Download for Discover Card into Quicken Windows Stopped AGAIN! Any NEW clues?

CW GrizzCW Grizz Member
edited October 2018 in
QWin 2013R12 Discover Card transactions quit downloading a few days ago. (this seems to happen 2-3 times a year with no rhyme or reason). I don't think anything on the computer has been changed, it just quit. All other FI accounts download fine. I have gone through all of the work arounds, ei deactivate one-step, reactivate, insure it is Discover Card and not DCAC etc. When trying to activate one-step (direct connect) it goes through the paces but then a pop-up screen comes up saying to enter password for the following account, however there is no place to enter a password. Only a check box for "OK". Click it and it brings up a new screen comes up saying "Sorry..... not your fault...... This is where it dies! This is becoming real frustrating. Any additional ideas other than all that have been mentioned for the past umpteen years? Discover says it is a problem with Quicken's server. What say the experts?

Comments

• wistevewisteve Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I recently (about a week ago) started having the same problem with two of my accounts, one from Capital One Bank and the other from Barclays Bank, and have gone through the same "solutions" you have tried, without success.  One Step Update works fine with all of my other accounts.  (It's really not much consolation when you get an error message that says only that we have a problem but "It's not your fault").  Capital One denies that they made any changes on their end, and I have just started working with Quicken Technical Support to see if they can figure out a solution.  If I find out anything useful, I will post it here, and I will keep watching this thread to see if anyone else has found a solution.
  • wistevewisteve Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    You might want to take a look at the solution suggested by this post:  http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/capital-one-credit-cards-one-step-update-not-working.  Resetting the internet options in IE9 to their default settings worked for me immediately.  Hope it works for you too.  Don't know why Quicken Technical Support does not have this information when you call them or chat with them; it was a Quicken Technical Support person who posted this solution!
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What type of download connection type is established for the Discover account and exactly what is the name that Quicken has for that connection.
    Ctrl+Shift+E while in the register.  Use reply at right to respond.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Op says it's Direct Connect (with "Discover Card"), so the problem is most likely with Discover. Just like every other time ... when Discover also would say the problem was not theirs ... until it was proven that it was theirs.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Read it too fast and missed that bit of information.  I agree, since it is direct connect, it has to be Discover's issue since there are no Quicken servers involved in the process.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited August 2016
    I did a successful Direct Download from Discover Card (to Q2013) after reading the initial post in this discussion.
  • CW GrizzCW Grizz Member
    edited July 2016
    OK, First thanks to all who have replied.  I did go to the Capitol One post and looked at IE (I never use IE) and it is IE7.  I did, however reset it as suggested.  Still no go.  When trying to use Direct Connect I keep getting a pop up when trying to do a One-step update that requests a password (only no place to input one)  Then I changed from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect and it worked fine (Downloaded many duplicate transactions however that I have to now go in and remove).  Could this problem be caused by not having IE9 or IE10 loaded? (I don't want too. Ha!)
    edited August 2016
    IE is not involved in Direct Downloads (at least not in the way that it is for Express Web Connect). So resetting IE should not have any effect on Direct Downloads. Meant to mention that before. I can't say whether a newer version than IE7 would be required, but I doubt it.

[One thing about reactivating Discover Card: where it says to enter your account number .... enter your user-id instead.]

I have very few transactions with Discover, but I download from them along with my other accounts (using One Step Update) several times a week. I have not had any problem with Discover downloads in months.

What still seems to be missing from the problem description, is why you were deactivating/reactivating in the first place. What does "quit downloading" mean?
    edited July 2016
    User ID is what I have been entering not the account number.  I had also been using One-Step for all accounts forever.  This same problem has occurred in the past (I think about 10 or so months ago was the last time).  A few days ago when running One-Step update the Discover card account had an error.  I waited a day or so and tried it again.  Still an error.  (Quicken couldn't connect to Discover). Because it said that there was a better way to connect (Direct Connect), I tried it.  Then I continued to get the Pop-up screen (for Password entry) even though the password had been entered.  I went back to try Express Web Connect and still got the no connect results, prompting me to try Direct Connect (it is supposed to be preferred and Discover Card uses it. (maybe, ha!))

