Incorrect Savings Goal Alert

The MergThe Merg Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in
I posted about this issue about a year ago for an issue in Q2011 that is still present in Q2012. I was hoping someone could tell me if this issue still exists in Q2013.

I recently had to re-create some old Savings Goals so that transactions into those accounts were flagged correctly as part of a savings goal. I now have a new issue. Even though the Savings Goal account is listed as Closed and the goal finish date is past, I am getting alerts that the goal is behind schedule. One suggestion was to set the Goal Amount to $0, however, my belief is that kinda defeats the purpose of leaving the closed account around as you then can't see what the original goal was set for. Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

Basically, you can tell Quicken to "Delete" the Savings Goal from the Manage Savings Goal window. If you do so, you have the option to leave Savings Goal as an Asset account in Quicken. However, if you do this, all of the contributions and withdrawls for that Savings Goal become visible in your main account (you cannot hide them anymore). If you opt to not make it an Asset account, the Savings Goal account and all transactions are deleted from Quicken.

The easy way to test this is to create a Savings Goal and set the end date to be in the past. Then after a day or so, you should start getting Alerts on the Home Page that you are behind schedule. You should get these alerts whether or not you have also Closed the Savings Goal account.

I just want to be able to have the Savings Goal end, close the account, and not get alerts on it anymore.

Thanks,
Merg

Comments

• David ChristopherDavid Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Not sure this will satisfy the intent of your question, but I recently had to stop contributing to my Save for Emergencies Savings Goals and several others and transfer the money out of them to place into a Save for Tuition, since my daughter became a freshman this year and my costs after scholarships and grants just about broke me, or at least my savings account. All the money that I was contributing into the older accounts monthly had to be lumped together and added to what used to be child support to go into the new goal, so that twice a year I have the funds to pay the college.

I kept my emergency fund Savings Goal intact and set the end date 5 years into the future to resume after she graduates. All the previous contributions and the withdrawal are in the account which has a 0 balance reflected on the account bar.

So if you advance the ending date on the goals you want to keep around, they will show your contributions and the withdrawal and you will get no alerts until after that future date, by which when, you may no longer require the information in your account bar.
  • The MergThe Merg Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Not sure this will satisfy the intent of your question, but I recently had to stop contributing to my Save for Emergencies Savings Goals and several others and transfer the money out of them to place into a Save for Tuition, since my daughter became a freshman this year and my costs after scholarships and grants just about broke me, or at least my savings account. All the money that I was contributing into the older accounts monthly had to be lumped together and added to what used to be child support to go into the new goal, so that twice a year I have the funds to pay the college.

I kept my emergency fund Savings Goal intact and set the end date 5 years into the future to resume after she graduates. All the previous contributions and the withdrawal are in the account which has a 0 balance reflected on the account bar.

So if you advance the ending date on the goals you want to keep around, they will show your contributions and the withdrawal and you will get no alerts until after that future date, by which when, you may no longer require the information in your account bar.

Interesting solution. I guess that would resolve the issue of getting alerts, however, for reporting purposes I wonder if there is any effect since the end date of the savings goal is not accurate anymore.

It would just be nice if Intuit would fix this bug. I don't see how it could be that hard. If the Savings Account is Closed, then don't generate alerts.

- Merg
    edited July 2016

BTW, if you are using Q2013, would you mind testing to see if this bug has been fixed or not?

- Merg
  • David ChristopherDavid Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I set a Goal date for Save for Propane to the past. I close Quicken and reopen it and get no Alerts. I do not know when you get the alerts, so it is difficult for me to duplicate.

I am on Q2013D and read the help file about alerts. In the Tools menu there is a Alerts Center, on the set up tab I do not have savings goals selected for any alerts, so that may be why I do not get an alert. See if you have an Alerts Center on your version and click on Banking where the Savings Goals are listed. I attach a before and after of mine for you to review.

The first one is as I found it, the second shows what I see if I select or check Savings Goals. But even with that checked I do not get an alert after closing and reopening the file.

I just checked the option for the alert to be in a pop up at the bottom of the screen that is attached and closed and opened, When I reopened, I had the alert. Now let me go undo all of this. Ha!imageimage
    edited July 2016

I set a Goal date for Save for Propane to the past. I close Quicken and reopen it and get no Alerts. I do not know when you get the alerts, so it is difficult for me to duplicate.

I am on Q2013D and read the help file about alerts. In the Tools menu there is a Alerts Center, on the set up tab I do not have savings goals selected for any alerts, so that may be why I do not get an alert. See if you have an Alerts Center on your version and click on Banking where the Savings Goals are listed. I attach a before and after of mine for you to review.

The first one is as I found it, the second shows what I see if I select or check Savings Goals. But even with that checked I do not get an alert after closing and reopening the file.

I just checked the option for the alert to be in a pop up at the bottom of the screen that is attached and closed and opened, When I reopened, I had the alert. Now let me go undo all of this. Ha!imageimage

I believe it takes a day or so before the alert pops up. Mark the Savings Goal account as closed first though (this is not deleting the savings goal). If you could let me know what happens then I'd appreciate it.

- Merg
    edited July 2016

Well, I set changed one of the end dates for my Savings Goal to be the future. Like you, all the contributions and withdrawls are there, but the goal has a $0 balance. Today, I received an alert that I am behind. I guess that since I am not keeping up with what it thinks I should be putting into the Savings Goal, it thinks I am behind.

- Merg
  • Brian McDonaldBrian McDonald Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    My experience is that Intuit gave up and dropped the ball on savings goals.  You can no longer budget withdrawals from them.  They appear as *tax deductible mileage* in reports.  I've seen posts (maybe second hand) from Intuit that states something like "nobody uses them, so we will not fix them".  I'm about ready to budget for 2013 and it looks like another year in Excel again:(.  If savings goals is your driver to upgrade, I would not.  They worked better in 2012 than 2013.