Quicken for Mac 2016 v3.3.0 & 3.3.1 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
It’s been a crazy month on the Quicken Mac team.  We’ve hired 2 new outstanding Mac developers who are already contributing to the project.  We have also been working tirelessly on 3 big features: 12-Month budgets, As of Date for investments which marketing is calling Portfolio Time Machine and Direct Connect Bill Pay support in scheduled transactions.  Thanks to all of our dedicated beta testers who provided us bugs and feedback on these new features.  The 12-Month budget we’re releasing today is a lot better because of the hard work of our team but also the great input from our beta community.  I think there’s a world of difference between Beta 1 and what you’ll see in 3.3.  If you want to join our beta program you can click here.
As always, we’re releasing 3.3 in small spurts so not everyone will be able to get the update today but it should be widely available to everyone in a week unless we find a major issue.  For those of you who are able to upgrade, please let us know if you find any issues and report them here in the forum post.  This way we can find and fix new 3.3 issues quickly.  Please try to keep issues to just the 3.3 release to keep this forum focused on just these issues.  Once it looks like 3.3 is a solid release we’ll submit it to Apple for their review to update Mac App Store customers.  It can take up to 10 days for Apple to approve a release when they are busy but hopefully this is a slow time for them and we’ll be able to get the release out quickly to Mac App Store customers.
Here are more details about the new features.
12-Month Budgets
  • We’ve added the ability to plan and track a budget over a 12-month period.  This is a huge improvement over our previous single month budget feature and was the number 1 requested feature from our Quicken.com voting page.  If there is a feature you want, please go to that page to add your suggestions.
  • We’ll automatically create a new budget with default values from your previous year’s income and expenses.  You can then edit categories and values in the budget set-up screen.  There’s also a feature that will copy a budget value to other months.
  • We also have a 12-Month budget view that shows you actual and budgeted values and a chart that provides a quick way to see whether you’re on target, under or over budget. 
  • There is also a Summary column that allows you to see how you’re doing compared to your entire year's budget or up to the current month.
  • We have also removed the ability to budget based on tags.  This was added in Quicken Essentials but Quicken Windows never supported this feature and it became clear why since it made the 12-Month budget overly complex since tag totals could overlap and cause double counting with category totals.  We also have statistics that show only .08% of users created a tag budget so there's are only a handful of people that use it.  Because of both these facts, we decided to remove this feature from the product.  Of course if you are one of the people that used this feature this won’t be great news.   We’re going to automatically create a tag report for you that will do a similar thing but we also ask for your feedback so we can better understand how you used this feature which will help our planning in the future.
Portfolio Time Machine (Investment As of Date)
  • This feature is fairly simple but really powerful.  This was a feature that many of our investor customers were holding out for before they stopped using Quicken 2007 or their Windows VMs.  Basically this feature allows you to change the date of your portfolio view after which all the numbers “go back in time” and display the numbers of your account on this entered date.  You may want to do this if you are reconciling your account with a brokerage statement or if you’re trying to do your taxes and want historical information or maybe you’re just curious to help inform your investing strategy.  
Direct Bill Pay and Scheduled Transactions
  • Basically Direct Bill Pay didn’t work with Scheduled Transactions.  Thank you to all of you who reported this issue in the 3.2 forum post.  This was a complete miss on our part and just didn’t work so it’s not even a bug.  We had to do a bunch of stuff and planning to make it work.  Please give it a try.  I hope it’s working as you expect but if it's not, report back here and let us know.

This release also includes tons of great stability fixes.  Please refer to the release notes to see if we fixed one of your issues. 
Thanks again for using Quicken and we hope you like this free feature upgrade.
The Quicken Mac Team
5/5 UPDATE: Today we're starting to roll out 3.3.1 which has a few bug fixes to 3.3.0.  We expect this release to be available to everyone within a week except for Mac App Store customers.  It takes a little longer for App Store because Apple has to approve the release.  I'll report back here when it's also available to App Store customers.
5/6 UPDATE: 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 are now being used by about 30% of our customers.  If all goes well we'll open up the release to everyone including App Store customers on Monday.  Apple was incredibly fast with their review this time so we're good to go a lot earlier than we expected.
5/9 UPDATE: 3.3.1 is released to everyone including Mac App Store customers.

