Is it me or is the Quicken 2011 not user friendly?

Jule5Jule5 Member
edited January 22 in

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I don't find it to be any less friendly than Q'2008, some things are just different, but I haven't been bitten yet.  I changed over in late October'2010 and I'm used to the changes now.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DavidpaulDavidpaul Member
    edited July 2016
    what do you find as not being user friendly?
  • edited July 2016
    I find that the changes from 2008 to 2011 are less user friendly. How many times do you change the date range of the transactions you want to see while once a month you do a reconcile? I wish you could have an selection of what "options" you want at the top of register.
  • AlAl Member
    edited July 2016
    Not user friendly at all. After using Microsoft Money which held your hand and walked you through the steps I find it very aggravating to install this software and wonder how the heck to use it. And I am very computer savvy.
    edited July 2016
    QINM
  • edited July 2016
    It is NOT YOU, it is Quicken.  I think it's the least user friendly since I first began using Quicken when it was still identified with the version number (2.0).  My last upgrade was 2009, but now I cannot figure out how to find the "merge transactions" featuare, enter payroll information for income, etc.  And the HELP does not.  
    I am an experienced user, having used Quicken for close to 20 years.  Over the years, I find that costs of software go up as the utility of HELP and user manuals go down.
  • BordyBordy Member
    edited July 2016
    <p>I'm beginning to get the same feeling. Quicken tells me to check with my CU, and CU say nothing wrong but Quicken won't accept the ID and password. Anger is increasing.</p>
  • Tom'47Tom'47 Member
    edited July 2016
    I am having a terrible time with 2011.  Earlier versions were much easier to use.
  • Dot0Dot0 Member
    edited July 2016
    totally agree about Quicken 2011...wish i had never bought it.  Liked my Q 2009, much better!
  • patsipatsi Member
    edited July 2016
    I absolutely HATE this program........ I always liked Quicken until now.   If there was another program I could buy....I would.
  • Cal37Cal37 Member
    edited July 2016
    I just got 2011 and cannot figure out how to reconcile my bank account?  I cannot find anything in Help.  This is my first try to use it and am very unhappy.
  • ManicManic Member
    edited July 2016
    Right there with all of you - I am so disappointed!  I find their help to be horrible and the navigation gets you all over the place.  Yuck yuck and more yuck.
    edited July 2016
    To reconile:
    1) open the account register you wish to reconile.
    2) click the "Account Actions" button
    3) select "Reconcile"
    4) Follow prompts.
    5) done.
  • edited July 2016
    I have been using Quicken since 1994 and each new edition gets more complicated and less user friendly.  I love the basic program but wish you would stop changing things around everytime you come out with a new edition.
  • BerleyBerley Member
    edited July 2016
    DavidPaul, thanks for the reconcile steps.  I just switched from Money (which I loved) to Q 2011 (which I do not).  Is it possible for me to enter my own transactions and then download from the bank in order to match transactions?  I liked to enter my own into Money and make sure they are correct with what the bank has.  I have spent far too much time attempting to read the help on this new software.  I am not averse to using or to learning new programs, but I find nothing friendly about Q2011.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Berley:
    Yes, you can enter your data manually or as someone put it the other day, you can do a keyboard download.  Just bring up the register in question, and start typing in the blank line at the bottom.
    To be able to control the download completely and accept the downloaded transactions one at a time, make sure that you have "Automatically add downloaded transactions to registers" UNCHECKED in Preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> Download Transactions).  This will have Quicken not auto-accept the d/l'ed transactions and then you can decide if Quicken is suggesting the correct match.  If you disagree with the suggestion, then click on the edit button on the d/l'ed transaction and select "Match Manually".

hth
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    I upgraded from Quicken 2008 and have done lots of upgrades before that, I will say that this version had the most significant changes to the UI, just give it a week, maybe a bit more,  to get used to where everything is again.

Once you get used to where everything is again, it all seems very sensible.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • Tom NiemeierTom Niemeier Member
    edited July 2016
    I don't like 2011 Qkn. Simple. Been using Qkn probably 15 years and most of these upgrades are just fluff and more graphics. Just now it suddenly changed my accounts summary total. Now using any entries versus only those up to the current date. That upsets effective usage considerably since it does not give an accurate snapshot nor allow future entries. Most importantly, HELP is a blank screen. Can't find a way to get it to go back to prior method.
  • kenearlkenearl Member
    edited July 2016
    IT IS QUICKEN I HAVE USEING IT FOR YEARS AND IT GETS LESS USER FRIENDLY EVERY YEAR, IN QUICKEN 2011 I CANT MATCH UP MY INCOME WITH MY BUDGET, I DO NOT HAVE A SALARY JUST A PENSION ,SOCIAL SECURITY AND IRAS
  • AmadorAmador Member
    edited July 2016
    I have used Quicken for many years and always found it easy to use.  I just recently got an Apple for the first time and have Quicken Essentials 2011 installed and hate it.  It is much more difficult to use and has more steps than my older Quicken 2005 to do the same thing.  Amador
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Amador  <BIG SMILE>

But everyone says Mac are so much more friendly!

Frankly I think the ideas of "friendly", "intuitive", and such in software are all farce long ago sold on the public.

People think using a mouse is "intuitive", same for certain icons, and double clicking, single click, right click, dialogs and buttons and all the rest.  The truth is there is nothing "intuitive" or "natural" or "friendly" about it.

You learn something and then it becomes "easy", "friendly", "intuitive", and anything that deviates from that learned behavior is "hard", "unfriendly", "non-intuitive".

I find Quicken "easy", "friendly", "intuitive".  Of course I have been using computers (hardware/software engineer) for 35+ years, and Quicken since 1992.  And new user interfaces don't faze me.
  • pstubbanpstubban Member
    edited July 2016
    I had been using Quicken 2007 for a while.  I just purchased this and find it extremely difficult to use.  I would like to take it off of my computer and put my old version on.  This is a complete waste of $60.00.  I suspect I can find some free software that will be easier to use than this.
  • CliffCliff Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It is not you.