The deactivating/reactivating was for the online setup, not the account itself.  In the past (and as per previous forum suggestions from years gone by) that was a solution (Quicken's) to the transaction download glitch that had worked.

"Quit Downloading" means for Discover Card I was not able to download new transactions into Quicken using One-Step.  

I hope this helps and I have answered all info requested.  Thanks
    edited August 2016
    Well you mentioned an error; but what's really needed is the exact error number and error message. Without those, it will be very difficult to diagnose your problem. And it's probably necessary to know which download method (connection method) was in effect when you got the error - though from the wording of your last post, it sounds like you had the error while doing an Express Web Connect download. Most (all?) Express Web Connect error numbers start with "CC-".
    If you're using One Step Update, you should insure that all your passwords are stored in the Quicken Password Vault. If your financial institution password is not in the Quicken password vault, I believe Quicken will ask you for it when you try to do a One Step Update.

Tools > Password Vault.

"Not able to download new transactions" means? Your download did not report any errors, but you did not get any transactions downloaded (and you checked to insure there were transactions available to download)? Your download reported errors (so, naturally, you got no transactions)?

At this point, I think the most important thing is to get Discover setup for Direct Connect downloads. When you can do a Direct Connect download; Direct Connect downloads are much more reliable, and whatever data you get (or don't get) will be the responsibility of Discover.

As I said, I had no problem setting up "Discover Card" for Direct Downloads in Q2013 R12, this evening.
    edited July 2016

Well you mentioned an error; but what's really needed is the exact error number and error message. Without those, it will be very difficult to diagnose your problem. And it's probably necessary to know which download method (connection method) was in effect when you got the error - though from the wording of your last post, it sounds like you had the error while doing an Express Web Connect download. Most (all?) Express Web Connect error numbers start with "CC-".
    If you're using One Step Update, you should insure that all your passwords are stored in the Quicken Password Vault. If your financial institution password is not in the Quicken password vault, I believe Quicken will ask you for it when you try to do a One Step Update.

Tools > Password Vault.

"Not able to download new transactions" means? Your download did not report any errors, but you did not get any transactions downloaded (and you checked to insure there were transactions available to download)? Your download reported errors (so, naturally, you got no transactions)?

At this point, I think the most important thing is to get Discover setup for Direct Connect downloads. When you can do a Direct Connect download; Direct Connect downloads are much more reliable, and whatever data you get (or don't get) will be the responsibility of Discover.

As I said, I had no problem setting up "Discover Card" for Direct Downloads in Q2013 R12, this evening.

NoWay,  Let me try to take this one thing at a time.

First, the one error code I remember (this was with Express Web Connect I think) was CC-501 which I realize is cannot connect to Discover, try again later.

No error for Direct Connect.  It just would never completely setup for One-step.  When trying to set it up for Discover Card all information (log in name, password are filled in)  Click on next and it acts like it is going to connect, but then the Pop-up screen asking for a password comes up.  No place to put in a password.  Click on OK and it goes to a screen that says ( I think), try later or manually enter transactions as well as Sorry...it's not your fault...etc.  

The strange thing is that after this is done, I can go to the account register list and check Discover Card and it has the Online Setup appearing to be activated (at least the option next to it is to "Deactivate".  Below it has the option to "Change the method of connection" which is where I changed it to Express Web Connect ( which has worked finally tonight as I stated in a previous post).

If I don't change it to Express Web Connect from Direct Connect and try to use One-step for the download in the way listed below, there is no error code.

When I use One-Step, I type in each password for each account that I download from.   All accounts are on a One-step page listing the accounts and a space to type in the password for each one, even Discover Card.  Then after clicking on update, a screen (Pop-up) appears stating to put in the password for the following account (Discover Card is listed), however there is not on that screen a place to put in any password.  If I uncheck the Discover Card account from the One-step The pop-up screen still comes up requesting a password for the following accounts, but there are no accounts listed. It is just a blank box.

As for the password vault, I have don't use it and never have since I started using Quicken in the 90's.  the above paragraph explains how I enter the passwords, I think. Ha!