Comments

• EricO
    EricO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Marcus, The following credit card transaction download problems are not strictly a 3.3 release issues. They first manifested themselves in 3.2.1 (I never installed 3.2). I reported them at that time but am repeating them here since they have not been resolved.

1. American Express: I have both an Amex Costco card and an Amex Blue card. Both previously downloaded transactions properly; however, now the Costco card works properly but the Blue card is marked as a "Error 324 Account Marked as Dead". When I deactivate downloads, delete & Keychain info & repeat the setup process, I was able to again set up the Blue card with a window showing both cards properly linked but continue but continue to receive the "Dead" error. At one point I received a download error of 900 (?) and a message about the Throttler and "in Progress". The Costco card continues to download transactions properly.

2. Capital One Venture Card: This account also worked properly in the past but now downloads and marks as cleared both the posted transactions and now a selection of the pending transactions with each download. The online balance is properly downloaded and tied to the posted transactions only. This obviously makes reconciliation very difficult. I have to go to my account in a browser, identify and unmark the improperly downloaded pending items, reconcile the account in Quicken and then finally go back and mark the improperly downloaded pending items as cleared since, having already been downloaded, Quicken will not download & mark them cleared again once they have become posted transactions.

Both of these issues may a Quicken backend issue rather than a Quicken Mac version update issue, but it is coincidental that they occurred about the time QM was updated. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanks.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    EricO said:

Marcus, The following credit card transaction download problems are not strictly a 3.3 release issues. They first manifested themselves in 3.2.1 (I never installed 3.2). I reported them at that time but am repeating them here since they have not been resolved.

1. American Express: I have both an Amex Costco card and an Amex Blue card. Both previously downloaded transactions properly; however, now the Costco card works properly but the Blue card is marked as a "Error 324 Account Marked as Dead". When I deactivate downloads, delete & Keychain info & repeat the setup process, I was able to again set up the Blue card with a window showing both cards properly linked but continue but continue to receive the "Dead" error. At one point I received a download error of 900 (?) and a message about the Throttler and "in Progress". The Costco card continues to download transactions properly.

2. Capital One Venture Card: This account also worked properly in the past but now downloads and marks as cleared both the posted transactions and now a selection of the pending transactions with each download. The online balance is properly downloaded and tied to the posted transactions only. This obviously makes reconciliation very difficult. I have to go to my account in a browser, identify and unmark the improperly downloaded pending items, reconcile the account in Quicken and then finally go back and mark the improperly downloaded pending items as cleared since, having already been downloaded, Quicken will not download & mark them cleared again once they have become posted transactions.

Both of these issues may a Quicken backend issue rather than a Quicken Mac version update issue, but it is coincidental that they occurred about the time QM was updated. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanks.

EricOB, thanks for reporting this issue.  We are definitely seeing a number of customers running into the Error 324 or  Dead account issue.  We don't know why it's happening but have been investigating it for the past month or so.   We will continue to investigate and hopefully find a fix.   At a minimum if we can't find the root cause, we're developing a troubleshooting feature to help customers quickly and easily fix the problem themselves.  Of course we would rather fix the core issue.  Someone will contact you directly to see if they can get your account back up and running for you and to find out more about the Capital One Venture Card issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    How to enter PUT and CALL options so they will show up in the  Capital Gains report I creat each week. The SHORT SELLS seem to be the real problem as they never show up in ANY report; not even in the REALIZED GAINS tab in my Brokerage account
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Quicken Mac Team - I am not seeing many problems noted here.  Is it safe to assume that v3.3 will be opening up to everyone soon?  I am very eager to try the 12-Month budget functionality.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    J. Holmes said:

Hi Quicken Mac Team - I am not seeing many problems noted here.  Is it safe to assume that v3.3 will be opening up to everyone soon?  I am very eager to try the 12-Month budget functionality.

