Quicken 2013 not responding and running slow

TimTim Member
edited October 2018 in
I'm running Quicken 2013 Rental Property Manager R12 with Windows 7. About 5 days ago Quicken started "not responding" and running extremely slow. Prior to that everything ran well. I do not remember an update occurring. I'm a long-time Quicken user (10+ years) and I"m very familiar with how it works. I've never seen anything like this before. I can tollerate this for a while, but not for long.

This is what I've done so far:
1.) Validated and repaired my file. No errors in data or file and no improvement in performance.
2.) Uninstalled and re-installed Quicken. No improvement in performance.

I'm not sure what else I can do at this point and I'm looking for direction.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There is also the "super validate"   hold down Ctrl+Shift when you click on Validate and Repair on the File menu.
    Have you done a cold boot of the computer?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JimWynnJimWynn Member
    edited July 2016
    Try disabling Use Pop-up Registers under Preferences/Registers
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Also try
    1) Disabling the Edit -> Preferences -> Setup -> Turn on Animation.
    2) A backup of your data file from before when the problem started.
  • ClaytonKingClaytonKing Member
    edited April 2017
    I have the same problem. Current 2013 version. Intel 7 with 7GB ram. Super verified file. I get the windows circle (i.e., hour glass) for a full 10 seconds after I accept each downloaded transaction. I also have NO renaming rules, yet transactions are constantly renamed. Tech support, both online and over the phone were essentially arrogant, telling me I was too impatient and that they didn't understand why I wouldn't want my transactions renamed... This is really frustrating; the application is almost unusable because of it.

I've searched online in every corner of the web I can find, and this seems to be a pervasive problem and multiple iterations of the solution don't seem to be much help in fixing the problem.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I read every post in this Community and the Quicken Newsgroup (the only 2 reliable sources of Quicken info I know), and I can tell you that your performance problem isn't even close to being pervasive.

And I would wager that the primary cause of the problem will be found on your pc: corrupted data (not all of which can be fixed by Validate), and/or a great quantity of investment data are two of the likely suspects.

It's certainly possible that Quicken is contributing to the situation, but given the nature of the problem and the dearth of evidence that would permit it to be reproduced; I think there's no reasonable likelihood it can be addressed. And since Q2013 is very unlikely to get any more updates, I wouldn't count on any "fix" from Intuit for Q2013 (or ever, if it can't be demonstrated that the problem lies in Quicken code).
    edited April 2017
    Curious that Quicken 2012 exhibited no problems whatsoever. Equally curious that Quicken 2013 is the only application on my system, including some traditional memory/resource hogs, that behaves this way. And curious still, that transactions would be renamed when I deleted every single renaming rule. I have no investment data and have never tracked my portfolio in Quicken.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    At its heart Quicken is a database.  And for Quicken to support different things each year the database format is tweaked every year (the very reason that an old version of Quicken can't read a newer version's data file).

How much and what changes in that database varies each year.  To complicate this a conversion has to be made from the old format to the new format.  On top of that not everything in access an database is "fast" so they have to trade one resource for another.  As in you might plan on not having too many categories so that you can do a certain kind of search through those categories, which might result in a nice search feature of 95% of your customers, and for 5% a terribly slow search (because they have thousands of categories).

So from what I have seen I look at Quicken 2013 and they changed a lot more in the database this year then they normally do.
    This can lead to more then the normal share of conversion problems (it did, but most were found in beta).
    This can also lead to bring to the front data corruption problems that were already in your data file, but were not "causing problems" just because of how the data was being used.

So in truth "data corruption", could have been in the old data file, it could have been introduced during the conversion, or even after.

Or in the case of performance problems there may not be any "data corruption" at all.  It might be that they changed the way they did things and for some people's data that results in bad performance.

In this category are certainly the performance of category look up.  They went to an incremental search that is certainly proven to slow down data entry for people that have thousands of categories.

Also the "animate" option has slowed some people down.  This is not "I have a powerful graphics card" issue, in fact in some cases just the opposite.  It seems to come up on people's machines that have very powerful graphics cards.  There is just some kind of driver/GUI interaction that slows everything down.  Since all the "animate" does is make the OSU circles turn, it is not much of a lose if you have to turn this off.