Thanks
    edited July 2016

Tools > Password Vault.

I might add that all of the other accounts (a couple of credit card and a bank account)  I download from are using Direct Connect
    edited July 2016

Tools > Password Vault.

Another addition to the info on the password entry.  Normally on the One-step screen (where you can choose which accounts you want to update and put in passwords when not using the vault) if you type in a wrong password or fail to put  a password in for the account, it will not let you leave that screen when you click on update until you correct the issue (correct or type in the password).  That is the normal operation, but what is happening in my case is the update screen becomes shaded in the background and the pop-up screen requesting password comes up in front, which is not the norm.
    edited August 2016

Tools > Password Vault.

If you have not tried this already, I suggest you try creating a New (test) Quicken file and attempt to setup a Direct Download with Discover Card in that file.

If that doesn't work, I think you need to contact Quicken support.

https://quicken.custhelp.com/app/contact/plvl1/win
    edited July 2016

Tools > Password Vault.

Thanks NoWay, for all of your efforts to try to help me figure this out.
    I will try to set up a new (test) Quicken file (not just a new account in the current Quicken file), and get back with results when I can.
    Again thanks.
    edited August 2016
    Ok- Update: First, I tried a new Quicken Account and setting up Discover Card for One-Step achieving the same results as before.
    Second, called Quicken Support and this is what I was instructed to do (all done first with the test account):
    Go to Discover Card account and determine what was setup for online services which said it was set up for Direct Connect (note: However, it was not working and still giving me the additional pop-up window requesting a password). Once that was determined that it had in Quicken tried to set it up, the next step:

Click "Tools>Online Center
    Click simultaneously Ctrl & F3 continuing to hold them while clicking on "Contact Info"
    A pop-up screen comes up with one or more FI. Select Discover Card and then click on "refresh"
    Then click on "OK"
    Now back at the Online Center screen, click on Update/Send
    From there just followed the prompts and downloaded successfully one years worth of transactions to the test account.

Now deactivate online services for Discover Card on the Quicken TEST file and go to the old file and do the same thing. There were a few quirks on this, due to it was set up for Express Web Connect which had to be deactivated and Quicken had to be closed and opened again to get all to work ok with the Direct Connect.

Again, THANKS TO ALL who assisted with ideas and also to the Quicken Tech Support (even though it is not the most straightforward means of access to them and they are difficult at times for an old guy to understand. Ha!)
    edited July 2016
    CW Grizz said:

Ok- Update: First, I tried a new Quicken Account and setting up Discover Card for One-Step achieving the same results as before.
    Second, called Quicken Support and this is what I was instructed to do (all done first with the test account):
    Go to Discover Card account and determine what was setup for online services which said it was set up for Direct Connect (note: However, it was not working and still giving me the additional pop-up window requesting a password). Once that was determined that it had in Quicken tried to set it up, the next step:

Click "Tools>Online Center
    Click simultaneously Ctrl & F3 continuing to hold them while clicking on "Contact Info"
    A pop-up screen comes up with one or more FI. Select Discover Card and then click on "refresh"
    Then click on "OK"
    Now back at the Online Center screen, click on Update/Send
    From there just followed the prompts and downloaded successfully one years worth of transactions to the test account.

Now deactivate online services for Discover Card on the Quicken TEST file and go to the old file and do the same thing. There were a few quirks on this, due to it was set up for Express Web Connect which had to be deactivated and Quicken had to be closed and opened again to get all to work ok with the Direct Connect.

Again, THANKS TO ALL who assisted with ideas and also to the Quicken Tech Support (even though it is not the most straightforward means of access to them and they are difficult at times for an old guy to understand. Ha!)

A Support Article Reference for this process: http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/GEN82114
    edited July 2016

Tools > Password Vault.

Another update:  Although the above procedure (answer) works, I discovered today that it only works one time and then has to be repeated each time I want to download Discover Card transactions into Quicken.  Something is still not syncing totally.  If no one has a clue on this, I may have to get back with Quicken Support.  I am beginning to think that the latest update (R12) which gave me some problem installing may still have a problem.

Thanks