Can anyone who has switched from 2007 to 2015 help me determine if it is a risk worth taking?

sashaksashak Member

Gun shy trying Quicken for Mac 2015 as had a horrendous experience upgrading to Essentials - kind of like childbirth - remember that it was challenging, but don't remember the specifics so, reviewing the comparison info doesn't tell me if I would have same problems with 2015.

For those who went from 2007 to 2015 (skipping Essentials) what can't you do that you relied on with 2007.

Essentials was good for people without good record keeping skills or accounting knowledge and was no good for people with a financial background. Is that still the case with 2015?

Comments

• RedrivermanRedriverman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    How heavily do you rely on QM07 for investment tracking/evaluation?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Here's the comparison of various QM products.  QM2015 is an improvement from QEM ... but still a considerable step down from QM2007.  http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

That said, it's been reported here that some banks/cards/etc have been dropping support for QM2007, because of it's age and the QM2015 successor.  It's unknown if that trend will spread.  But it's worth taking into account re; your continued use of QM2007.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

[EDIT: The post below is a year old as I write this addendum shortly after the release of Quicken 2016 in November 2015. Most of what I wrote a year ago remains unchanged in Quicken 2016 at this point, although there have been hints from the Quicken team that more features and enhancements will be coming after the dust settles from this upgrade and the recent back-end infrastructure changes. The one significant new feature in Quicken 2016 is online bill payment for customers whose financial institutions support the Direct Connect connection method. For what it's worth, I'm still using Quicken 2007, I'm still experimenting with Quicken 2016, and I'm still optimistic that given more time, this will turn into the replacement program to the old classic Quicken for Mac (and Quicken for Windows) that many of us have been waiting for.][UPDATE: A few other issues have been addressed with updates in 2016, as noted below.]

-----------------------------------

@sashack, I'll give you my opinions, although the "right answer" for one of us could be very different for someone else, based on how we each use Quicken.

I've been using Quicken 2015 since the start of the beta testing program in the spring. I have a copy of the program, and I'm continuing to use it a bit. But I am still using Quicken 2007 for my live, actual record keeping. For me, there are too many features and functionalities missing from Quicken 2007 for me to make the switch to 2015 yet. I think 2015 is a good foundation for a next-generaiton Quicken for Mac product, but based on the way I work with Quicken, it's not far enough along for me to adopt it yet.

Quicken 2015 is much more like Essentials, which you said you tried, than Quicken 2007. It's built on the Essentials code base. The interface has been advanced a bit, but it's fundamentally similar to Essentials. The two big advances over Essentials are that you can now track all your investments, like Quicken 2007, and you can sync parts of your data to the free Quicken mobile app if you like to be able to record transactions as you go or check balances or history. For me, personally, investments was an absolute necessity (and the reason I never even tried Essentials), while the mobile app is of little interest. So I could switch to 2015 and get by, but there are too many areas where I find it either limiting or slower for me to work with than 2007, and since 2007 still works great for me, that's why I'm sticking with 2007 until the development team has more time to add features and improve performance of 2015.

So where does Quicken 2015 fall short for me versus 2007? Here are a few areas (and I emphasize that this is for me, based on how I use Quicken, and likely will not be the same for everyone):

• I enter my transactions manually. For my investments, I can enter them in 2015 with no problem now, but I need to be able to compare my investment portfolio to my brokerage statements as of the month-end or quarter-end. In Quicken 2007, this was easy: Open the Portfolio view (Command-I), set the date to September 30 or whenever, and it would show your holdings as of that date. Quicken 2015 doesn't have that capability yet. And because it automatically downloads prices of securities every day, there's no way for me to go "back in time" to September 30 in order to compare my Quicken portfolio with my statements. (In the latest update released a week ago, there is now a way to turn off downloading of security price information, so I'm thinking about doing that so I can mimic what I did in 2007, but it's not optimal.) The development team has said this ability to view as of a past date will be added in a future update, so I'm waiting for that. [UPDATE: This feature was added with the release of Quicken 2016 version 3.3.1 in May 2016.]

