vanguard data corrupted again?

Mark ShaftonMark Shafton Member ✭✭
edited March 2018 in

Had the same problems as everyone else when vanguard converted. Late last week it appeared to be corrected. As of Saturdays download, and again today, the data is not correct and appears to be back to the same bad data as it was immediately after the vanguard "upgrade". Is this just mine or everyones and how do I get it fixed? Thanks

Comments

• rudyg928rudyg928 Member
    edited August 2016

I'm having the same issues and Quicken Support doesn't seem to have an answer. From what I can tell, the download coming in from Vanguard and what is in my system is different due to the CASH SOURCE. I have no idea how to fix this since reporting doesn't allow you to see this and I have 1000's of transactions to reconcile....add to this that the placeholder doesn't appear to be editable in any way. If anyone has an answer on how best to fix this....I'm all ears. All I know is my information was correct in my system until this download occurred and Quicken added the cash source field.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

RE: Cash Source.

"Quicken" did not "add" the Cash Source: it was downloaded by Vanguard.

The Cash Source has always been available for 401k accounts; it you did not see it before, it's because the financial institution did not supply it in the download before.

Quicken is acting as it should.

If the placeholder appeared in the first download to the account without asking you to approve it, you can delete it using the Banking Transaction report.

You can "modify" placeholders that do not appear to be editable, by initiating a new "Adjust Share Balance" transaction for the same date and same security. When Quicken asks if you want to replace the existing transaction, say yes. Once you replace the downloaded placeholder with one you create, the one you create can be edited.

After the first download, you can avoid placeholders by refusing Quicken's offer to "Adjust" your share balances at the conclusion of processing a download. And you can probably avoid even being asked by Quicken to "Adjust" the share balances by unchecking "Compare account portfolio after download" in the Online Center "Options".

[To see the actual "Cash Source" for a transaction, Edit the transaction and click its "Cash Source" button. Each placeholder will display its Cash Source when you click its "Enter Cost" link.]
  • Mark ShaftonMark Shafton Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

The Cash Source has always been available for 401k accounts; it you did not see it before, it's because the financial institution did not supply it in the download before.

If the placeholder appeared in the first download to the account without asking you to approve it, you can delete it using the Banking Transaction report.

You can "modify" placeholders that do not appear to be editable, by initiating a new "Adjust Share Balance" transaction for the same date and same security. When Quicken asks if you want to replace the existing transaction, say yes. Once you replace the downloaded placeholder with one you create, the one you create can be edited.

After the first download, you can avoid placeholders by refusing Quicken's offer to "Adjust" your share balances at the conclusion of processing a download. And you can probably avoid even being asked by Quicken to "Adjust" the share balances by unchecking "Compare account portfolio after download" in the Online Center "Options".

[To see the actual "Cash Source" for a transaction, Edit the transaction and click its "Cash Source" button. Each placeholder will display its Cash Source when you click its "Enter Cost" link.]

Thanks but none of this is my problem. The data I get from Vanguard download is just not right. I do not have cash source or placeholder issues.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

If you look again, you'll see that I addressed my remarks to the "Cash Source" problem (mentioned by the other poster).
    If your downloaded transactions are not correct, you need to talk to Vanguard.
  • Mark ShaftonMark Shafton Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I finally found this problem. One of the funds was/is downloading a zero price in my portfolio. Not sure why but manually entering the price cleared all this up.  Compare your holding amounts and prices to those on Vanguard.com to spot the error.
  • Dick BoleyDick Boley Member
    edited July 2016
    rudyg928 said:

I'm having the same issues and Quicken Support doesn't seem to have an answer. From what I can tell, the download coming in from Vanguard and what is in my system is different due to the CASH SOURCE. I have no idea how to fix this since reporting doesn't allow you to see this and I have 1000's of transactions to reconcile....add to this that the placeholder doesn't appear to be editable in any way. If anyone has an answer on how best to fix this....I'm all ears. All I know is my information was correct in my system until this download occurred and Quicken added the cash source field.

My Vanguard downloads not working right now. However, I do not have any cash in the Vanguard portfolio. Quicken places a value there when I sell. I simply zero it out. I have no idea if this has any impact on the presentation of data in Quicken since I ignore that and only rely on Vanguard. Quicken is not bug free and it also has either logic quirks or out-right errors thus investment info is best dealt with at the source. Vanguard is again changing for their cost reduction by combining brokerage and mutual fund accounts under only brokerage. If you agree to that in Vanguard it will probably require a new account(s) number in Quicken.
  • tommystoxtommystox Member
    edited November 2016

I experienced the same (thought it was fixed, but then "more problems". I spent until 1:00 am this morning (3 hours) trying to "force" the transactions to "match" the actual trades in my IRA and "Brokerage IRA"... (I have an IRA [mutual funds only] and then a few months ago I added the "Brokerage" capability to that IRA, which uses "Vang Prime MM" as the "sweep" account for brokerage trades... but that portion is a disaster). Briefly, any Brokerage trade is supposed to "sweep" either INTO or OUT-OF that Vang Prime MM, depending upon if it's a SELL or a BUY. That is where the problem exists... Before the recent "upgrade" that Vanguard deployed, I could make my Quicken accounts agree (after the Vang downloads messed up the transaction in the register) with Vang by changing the transaction register as appropriate. But since the "upgrade" that has become impossible for me... When I attempt to correct the trades as needed, Quicken gives me an error which, in effect, states that this cannot be changed on this portion of the trade because the "SOUCE" portion of the trade has to be changed FIRST. So, I followed the Quicken method for almost 3 hours (multiple attempts and possible techniques since I thought I may have failed to properly followed the Quicken instructions, all to no avail, nothing worked!!!). Those "incorrect" downloaded trades are there forever... So, I finally got smart a did what I've been doing for years in sort of the same situations, but not investment transactions. That technique is fairly simple... I create "dummy" transactions to "counter" the effect: EXAMPLE, I've suddenly received a $500 check for winning a small lottery (...yea, right!!!). So I deposit the $500 in my checking, but to record the SOURCE is now a challenge, since it was not from my Employer, not from IRS, not a Dividend, etc. So, years ago I created an Account (the Q type is CASH). It is a "fictitious" account which is EXcluded from virtually all forms/reports, yet is a tool I can use to either add or withdraw funds, reconcile issues, etc. It's handy, totally fictitious, and I call it "Disbursements." So, the $500 now has a source, Disbursements. Also, my Vang transactions that won't go away have been neutralized by that same account. It's not perfect, but I have no choice... IF you have questions, send me an email at [email protected] (...I don't do facebook/twitter).