We're planning on a 3.3.1 release that will go wide to everyone hopefully sometime this week but we're waiting to hear back from our support team.   I'll keep everyone posted.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Ed Cribb said:

How to enter PUT and CALL options so they will show up in the  Capital Gains report I creat each week. The SHORT SELLS seem to be the real problem as they never show up in ANY report; not even in the REALIZED GAINS tab in my Brokerage account

I wanted to get back to you.  Sorry, I personally don't know the answer.  I need to check with our investing gurus.  I'll post a reply here once I find out.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Ed Cribb said:

I chatted with our head of QA who says you should treat the put and call contracts as individual securities that are unrelated to the actual security they represent.  For example if you buy a call option for Intuit at $1.80 per share at a strike price for 100 you would add this transaction as a Buy, Security="INTU May 2016 100.000" Symbol="INTU160520C00100000" (I got this info from Yahoo Finance), Total Cost=$180, Shares=100. If it expires you enter in a Sale for this same security at $0 per share so you take a loss.  If you sell the call for >1.80/share then enter this as a Sale for the amount you sold it for and your gain is the difference.  Since these are manually created securities and can't be downloaded you'll need to also enter in Price History values manually to see values in your portfolio view.  This is done in the security window.  The key point is to treat puts and calls as individual securities within Quicken and all the reports should work correctly as long as you also enter in the corresponding sell or buy if and when they expire.  Let me know if this didn't answer your specific question.  I know you said something about Short Sells but wasn't exactly sure I had enough to answer that question.  We do have a Short Sell investment type.  Give that a look to see if it helps.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I see the entries:
    • We also have a 12-Month budget view that shows you actual and budgeted values and a chart that provides a quick way to see whether you’re on target, under or over budget.
    • There is also a Summary column that allows you to see how you’re doing compared to your entire year's budget or up to the current month.

can someone reply to the following request about whether these features  are the same as a budget report that compares budgeted amounts to actual spending through the end of a given month or period of time (not just through the current date) or if there is something else that accomplishes this?
    http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/budget-report-options

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

I see the entries:

can someone reply to the following request about whether these features  are the same as a budget report that compares budgeted amounts to actual spending through the end of a given month or period of time (not just through the current date) or if there is something else that accomplishes this?
    http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/budget-report-options

smayer97 thanks for bringing this to our attention.  The new 12-Month Budget feature supports seeing actual and budgeted values and differences represented by a horizontal bar graph.  These appear on-screen in a spreadsheet like fashion but are not currently printable.  The periods of time we support are monthly, from beginning of the budget year to the current date and for the entire year.  We currently do not support quarterly.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    [mention://92472 [mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus]] BTW, love your level of transparency, involvement, attentiveness, and promptness, both before you left and since your return. Very much appreciated and a real breath of fresh air. May this be contagious and influence the corporate culture. Keep up the good work.  :+1:

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the update!  I received the update and I am looking forward to playing with it.
  • cinnamon1953
    cinnamon1953 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I received your update for my Mac and i LOVE it.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

[mention://92472 [mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus]] BTW, love your level of transparency, involvement, attentiveness, and promptness, both before you left and since your return. Very much appreciated and a real breath of fresh air. May this be contagious and influence the corporate culture. Keep up the good work.  :+1:

Thanks for the nice words.  Everyone here is committed to being open and transparent with customers about where we're at in our journey to remake our products.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    J. Holmes said:

Thanks for the update!  I received the update and I am looking forward to playing with it.

Let us know what you think!
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Thanks for letting us know.  We'd love to hear more feedback on budgets and the new investment feature.  We're right now planning the second wave of improvements to budgets so we're looking for more input.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Yes, transparency has been improving overall but your level of involvement, attentiveness, and promptness is highly commendable and notable.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    (1) Ability to Print a budget!
    (2) Ability to view (and print) budget by quarters, in addition to months and years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    jacobs said:

(2) Ability to view (and print) budget by quarters, in addition to months and years.

