I have 2 separate quciken accounts and want to combine them into one. How do I do that?

ronlevinronlevin Member
edited October 2018 in
I have tried to File import and restore with no success.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Terminology clarification needed.  Do you have 2 accounts in a single Q data file?  1 account in each of 2 Q data files?  Or what?
    Also, how was the 2nd account created?  During the setup of download, perhaps?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ronlevinronlevin Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for your quick response.  I have 1 account in each separate Quicken file.  I really can't be 100% sure of how the 2nd account was created.  Ron
    edited October 2018
    OK, combining accounts can get tricky ... but let's see if there are alternatives.  What type of accounts are they?  And how far back does the newest one go?
    edited July 2016
    They are both different checking accounts (1 for business and 1 for personal).  The one account that I want to move or transfer goes back to 2003
    edited October 2018
    But if they end up in the same place, does it really matter which moves?  Which is why I asked which is newer.
    edited July 2016
    Got it.  However, they both go back to 2003.
    edited October 2018
    Well, that eliminates the easy option ... of just abandoning an almost new data file and starting it over by downloading from the bank.  Most bank downloads, initiated from within Q, will only go back 30-90 days (which is the BANK's decision).

One more, fairly easy, option (before we get to the hard ones). Go to your bank(s) website and see if they allow you to download older transactions.  SOME banks allow that, even if they only let Q download 30-90 days.  IF they allow you to download all the way back to 2003 would be ideal.

Next best, would be if they'll let you download several years ... and you decide that you could abandon a number of those oldest data years.  I'm grasping at straws to try to find a way to download a lot of your info, because the "hard way" is messy and error prone.
    edited July 2016
    I will contact my bank and see if that's possible.  I will keep you informed.  Thanks so much for helping, I really appreciate it!!!
    edited October 2018

BTW, here's the link to the procedure for merging 2 Q data files. http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-to-merge-two-quicken-files
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7