"Activity.QIF couldn't be downloaded" message on Chase page

bdarmstrongbdarmstrong Member
edited October 2018 in
After downloading from Chase to Quicken for nearly 10 years, I am suddenly getting a "Activity.QIF couldn't be downloaded" message on Chase page when dowloading information. When in Quicken 2008 and trying to do one-step I get a "We encountered and error (It's not your fault)" message. I've tried everything! Using IE 9 and Quicken 2011 R 8 (20.1.8.6)

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Download capability in Quicken 2008 was discontinued over two years ago. So, trying to do a One Step Update should fail.
    Downloading and importing a .QIF file would only be possible if you have been modifying the file for most account types. See this thread: Edit QIF -manually
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• bdarmstrongbdarmstrong Member
    edited July 2016
    splasher said:

Download capability in Quicken 2008 was discontinued over two years ago. So, trying to do a One Step Update should fail.
    Downloading and importing a .QIF file would only be possible if you have been modifying the file for most account types. See this thread: Edit QIF -manually

My apologies.  I am using Quicken 2011 not Quicken 2008 as mentioned.
    edited October 2018
    What type of download connection is established for this account (Direct Connect or Express Web Connect)?  Go to the register, do Ctrl+Shift+E to get to the Account Detail screen, look on the Online Services tab.  Use reply at right to respond.

edited July 2016
    I may mix up the terminology but have tried both.   Current setting is set to manual.  When I select "Activate One step" and then type in my User/Password I get a screen that asks me to either Add, Link or Ignore (I deleted the account in my remediation attempts).  I select "add", it attempts to connect and fails and I get a message that says, "Sorry, we encountered an Error (It's not your fault) and gives the Chase help number.  I called and they were unable to help.  I get a similar message when I log into my Chase account (I think this is Direct Connect) and try to download from there.
    edited October 2018
    See this article for a good description of the different connection types: http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/bank-download-issues/how-quicken-connects-to-your-bank/GEN83013.html
    Chase can be done with a Direct Connect download connection for FREE.  Their website says differently, but it is free, but you have to activate on their website.  Direct Connect is the preferred connection type if it is free.

edited July 2016
    Tried all connection types, understand Chase can be done for FREE (have done it for almost 10 years), have activated on their website and still get error message which has just started within the past few weeks.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What happens when you create a New (test) Quicken file and setup just the Chase account for Direct Connect downloading in that file?

[You can't activate Direct Connect downloads from the financial institution's web site; that process would be "Web Connect". And you often can't download using Web Connect into a Quicken account setup for Direct Connect.]
    edited July 2016
    I hadn't considered doing that and was optimistic about the idea but get the exact same error.  In order to be more descriptive, I get a pop up window that says Add Credit Card Account, Chase, Chase.com, Sorry-We've encountered and error and its not your fault, Quicken is having trouble connecting to Chase, and finally some options about trying later or manually entering.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There is an activation setting you have to make on the Chase website in order to download transactions, at least there is for credit cards.

When you step through the Activate for One Step Update, if you don't use Advanced Setup and specify connection type, you are likely getting Express Webconnect.

Look for the Advanced Setup link at the bottom of the first activate screen. The advanced setup will enable you to choose Direct Connect.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • BillArfBillArf Unconfirmed
    edited July 2016
    bdarmstrong...  

Very possible that the issue that came up out of no where occurred because Chase was working on their server.   You thought something was wrong and then you started fooling with your Quicken set-up and....  This sound right?  8-)  When a guy/gal here reports and says troubles just started today...I tell them to touch -nothing- in Quicken and to try One Step Update again in a day or so.  I do this especially on the weekends when Chase and others are tweaking their servers, etc. which may be the reason for error on our end..

Anyway,  you could at this point do a Quicken manual backup and keep it secured somewhere.  Now,  do a Quicken RESTORE with a Quicken back-up made at a fairly recent point in time. Made at a time that you know for sure Quicken 2011 was working aok, as you wanted, as it had been doing all along..  IF, if Chase's end is not presently the issue doing this may very well get you up and running again. Try this and let us know!!

Also, ---only if the restore does not get you going---, call Chase Online Banking 1-877-242-7372 and ask the tech to verify that in FACT, your accounts are activated for Direct Connect..  IF Direct connect is in fact activated your next step would be to go to Quicken and deactivate ALL ,all your Chase accounts, then, -close Quicken- and then only after restarting Quicken and work at setting up your Chase CHECKING with Direct Connect.  Get the checking account setup with Direct Connect and the other Chase accounts will fall right into Direct Connect
    edited July 2016
    Bluntness on my part:

Also .... Chase started FREE, Direct Connect for non-commercial accounts just a tad over a year ago.  Prior to that Chase was charging $9.95 per month for Direct Connect in regard to accounts like yours.  SO, your statement bdarmstrong ---> "Tried all connection types, understand Chase can be done for FREE (have done it for almost 10 years), have activated on their website and still get error message which has just started within the past few weeks."  <---    makes me believe that you may in fact be clueless in regard to the connectivity you have or are using..  You probably were not setup with direct Connect all along...      You need to know connectivity info and to get your facts / terminology straight if you expect users here to point you properly..  8-)
    edited July 2016
    Thank you for the opportunity to clarify.  It seems I have been using "Webconnect".  Sorry to have caused any angst.   I sincerely appreciate BillArf's attempt at helping me however your tone assumes I am an idiot and therefore no longer require your help.  This  former Certified Quickbooks Adviser and current IT Director of a $5 billion international company will figure it out on my own without your condensing comments.  Sorry to have asked for the help.
    edited July 2016
    You are welcome!.....  and yes I did/do believe you are let's say clueless in regard to your current dilemma to include the connectivity you are using. By the way, the answer's you were provided in this thread will be all you need to correct your issue. Recommend you go with Direct Connect...