is a huge step forward from QEM, and, most importantly, it shows that Intuit has decided to put forth a huge effort to placate us hitherto abandoned Mac users - mea culpas accepted.  I would be remiss herein if I didn't take this opportunity to push for an early resolution of the manually entered securities issue (I know it's high on their list - it's at the top of mine).  Quicken Marcus has done an extraordinary job of listening to us Betans, and I can only hope that he continues to define, refine and improve this product.s
This discussion has been closed.