• For entering day-to-day transactions, I've gotten used to the new interface enough that I find it workable -- but it's still not as fast and facile as I find Quicken 2007. For example, in 2007, entering a transaction with a transfer to a different account required one keystroke -- "[" in the category field -- to enter a transfer account; in Quicken 2015, you have to make a separate Transfer column visible, and tab to that column to enter the category. It's not a huge difference, and I can adapt, but I do find the older method faster. At one point early in beta testing, the product manager said they were going to add code to allow entry of a transfer account in the category field, the same as 2007, but that wasn't implemented; I don't know if they decided against it or just haven't gotten to it yet. Splits are another area that are usable in 2015, but I find slightly harder to use than 2007. In 2015, if you edit an existing split transaction line other than the first line, Quicken will try to help you by applying the difference to the first split line, instead of putting the difference on a new split line of its own. I find that Quicken doing it this way accomplishes what I'd want to do about 10% of the time, and requires me to fix it 90% of the time. During the beta testing, many of us asked them to switch back to the old split methodology, but they have chosen not to, at least so far.  I sorely miss the QuickMath feature of Quicken 2007, which allowed us to assign a percentage for sales tax to a key and apply it in an amount field with a click of that key; I use this all the time in doing split transactions, where I need to calculate the sales tax as part of each split line -- but there's nothing like it in 2015. These are examples of things where it's possible to get used to the new way of doing things, or work around them, but it's just a hair slower and more inconvenient to use.

• I also sorely miss Quicken 2007's "memorized" or "locked" Quickfill transactions. In Quicken 2015, it will auto-fill a transaction based on matching the Payee, but there is no way to lock a transaction for future use; it will always just match the last one used. In 2007, I often locked a transaction as a "template" for future use, or because some transactions for a particular Payee would vary from the normal, and I didn't want to have to change it back the next time after the abnormal one. (Examples: a paycheck with a one-time extra deduction or one-time extra pay, which will revert to "normal" the next paycheck. Or a cable bill which has a one-time charge, which will revert to the normal amount next month.) It's not a killer omission, but it does slow me down and frustrate me a bit. Based on the way all transactions live in the Quicken 2015 database, I'm not sure memorized transactions will ever come back.

• Reports in Quicken is one of the key areas that's holding me back from moving to 2015. The reporting in 2015 is very limited, sometimes maddeningly so. There are no reports for a simple Income Statement or Balance sheet. There is no comparison Income Statement to compare the current year to last year, something I use a lot in 2007. There is no QuickReport in 2015; there are ways to do mostly similar reports, but it requires grouping accounts and setting filters that require more time and thinking than the simple and immensely useful QuickReport in 2007. You can't tweak the reports -- hiding columns or adjusting column widths to make a report fit better on a page, for instance -- as you could in 2007. A category report in 2015 doesn't include allow you to include investment categories (other than cash proceeds from dividends), which are sometimes needed or desirable. I really dislike the look of the reports: they're wide and use many more pages, they show total and subtotals above, rather than below, what they are totaling (what accounting software does such a thing?!). Selecting reports by category uses an awful user interface that's for picking categories. There's more I could pick on, but suffice it to say the reporting -- which I understand came over from Essentials virtually unchanged -- is in need of a major overhaul. From comments the development team has made, I think it's likely to get some love in the months ahead. [UPDATE: As of late January 2015, one problem has been fixed: the user interface for selecting accounts/categories/tags for reports has been completely redone. And a Net Worth Over Time Report has been added. None of the other shortcomings with reports I mentioned above have been addressed yet.]

• If you use the budgeting features in 2007, what passes for budgeting in 2015 will likely drive you crazy. You can't build a budget for a year, and compare actual income/spending to your budget. Instead, it builds a budget for a month, based on your spending the past three months. That might work well for some things which are relatively constant, such as groceries, but it fails miserably for things that change seasonally (utility bills, lawn care/gardening expenses), things you might pay annually or sporadically (insurance bills, memberships, concert subscriptions). [UPDATE: 12-moth budgeting was added in the Quicken 2016 version 3.3.1 update in May 2016.]

• There is nothing in Quicken 2015 to help you see how your investments have performed over time. Of course, I can consult external sources of information to see performance on a stock-by-stock or mutual fund-by-mutual find basis, but what I really want is to see how all my investments have performed, in one window or one report.

