Copy Transaction in Quicken Premier 2013

Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22 in
I just discovered that when I copy and paste an existing transaction in my checking account register as a new transaction, the payee description contains the text of the header columns of the register and no other information is pasted.

I click on the existing transaction in the register, right click, select Copy Transactions(s), then do a Paste Transactions(s) in a new transaction entry line.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Very odd, see attached image.image
Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    No. I'm not seeing that. Q2013 RPM R10. 64 bit Windows 7. [02-23-13]
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Same Quicken and Windows version as you, but still having this issue.  This is probably the first time I have tried this in Quicken 2013, not sure what is causing this.  If I close Quicken and repeat I get the same result.

Of course I entered the transaction manually as a workaround, but don't understand what is going on here.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I didn't conduct an elaborate test; just did a copy/paste in a checking account in a test file. Maybe someone else will have something more useful to add.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Yes, I can duplicate it in Quicken 2013 Premier. I find that if the mouse is in the Payee field when I select the "source" transaction, I can get what you get when it is pasted, but if the mouse is in Category field when the transaction is selected, the copy/paste works correctly.
    ---------------
    Further testing:
    Tried a several different sequences and found that I could get the same header to show up in the Category field, but I could also get the amount to show up in the Category field. Rather than how the source transaction is selected, it appears to be more so where you click on the destination transaction. But regardless, Rich, you aren't imagining things.image
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited December 2016
    splasher said:

Yes, I can duplicate it in Quicken 2013 Premier. I find that if the mouse is in the Payee field when I select the "source" transaction, I can get what you get when it is pasted, but if the mouse is in Category field when the transaction is selected, the copy/paste works correctly.
    ---------------
    Further testing:
    Tried a several different sequences and found that I could get the same header to show up in the Category field, but I could also get the amount to show up in the Category field. Rather than how the source transaction is selected, it appears to be more so where you click on the destination transaction. But regardless, Rich, you aren't imagining things.image

Thanks, man, this seems to be an issue that needs to be addressed, never saw this before.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

---------------
    Further testing:

I think it will shake out to be a conflict between Quicken doing its version of copy/paste and Windows jumping in doing its version.  The header info looks like something that might be part of the info that Windows uses in its process.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited December 2016
    splasher said:

---------------
    Further testing:

Dunno, never seen this before in previous versions.  Definitely not what the end user would expect to happen, no matter where you click in a transaction, it should be copied.
    edited January 22
    Splasher has confirmed the same issue, looking for someone from Inuit to confirm and estimate when it will be fixed.
  • DaaknesDaaknes Member
    edited July 2016
    @RichMNY,
    I have seen and experienced the same issue in Quicken 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2013. There is a work around to make it work and it has worked in all the versions listed above.

First I will cover exactly how to reproduce the problem.

1. Copy any transaction in a checking a register.
    2. Do a single left click in the payee field of a new transaction. (The memorized payee list will drop down)
    3. While the memorized payee list is STILL SHOWING right click in the PAYEE field and click paste transaction. This will cause the column headers to display in the payee field. (This same problem is reproducible in any field with drop down window)

There are several workarounds.

Complete steps 1 and 2 above, but dismiss the memorized payee drop down and you should have a blinking cursor in the payee field without any sort of drop downs. Then RIGHT CLICK in the payee filed and click paste transaction and it will work fine.

You could also just do the paste in the memo field and it should work.(no automatic drop downs in that field)

You could turn off Preferences>Register>Data entry and QuickFill>Automatically open drop-down lists in QuickFill fields and then you wouldn't run into this problem as often. You can keep this option on and right click into any field as your initial click and then click paste. This works because a right click does not cause the automatic drop down box to open.

You can actually do the paste operation in any field so long as that fields associated drop down is not showing. If it is showing then you will get the same type of problem that is associated with the payee field.

Hope this helps,
    Daaknes
  • DaaknesDaaknes Member
    edited July 2016
    R11 does not change the behavior of this bug.  I have posted a workaround as an answer below that still works.