Dual Partitition Windows 8 Quicken 2011 H/B

jkg42jkg42 Member
edited October 2018 in
I just bought a computer that uses Windows 8. The manufacturer set it up with the programs on a C drive, and the data on a D drive. I cannot get Quicken 2011 Home and Business to open data files that are stored on the D drive. It works fine if the data files are on the C drive, but that isn't what I want. I have tried copying the files and using the restore function; neither seem to work.

Comments

• BillArfBillArf Unconfirmed
    edited August 2016
    jgraf ......Plain and simple, place and keep your working Quicken data file on your C drive! The recommended location for the working "live" Quicken data file is on C.

You do say "but that isn't what I want" ............. I'm curious why you would feel that the data file needed to be on D?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The Quicken program HAS to be installed on the C: drive.
    Exactly how are you trying to open the files on D:?
    Once you have moved them to a folder on D:, did you then do a File->Open Quicken File from within Quicken?
    Having done that once, what happens the next time you start Quicken using the program icon (not a shortcut to the data file)?
    User reply at right to respond.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dbAnalystdbAnalyst Member
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

jgraf ......Plain and simple, place and keep your working Quicken data file on your C drive! The recommended location for the working "live" Quicken data file is on C.

You do say "but that isn't what I want" ............. I'm curious why you would feel that the data file needed to be on D?

I concur with splasher.  I've run for 20+ years with my Q program on C: and the data on D: ... both of which are partitions of the same physical hard drive.
    db
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

No where did I mention that it was mandatory to have the working "live" Quicken data file on C.  The recommended location placement for that file is on C but indeed it can be on say, D, E, etc..  I was curious why the OP was so pressed to have the file on D.  Reality is, many Quicken user's are not real computer savvy so they are better off letting Quicken just do a routine install and that they not place the working data file in a different location.  Prime example of why I say this is this OP's post/issue... as it is real obvious by his post that he is kinda clueless on the matter.  He would be better off with lets call it a plain vanilla install. Just so much easier for most user's.
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

You never used the word mandatory, agreed.  But the statement "Plain and simple, place and keep your working Quicken data file on your C drive!" comes close enough.  
    And the very simple reason for doing so is so that I can regularly do a backup to CD of ALL my program data without having to pick and choose among multiple directories.  I can just backup the entire partition.
    db
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

Well, my answer to the OP, was just that...  "Plain and simple, place and keep your working Quicken data file on your C drive!"  Had he replied with a valid reason why he wanted to place the data file on D, then I undoubtedly (based on whether he could handle the tech end) would have given him direction but with some caveats, etc..  Again, for the not so computer savvy user (probably the majority)  sometimes the best bet is to lets say leave things alone.  We see many posts on this forum where a user has a hardware failure, etc., etc. and are clueless where their Quicken data file had resided/resides, it's extension, etc..  Anyway, as for me my first inclination is to direct the Quicken novice with this  -> "Plain and simple, place and keep your working Quicken data file on your C drive!."   Of course, the OP will get thoughts/ideas from other user's here also.  In closing, if a user has to come to a forum like this and ask such a basic / simple question.. for such simple direction...., then he/she might be better served just leaving the install plain vanilla.  Oh, as for why YOU keep data on D... well for you, it is your prerogative. For me to backup to a CD or DVD is not something I would do.  I backup to a external hard drive and also to my ftp site daily... Of course, I also do many daily manual back-ups to thumb drives.  To each his own.
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

He doesn't need a valid reason ... and doesn't need to provide it.  It's a perfectly valid configuration.  And I also do daily backups of Q to a USB drive.  The weekly backups to CD are additional insurance for ALL my data. Remember the phrase that's oft cited here "You can never have too many backups".
    db
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