Yup. Makes sense.  We're working on the ability to export the budget data as a CSV now so that one can get it into Excel and manipulate it in anyway they want.  We think this will give people a lot of flexibility to organize the data anyway they want and to print it but building in more stock capabilities is also in our plan.  Thanks for the feedback.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    jacobs said:

Exporting to Excel/Numbers is probably easier and faster, and therefore a very good next step for you to take. And that takes of the pressure to deliver printing natively in Quicken -- but I do hope that will follow at some point. Not everyone is adept with spreadsheets, or wants to mess with them just to print what they can see on screen. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    jacobs said:

Agreed.  Exporting to CSV is a first step but not a replacement for a quarterly report or printing natively from the app.
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    J. Holmes said:

[mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus] At first glance - the budget and investment enhancements are bug wins.  Congrats!  I am looking forward to exploring the new functionality over the next few days.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    J. Holmes said:

Hopefully you meant "big" and not "bug" above :smile:.  If you do find issues please report them here.
  • Surklyn
    Surklyn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

So I want to point out an issue I'm having with the budgeting functions.  When you are editing budget categories (in full screen mode only), as soon as you accept them the screen goes black.  This only happens when the category edits are done in full screen mode.  Running OSX 10.11.5
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Surklyn said:

So I want to point out an issue I'm having with the budgeting functions.  When you are editing budget categories (in full screen mode only), as soon as you accept them the screen goes black.  This only happens when the category edits are done in full screen mode.  Running OSX 10.11.5

Thanks for reporting this issue.  Interesting.  I just tried this and wasn't able to reproduce the issue on a MacBook Pro laptop.  When did you go into full screen mode?  I got into full screen while still in the Budget View.  It appears to not be able to go into full screen mode if you have the edit budget sheet down.  Is anyone else seeing this?  I'll continue to try a few things to try to repro.  Does this reproduce 100% of the time?
  • Surklyn
    Surklyn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Surklyn said:

Im using a 2011 Macbook Air, it happens 100% of the time.  This what I just did.   clicked on budget.  Clicked the green "full screen" button on the top left.  Clicked Edit Budget.  Select Categories.  clicked on any category to select or deselect and clicked ok.  the Screen turns black.   I just did it 4 times, I have 4 full screen quicken "desktops" that are black.   :)
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Surklyn said:

That's the same thing I did.  Maybe it's a video card issue or memory.  Are you connected to a monitor?  I'll email you to get more info.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Surklyn said:

OK.  I just checked with my team and this is a bug we already fixed internally but it hasn't been released yet.  This is why I can't reproduce the problem but you're seeing it.  Sorry for the confusion.  There is a fix coming...we hope to get another update out in a couple of weeks.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Hi, I am trying to enter a Garbage and recycling budget that occurs every 3 months at $83.00.  I entered the $83.00 into the month of February and click on the option to enter every quarter.  It populated each month with $27.66.  I would have expected the $83.00 to appear in May,August, November only since that is when the payment is required.  Not sure if this is the way it was planned.
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    [mention://92472 [mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus]] - when in Edit Budget, I have Business Income:Rental Income (Business) and Personal Income: Bonus & Personal Income:Paycheck selected.  Everything appears correctly on the 12-Months view.  However, when I change over to the 1-Month view, Personal Income:Bonus is showing under expenses opposed to income. please contact me if you would like a screenshot.  Thanks.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    J. Holmes said:

[mention://92472 [mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus]] - when in Edit Budget, I have Business Income:Rental Income (Business) and Personal Income: Bonus & Personal Income:Paycheck selected.  Everything appears correctly on the 12-Months view.  However, when I change over to the 1-Month view, Personal Income:Bonus is showing under expenses opposed to income. please contact me if you would like a screenshot.  Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this. Let me try this out and get back to you.
This discussion has been closed.