One Step Update Settings

Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22 in
Why does Quicken continue to check Investing.Quicken.com and Update my portfolio on Investing.Quicken.com in One Step Update Settings even though I have unchecked these settings repeatedly over the years?

This issue has been going on for decades, has been brought up in this forum repeatedly for years and has never been fixed, what is the problem?
Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10

Comments

• q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Do you operate with multiple files?  

My recollection was that Quicken tended to apply one set of setting and somehow carry those over to each file, but not absolutely.  That is, if you worked in File1 and reset the OSU checkmarks, went to File2 and then back to File1, the File2 checkmarks would be re-applied to File1.  I never fully identified the pattern but it seemed something like that.  Somehow the File1 settings didn't get processed by File2 but the File2 settings (that you didn't look at or change) got back to File1.  And it got further complicated if you upgraded from one year to another which too often resets some of those checks.  Of course, File2 could also be a backup from File1 that you just needed to check.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    For me I have noticed that it has stayed put for me for quite a long time.  Tamara said part of the problem is that updating of the financial information that happens from time to time, can turn it on too.  But like I said I haven't seen it in a while.

But in fact I don't worry about it.  I set the settings for it to one old closed account,  with symbols only, so if it turns on, it is no biggy for me.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    I only work with one data file and it does stay unchecked for quite a while, but then suddenly it's checked again and I have to fix it.  Of course it's not a big deal, just annoying that this persistent, well known issue can remain for so many years.

I don't have any accounts checked, so nothing is sent.

Maybe something has changed, because in the past it would raise an error, which is probably why it bothers me, but now it doesn't.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I went to QPW's method a ways back on this and just gave up trying to keep it unchecked.
    I've been plagued by the "only show if error" is not working correctly.  I've done a QCleanUI and a re-install to no help.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited January 22
    Thanks for all your comments.
  • dmarks2061dmarks2061 Member
    edited July 2016
    I was horrified to get a report on my spending, balances and categories not from Quicken but from Quicken.com. Why are you collecting this private personal information? I'm ready to throw Quicken out! If you're collecting that information who else has access to it? I don't want you collecting information to just hand over to the federal government, like every other wimpy organization. NOBODY ELSE HAS THE RIGHT TO VIEW MY PERSONAL INFORMATION!!!
    edited January 22
    It sounds like you are using the mobile app, which emails you a weekly financial summary by default.  When you use the mobile app, transactions for the accounts you specified when you set it up are stored on Intuit's servers or in the Cloud as they say.  This is the only way the app can provide you with your financial data on your mobile devices.

You may want to review their privacy policy, but I doubt it is being given to the government.  If you do not trust Intuit you can stop using the app.
  • dmarks2061dmarks2061 Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for the comment Rich. I came to the same conclusion and shortly after posting the comment the app was off the iPad! It was the only new activity that accounted for it, but the value of it doesn't outweigh my concerns about an overly invasive NSA and who knows what else that think they have the right to know everything about the citizens of a supposedly free country. Free it ain't, not no more! (I mourn the death of freedom . . .)
    edited January 22
    I totally understand your concerns, especially with the recent revelations brought to public attention by Edward Snowden about the NSA.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if how the mobile app works upsets you, you better look at this article of how the various connect methods work.
    I'm betting that at least one of your accounts is using Express Web Connect, which works in the same manner as the mobile app.
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/bank-download-issues/how-quicken-connects-to-your-bank/GEN83013.html

BTW on a personal level for the NSA and companies giving in to the government and such.  I personally figure I have to live with this, as in there really isn't any privacy/freedom of this kind any more.  People wanted the benefits and seldom cared about the negatives.  If the companies have "caved in" and given the NSA ways to monitor your activity, what makes you think the financial institution haven't?