Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

92 quadrillion problem

steve parkersteve parker Member ✭✭✭

Searching this board I've seen that this problem has come up a couple of times, but I haven't seen anyone say that they got an answer that helped.

An Ameritrade account is showing a balance of -92,233,720,368,541,467.32 in any type of report that shows account balances. Another poster had a number that was the same, except for the last 6 digits and cents, i.e., -92,233,720,368,... was the same, but my ...541,467.32 was different for that person.

When viewing the account itself, it has a zero balance as it should (closed in 2012). Checking with the Holdings button also produces zero currently, and expected values in the period when the amount first appears in the reports.

I've narrowed down the date when the balance changes: 8-20-2003. There are transactions on that date, but none that reflect this type of error. I checked price history for securities in the account around that time; everything looks consistent.

I've tried validating and re-calculating so far. Worst case, I have back-ups that don't exhibit this problem. Thinking of deleting the account from the current file, exporting the transactions from the backup, and importing into the current file.

If anyone has any suggestions, would appreciate.

Comments

  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you haven't already, I suggest that you attempt to determine which of these transactions might have been corrupted by deleting them one at a time.  If you're able to identify bad transactions, you may be able restore a current backup and try deleting just the bad transactions and then reentering them.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • steve parkersteve parker Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    8/1/2014 is last backup without issue.  (I back up every third day.)
  • steve parkersteve parker Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Sherlock said:

    If you haven't already, I suggest that you attempt to determine which of these transactions might have been corrupted by deleting them one at a time.  If you're able to identify bad transactions, you may be able restore a current backup and try deleting just the bad transactions and then reentering them.

    Using this method I found that deleting transaction on 8/19/2003,the day before the reports show the balance changing to the negative quadrillion amount, makes it go away.  

    After deleting and re-entering the transaction there is a problem with the ending balance, which should be zero but isn't.  So more reconciling!

    On second thought, will try recalculating the account first and report back here.

    Appreciate the suggestion.
  • steve parkersteve parker Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Sherlock said:

    If you haven't already, I suggest that you attempt to determine which of these transactions might have been corrupted by deleting them one at a time.  If you're able to identify bad transactions, you may be able restore a current backup and try deleting just the bad transactions and then reentering them.

    Re-calc'ing didn't help.  So have some reconciling to do...

    Thanks again for suggestions.
  • steve parkersteve parker Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

    I fixed it.  By running investment reports was able to narrow it down to a trade in an IRA account involving Cisco.  Eventually found that it was every trade involving Cisco in that account; about ten of them, all 10 - 15 years ago.  Tried some test transactions with that security; sometimes caused $92 quad, sometimes not.  Changing to any other security in the bad transactions fixed it.  So, I deduced CSCO was the problem and did the following: 


    --I changed the name of it to Cisco - corrupted, and changed the symbol to CSCO-X.  


    --Then added new security CSCO.  


    --Went thru' and edited each trade, all of which were showing CSCO-X, to the new security CSCO


    --Followed by validate and rebuild investing lots because account balance was off.  


    --Then deleted CSCO-X.





    So far no more $92 quadrillion (knock on wood).
  • I fixed it. 

    Thanks for the post, Steve.  Worked for me, as well.
This discussion has been closed.