Windows XP users, converting to Mac 2016, beware.

edited October 2018 in

While it is stated that Windows Quicken 2010 or newer versions can be converted to Quicken 2016 Mac, it is not possible for you to convert this data at home if you are running Windows XP (the Quicken Converter is not supported).  When I contacted Quicken, they offered to convert my data for free, provided I email them my data file -- not sure about others, but I'm not intending to email 20+ years of financial data, so that Quicken can convert it.  Returning my copy of 2016 Mac tomorrow, and will simply continue to run Quicken on my Windows laptop.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Quicken made a valid offer to do the conversion and you chose to not accept it.  Your loss.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I would go ahead and get your data converted. If you ever update to Quicken for Windows, those newer versions all require Vista SP2 or later. (The convertor you can't run is actually a stripped down version of QWin 2016.)
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Do you have a friend with a newer Windows you can do the conversion on?  You probably know someone or a family member.
  • edited July 2016
    What if you sanitized the data by removing references to account numbers, names of financial institutions, any of your personal data, etc? That way if Intuit's conversion servers are hacked, the hackers won't get sensitive information. I've never used an FI name, account number, or personal info in the 13+ years I've used Quicken.
  • Levoy HLevoy H SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I would think sanitizing the data file would kinda defeat the whole point of converting the file, wouldn't it?

I would also not worry too much about sending them your data file.  Most of us who've participated in beta testing have sent in a file or two at one time or another.  Intuit has too much to lose by being careless - I believe they delete your file (securely) the minute they're done with it.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    [mention://4226173 @gfm1959]: Also be aware that many banks and financial institutions have or will in the future limit or block support for people running Windows XP, since the now-unsupported operating system no longer receives security patches. So continuing with your old version of Quicken for Windows under XP may not give you much of a long-term path.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • edited July 2016
    No, Art, as you are only removing sensitive data, not the transactions info. For example, my checking account shows the checks I write, deposits, my ATM withdrawals, etc. What it DOESN'T show is the name of my bank or the account number.
  • Levoy HLevoy H SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well, I must say I've never used that feature, so thanks for the update.  However, re-importing the converted sanitized file would still leave you with quite a bit of work to do filling in the details that were stripped out - especially if you've got a file like mine.  Obviously, that could be different for you.
  • edited July 2016
    True. I've done mine this way for over 13 years and never saw a reason to have the FI's names or the account numbers in my data file. Of course I only have 1 checking, 2 savings, and 5 credit card accounts to track. As with anything, YMMV!
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks to all for your feedback, especially volvogirl.  Her solution was so obvious, I'm embarrassed to not have thought of it before posting.  I have access to a Windows 10 laptop from work - I copied my backup file to that computer, downloaded the converter, converted the file, and uploaded that to the new Quicken 2016 on my Mac.  Everyone of my nearly 14,000 transactions (including investment transactions) transferred seamlessly - everything is there, and so far everything looks good!  Thanks again.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Glad I could help.  Alls well that ends well.  Thanks for posting back and letting us know.