I hear ya.............   Again, was just trying to make the point that I keep MY answers very basic.  I will often gauge my answer to what I think a user's tech savvy is.  8-)   Example, I have a live Quicken data file on a network, (data back to 83, I believe) I also change financial institution pngs and html's, etc. that they brand into Quicken.  I fool with Quicken.ini, wpr and more..  I do not however provide the how to's of this stuff to most user's here.  It is just too much for them to lets say, deal with. I give basic plain vanilla answers usually.  Again, plain and simple is just best for most..  less apt for the novice user to get into trouble and easier for others to troubleshoot / provide assist when they get an issue.  Anyway, my thoughts, my way of answering.  To each his own...
  • jkg42jkg42 Member
    edited August 2016
    I have tried using a file open from within quicken. What happens the next time, and each time thereafter, is that the Welcome page opens and asks me if I want to use an existing file or create a new one, etc. I can't seem to get rid of the Welcome page.
  • jkg42jkg42 Member
    edited August 2016
    BillArf said:

Should I forever remain "clueless" or try harder to understand what is happening? Your response was not very helpful.
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

jgraf ...........  You may very well be far more computer and or Quicken savvy then I.  I was just generalizing in my comments here. Would very much like to hear more from you and perhaps learn from you or offer you some insight.  Not helpful to you so far it seems but would like to be.

By the way, splasher gave you more in depth direction that you should consider.
  • jkg42jkg42 Member
    edited August 2016
    BillArf said:

The reason I want to have the data on the D: drive is I like to be able to back-up the entire drive and capture all my data at once, without the complications of multiple paths
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Did you happen to upgrade to Q 2011 from a prior version?
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

Valid reason, jgraf..   I might mention that to me Quicken manual back-ups are where my focus lies. My feeling is manual backups (that I archive) are more important then say Quicken automatic backups.  Anyway, did splasher's answer get you your desired result? You are also keeping Quicken manual back-up's correct?
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

jgraf .........  In a nutshell, all you have to do is take your single (1) working Quicken 2011 data file (has extension .QDF) and place it in the folder you desire for it to reside on your D drive.  AFTER you do this, open Quicken 2011 and point it to that data file on D.  After you do this, Quicken will open up/use that data file on D each time you open Quicken.
  • jkg42jkg42 Member
    edited August 2016
    BillArf said:

I also am concerned mainly with manual backups. I haven't heard back from splasher, after my latest message. I didn't describe my problem very well the first time. The problem is that I get the Welcome page each time I try to open Quicken directly to my data.The Welcome page then forces me to give Quicken the path, so it takes longer. I can't get rid of the Welcome page.
  • jkg42jkg42 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yes I did upgrade to Q2011 from an earlier version
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

Try just clicking on the Q program icon, instead of the data icon.  Q will remember, and open, the last data file that you used.
    db
    edited July 2016
    jgraf... Is your data file name more then 8 characters? Quicken does not like overly long .qdf file names. Shorten the data file name to a small number of characters, 8 or less. Use Windows File Explorer to rename your Quicken data file, being careful not to mess with the file type (QDF). Now, after this with that data file in a folder on D, Open Quicken and point it to the data file. Hopefully, this will do the trick.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just recently?  Then it might be trying to keep opening the old version file and not the the new converted one.
    edited July 2016
    Using the program icon would resolve that.
    db
  • jkg42jkg42 Member
    edited August 2016
    I changed the data file name to a short one, and used the program icon to open the file - it worked! Thanks everyone for the help.
  • jkg42jkg42 Member
    edited August 2016
    BillArf said:

I changed the data file name to a short one, and used the program icon to open the file - it worked! Thanks everyone for the help.
    edited July 2016
    jgraf.......  Another way to go... When you open Quicken 2011 and you see that Welcome screen, work through it, pointing Quicken 2011 to a recent Quicken manual backup you have made.  Quicken 2011 will open that backup and ask you where you want the data file to be placed/to reside.  You will point it to the folder on D that you wish it to reside in.  After this Quicken will open and use that data file on d.
    edited July 2016
    Great, jgraf ..........  I figured that if you were using a long file name that this may very well be causing the issue.   8-)