Changing Asset to Savings Goal

The MergThe Merg Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in
I have some old Savings Goals that are listed as the account type Assets, while my newer Savings Goals are listed as Savings Goals. Because the older ones (some of which are still active) are listed as Assets, when I view my register or reconcile, it will show the transactions to those Savings Goals even though I have Hide Savings Goals. Is there any way I can easily switch those accounts over to the type of Savings Goals?

Or do I need to make up a new account, cut the transactions from the old Savings Goal and paste them into the new Savings Goal?

- Merg

Comments

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    "Or do I need to make up a new account ... ".

Yes, create a new Savings Goal account.

" ... cut the transactions from the old Savings Goal and paste them into the new Savings Goal?"

I don't think that will work.

Try using Edit | Find/Replace to replace all Category "[Asset Account]" with Category "[Savings Goal Account]" (no quotes - use your account names).
  • Jim F.Jim F. Member
    edited September 2016

" ... cut the transactions from the old Savings Goal and paste them into the new Savings Goal?"

Try using Edit | Find/Replace to replace all Category "[Asset Account]" with Category "[Savings Goal Account]" (no quotes - use your account names).

The Merg,

Are you using Q2012? It sounds like an issue translating from your previous version to 2012. This would be a bug.

I have a bunch of Savings Goals listed as Assets in Q2010 H&B and would not want to have to go through the pain of creating new Savings Goal accounts and then having to point all of the transactions to the new account. That would be extremely painful!

Jim F.
  • The MergThe Merg Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Well, I tried the recommendation of using Find/Replace and that did do the trick. I basically only did this with the savings goals that I used for my active checking account. The only issue I have now is that even though I have removed all the money from them, the end date is passed, and I marked them as hidden, I am getting alerts that I am behind on my goals. Also, on the Savings Goal window they are still displayed.

Any thoughts?

- Merg
    edited March 2017
    Change the goal amount to $0.00.

Or delete the Savings Goals you're no longer using. The find/replace should have stripped them of all their transactions, and you have created new savings goals containing the old transactions. So there should be no historical value to the old savings goal accounts.

Backup first.
    edited July 2016

Change the goal amount to $0.00.

Or delete the Savings Goals you're no longer using. The find/replace should have stripped them of all their transactions, and you have created new savings goals containing the old transactions. So there should be no historical value to the old savings goal accounts.

Backup first.

I deleted the incorrect accounts. My issue is now with the new version of the accounts. Even though they have $0 in them and the goal date is passed, I am getting alerts for them.

- Merg
    edited March 2017
    I provided two suggestions, and it appears you only tried one.

Set the goal amount(s) to $0.00.
    edited July 2016

I provided two suggestions, and it appears you only tried one.

Set the goal amount(s) to $0.00.

Doesn't that defeat the goal of seeing what my goals were set for? I don't remember having to do that to my past goals when using Q2011 and Q2010.

- Merg
  • salimnyulasalimnyula Member
    edited July 2016
    salim m.nyula ihave similar