The last one in the investment/securities and is basically based on the fact that Quicken was never really designed for lots of securities/investment transactions. Unlike a regular transaction, an investment transaction implies a lot of calculations for keeping track of the lots and and such.  Quicken is certainly not for active traders and the best thing people can do is keep a given account to a smaller amount of securities/transactions.  Quicken doesn't read data until it needs it, so it is possible to move the current securities to a new account and just not access the old account with a lot of old securities/transactions on a daily basis.
    edited April 2017
    I'm not bashing Quicken per se. I was in software development for 18 years and understand the development cycle. My frustration comes from a basically simple installation re: Quicken. I've toggled every checkbox and setting in the application to reduce overhead. My hard drives are optimized, my system is tweaked. I have fewer than 100 categories. I routinely back up and, occasionally, restore from a backup to streamline the file. I simply don't think it's reasonable to wait for (literally) 10 seconds after hitting enter when choosing a category for downloaded transactions. The previous version was immediate.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well something else is clearly going on with your data/Quicken 2013.  What you describe is not reasonable, and shouldn't be happening, which of course without knowing the exact cause we jump on "corrupted data", which like I said is really most people's (Intuit's) answer to "unexplained behavior with your data that doesn't have with most other people's data".  Which BTW in my book is not necessarily "corrupted data".

I would try testing with reduced data like in a new data file with just one account and see if it is in fact the data or Quicken itself.

And here is a thought given that you have no investment accounts it might work, at least for a general test, and maybe even a solution.
    Use the QXF export/import to create a new test data file.

Export the QXF file (File -> File Export -> Quicken Transfer Format) from your data file.  In a new data file import your QXF file.
    There are some bugs/problems to be aware of.
    1) If you try to deleted all the categories out of the new data file so they will not be there before the import of the QXF, Quicken will crash.  Safest bet is to just remove most of them, but not all and/or clean up categories after the import.
    2) In Quicken 2013 some of the sub categories get messed up and need to be fixed.
    3) Attachments and scheduled transactions will not be transferred.

With this maybe at least you can see if it really is your transactions per say or "data corruption" or the Quicken program itself.
  • edited July 2016

Let's try this:

1. Close Quicken.
    2. Go to Tools Menu in Internet Explorer
    3. Then Internet Options
    4. Then Delete Files
    5. Then delete cookies and then click on clear history.
    6. Open Quicken.
    7. Go to Tools>>One step update>>Uncheck all the boxes and click on Update Now.
    8. File>>File Operations>>>Validate and Repair. Check all the options. (Validate file, Rebuild investing lots, Reset All Quicken printer.....). Do not check the option 'Delete investing price history. Click Ok.
    9. Restart Quicken.
  • edited July 2016

Let's try this:

1. Close Quicken.
    2. Go to Tools Menu in Internet Explorer
    3. Then Internet Options
    4. Then Delete Files
    5. Then delete cookies and then click on clear history.
    6. Open Quicken.
    7. Go to Tools>>One step update>>Uncheck all the boxes and click on Update Now.
    8. File>>File Operations>>>Validate and Repair. Check all the options. (Validate file, Rebuild investing lots, Reset All Quicken printer.....). Do not check the option 'Delete investing price history. Click Ok.
    9. Restart Quicken.
  • tguerinotguerino Member
    edited July 2016
    This exact problem just affected my computer also.  Everything was running fine.  Then out of the blue this problem shows up.  Any known fix?  Any help appreciated.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tgureino, what exact problem would that be? What Quicken year version and operating system? How long were you using that version before the issue started? Did you apply updates around the time the trouble started?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • DanielDaniel Member
    edited July 2016
    I have had Quicken 2013 since April this year. Note: from the beginning it has been frustrating. Now, just a week ago or so every time I make an entry in my check register it takes 10 seconds to respond. This is a new computer. I do not trade. I have minimal categories (even deleted a lot of older ones). Upgraded from 2010 because Quicken required it. Everything I have read is total frustration for a whole lot of users. Quicken needs to fix something - or most of us will have to find an alternative. Anyone know of one?
  • DanielDaniel Member
    edited July 2016
    And, by the way, Quicken Super Users, stop patronizing the less "Smart" users and just fix the stupid program. We are not fools.
    edited April 2017
    I've been looking and haven't found something I can easily convert to. But trust me, if I find an alternative, I'll change. The product is essentially unusable at this point, and what should take literally a few seconds, takes 10 or more minutes.
    edited April 2017
    Actually, that's what makes it so bad. A "super user" presumably uses every bell and whistle, and every feature Quicken offers. I'm downloading transactions from checking and credit card accounts and just want to categorize them. Shouldn't be rocket science.
  • DanielDaniel Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for replying so quickly. Maybe others can make this post go viral and get Quicken to do something about it.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is a user to user forum, we (The volunteers that answer these questions) don't want useless "viral" posts.
    This site is for users to provide answers and workarounds to people's problems.

If you want to send feedback to Intuit do it here:
    http://getsatisfaction.com/quicken