• Reconciling a bank account or credit card statement is slower and more tedious than in 2007. (This may not be an issue if you download all your transactions, but as I mentioned, I enter my transactions manually because I have a lot of splits, like to record lots of details in memos, and use this as a check against what the bank/credit card company reports.)

I think there are probably a few more areas I'm not thinking of off the top of my head, but that hopefully gives you some idea of how 2007 versus 2015 stacks up for me. I should add that there are also some features of 2015 that I find better than 2007, such as the ability to customize the registers. I'm also sure someone else could post a very different comparison, and they might be delighted because they really wanted the mobile app. So as I said at the start, every Quicken user will evaluate this differently. And while Quicken 2015 isn't yet where I want or need it to be, I'm very hopeful it will get there eventually, as the development team has more time to add features users desire. As the product manager said last month: "I don't expect many Quicken 2007 or Quicken Windows users to purchase the product until it has the features they need. The bottom line is: we released what we felt was a great release for Quicken Essentials users, and the plan is to continue to enhance the product adding legacy features that appear in other versions of Quicken throughout the year." That's why I'm onboard, even though I'm not yet onboard!  
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • PatPat Member
    edited November 2016

I upgraded from Quicken Essentials to Quicken 2015 for Mac and regret doing so. I was looking for a more robust problem like Quicken for Windows but have had nothing but problems. I felt I got accurate information from Quicken Essentials but have to be very vigilent with 2015 as weird things happen with downloads and I am not confident about the data.
  • edited October 2018

I downloaded QM2015 a couple weeks ago when it appeared that downloading and reconciling accounts over the internet in QM2007 was no longer possible due to new security protocols not supported in QM2007. But downloading and reconciling in QM2015 is just not working for me. I, like jacobs, enter many transactions manually before they are available for download from the bank or credit card company. Then I download later from the financial institution for reconciling purposes. I was able to do this easily and reliably for years with QM2007, but no longer, and it doesn't look hopeful that it will be possible any time soon in QM2015.

The best part about QM2015, I think, is the flexibility of being able to view registers sorted by almost any desired criteria, which is not possible in QM2007. But does this outweigh losing reliable, regular downloads that can be reconciled quickly, as was possible in 2007? I am now considering going back to 2007 and doing manual reconciles each month when my statements are available by other-than internet download, and giving up on doing them more frequently as was once possible.

I will be cheering in the street when QM 2015 has improved its download and reconcile capabilities to match those of QM 2007. Only then will I consider purging QM2007 from my hard drive for good.
  • tamarawtamaraw Member
    edited July 2016

I downloaded QM2015 a couple weeks ago when it appeared that downloading and reconciling accounts over the internet in QM2007 was no longer possible due to new security protocols not supported in QM2007. But downloading and reconciling in QM2015 is just not working for me. I, like jacobs, enter many transactions manually before they are available for download from the bank or credit card company. Then I download later from the financial institution for reconciling purposes. I was able to do this easily and reliably for years with QM2007, but no longer, and it doesn't look hopeful that it will be possible any time soon in QM2015.

The best part about QM2015, I think, is the flexibility of being able to view registers sorted by almost any desired criteria, which is not possible in QM2007. But does this outweigh losing reliable, regular downloads that can be reconciled quickly, as was possible in 2007? I am now considering going back to 2007 and doing manual reconciles each month when my statements are available by other-than internet download, and giving up on doing them more frequently as was once possible.

I will be cheering in the street when QM 2015 has improved its download and reconcile capabilities to match those of QM 2007. Only then will I consider purging QM2007 from my hard drive for good.

