Quicken Suddenly Running Slow - Can't Reconcile Accounts - Help

hughhugh Member
edited October 2018 in
I was running Quicken 2010 and the other day it suddenly started running at a snail's pace. I use Windows 7 in a virtual 32-bit machine environment under VMWare on a MacBook Pro and have done this for the past year with no problems. When I go to reconcile an account, I click on an item to clear it and then go to the next and it wont let me clear any other items. After about 60 seconds, it throws itself back to the account register. I completely uninstalled Quicken 2010 and reinstalled it. Same problem. I uninstalled some unrelated programs. Same problem. I closed every program running on my machine. Same problem. I expanded the virtual machine's hard disk and RAM memory. Same problem. I went out and bought Quicken 2013. Same problem.

I also run Quickbooks Pro on the virtual machine and it seems unaffected.

As a Quickbooks user since 1999, I am about to exercise the "Money Back in 90 days" policy on Quicken 2013 and go to an alternative for my personal financial software, because this is putting me in a situation where I cannot effectively manage my finances. I am really hoping that there is a fix for this. Looking around at other questions, it appears this is a common problem. Is it possible that a Windows 7 update caused this? Is Intuit working in a fix? Nothing else has really changed.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    That is a 60 day return policy for Quicken, not 90.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• OleSVMOleSVM Member
    edited February 2017
    Also Q2010 is no longer supported.  It was sunsetted April 30, 2013.

It is highly doubtful that Quicken will issue any more updates/patches for this version.

Another thing that you might try is to make a copy of your Quicken file and validate it.  If issues are found and repaired try opening the repaired copy and see if the issue persists.  If not this will be your new file.

Peace

Steve
  • hughhugh Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Steve.   Do i make a copy by saving it as a new file?  or copying to another folder?  How does one "validate" the Quicken file?
  • hughhugh Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks.  Just bought 2013 yesterday.   I hope the Intuit people read these comments because they are about to lose a long time customer.
    edited October 2018
    Use File -> File Operations -> Copy

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
  • OleSVMOleSVM Member
    edited February 2017
    Hugh,

Another thing that comes to mind -

Splasher showed you how to make a copy of your file.  It does not really matter if it is in another folder.  But I would do that.  I have used a folder called Validate for this.  

Now to do the validate it is very similar to the copy:     File -> File Operations -> Validate and repair

The first thing to remember is that the validate should be performed on the copied file rather than your original file.  This preserves your file in the event something bad happens.

Moreover it is a good idea to validate your current file before you convert it to your new Q2013.  After successful validation and repair use this file to convert to Q2013.

Peace

Steve
    edited October 2018
    One more thing to do before migrating if you have a password on your data file is to make sure it is 14 or less characters in length.  15 or more will not convert correctly.

• hughhugh Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Steve.  I had already converted to 2013.  But I did do the validate.   Here are the results:
    QDF: Validating your data. No errors.
    QEL: No read errors.
    QEL:  All internal consistency checks passed.

After this I was able to reconcile a checking account, but it still takes something like 30 seconds to record one transaction.   

Improvement, but still very sluggish.   Any more suggestions?   

Thanks,

Hugh
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Please verify that the Quicken data file is in a folder on the C: drive of the Windows virtual machine. Storing the file in a Shared Folder on the Mac can cause performance issues.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • hughhugh Member
    edited July 2016
    That worked!   It looks like I am back in business.   Thanks to all for your help.
  • OleSVMOleSVM Member
    edited February 2017
    hugh

Glad you are back in business.

Also thanks for letting us know what worked.

Peace

Steve