I had moved from a PC platform to a MAC about 3 years ago and have struggled with Quicken Essentials ever since. Finally ended up giving up. YET, I tried other software and decided to give Quicken a real go again and started over with Quicken for MAC 2015.  There have been struggles. I am in a love/hate relationship with it right now.  I am really trying hard and am not going to give up - at least for many months more effort. I do like the interface with the banks and Fidelity upgraded their interface specifically to include a MAC interface. Vanguard hasn't done that yet so our balance on-line is not the same balance as in Quicken. I'm puzzling on that. I also don't seem to be able to enter a paycheck and have been searching for how to do that. I could do that in Essentials with the split transactions. Crazy that Q15 seems to not allow both the Debit and Credit, they allow the Transfers and the net deposit so it looks like it might need a "work around". I am hoping I am wrong.  This could end up reasonably OK if Quicken keeps working at it. I haven't really had technical difficulties, except for the anomalies with some of the investment interfaces. As I said, so far I like the bank interface and the ease of some of the editing type features. I am a finance professional, but willing to ease back for home accounting, but good grief. We all want good budgeting (annual expenses as versus monthly etc.)  I'm hoping others are wrong when they say it isn't done like this!
    edited December 2016

@tamaraw, you've got so many questions ... that it would really be better if you started your own new question ... using the box at upper right.  To try to assist you, in this thread, is going to lead only to confused inter-tangling with the original question.
  • tamarawtamaraw Member
    edited July 2016

I am sorry - I don't really have a question as much as I was trying to show how painful it is to discover things like needing to do work-arounds for paycheck entries (I guess this is a question if I am wrong).  And how sad I was to find I can't enter an annual budget (ditto to above remark).  So, I am really not going to give up, but I want others to think about this. I've used different versions of Quicken for over 20 years and I truly want Quicken for MAC to make it so I am hanging in there. Yes, I've asked the questions separately and yes I've been given some ideas of how to do work arounds on the paycheck. I will do separate budgeting on excel.
  • edited July 2016

Since I asked my original question, I have been thinking that I really don't have much choice but to try to make QMac 2015 work for me, because it seems increasingly obvious that QMac 2007 is being abandoned by both Intuit and the financial institutions that formerly would download reliably into it (no pun intended). But I am still wondering if anyone is comfortable doing regular downloads and reconciles with QM 2015. But I think I should submit that as a separate question. Thanks for your response.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@tamaraw, whatever question you have about entering a paycheck, please enter it as a new question. I'm pretty sure   there's a way to do whatever you'd want to do with splits for a paycheck.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited December 2016

And since the OP is moving to another question ... so should we.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers. 

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in QM2007 end up in the latest version.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • StevenSteven Member
    edited August 2018
    I upgraded from 2007 to 2015.  Found it frustratng due to duplication of transactions, missing categories and clunky downloads from my banks.  The Mac version doesn't have all of the features of 2007 but they have added features.  It takes some work getting everything up and running but with all its shortfalls I do like using it.

Now that 2016 is out it might be better.  Here is a link to youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck1pRaM1OTM&list=PL3zTmETzbRcHj_cyCskBCi8dcmDdmwOrk  series talking about the product.  I found it very helpful.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

I upgraded from 2007 to 2015.  Found it frustratng due to duplication of transactions, missing categories and clunky downloads from my banks.  The Mac version doesn't have all of the features of 2007 but they have added features.  It takes some work getting everything up and running but with all its shortfalls I do like using it.

Now that 2016 is out it might be better.  Here is a link to youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck1pRaM1OTM&list=PL3zTmETzbRcHj_cyCskBCi8dcmDdmwOrk  series talking about the product.  I found it very helpful.

Here is a ton more info for help with QM2017, starting here: https://www.quicken.com/support#osx

If that is not enough, this may help too (material written for QM2016). Check out the following: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-faq-where-to-find-a-help-guide-f...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • jasonp_austinjasonp_austin Member
    edited April 2018

Re: downloading financial data into QMac 2007.  I do this every month, but indirectly.  Every financial website I use supports downloading transactions into either a QFX or QIF file (some offer both).  I can upload the QIF files directly into QMac 2007, the QFX files I convert to QIF using a Perl script.  That works fine, but I make the process even better by auto-adding categories to the transactions (via another Perl script) before uploading into Quicken.

I have QM2016 but not currently using it, for many of the reasons stated above.  If any of my normal financial websites stop supporting QIF/QFX file downloads then I will either have to enter everything manually (probably not doable because of the number of transactions, especially from brokerages) or force myself to use QM2016 (or newer).