keyboard shortcuts do not work or Quicken Menu bar always gets "focus"

john wenzeljohn wenzel Member
edited February 2018 in

I have seen several posts that "keyboard shortcuts not working" was an issue and that it has been fixed or that the problem could not be reproduced. It does not work for me on Quick Premier 2014 R3 (23.1.3.15).

Alt-tabbing to a different application and then Alt-tabbing back to Quicken always puts the focus on the menu tool bar. Try Alt-tabbing from this browser screen to Quicken, type "anything" into a memo on a register, alt-tab back here, alt-tab back to Quicken and you will see that you are no longer in the memo field even though it is highlighted or "selected" on the screen. If you hit the "tab“ key you will see that the menu bar has focus.

Try this...enter bad data like "11/32/2014" in the date field. A message will popup saying bad data. Then when you click "OK" to clear the message and try to type in the date field to fix the data you find once again that you are in the Quicken menu bar.

Is Quicken working on a fix for this or do you assume that it is not an issue?

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. All other applications handle keyboard activity correctly.

Comments

• Ted HeiseTed Heise Member
    edited August 2016
    Can Intuit respond, please?  This bug is VERY annoying.
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This is not a Quicken support site, nor is it a way to contact Intuit.

To contact support, go to: https://quicken.custhelp.com/app/contact/plvl1/win

To register complaints, offer suggestions, or report bugs, go to: https://getsatisfaction.com/Quicken

FYI: I believe that Intuit is already aware of this problem; but they rarely ever comment on what they are currently doing or on future plans.
  • plusafdotcomplusafdotcom Member
    edited July 2016
    Then the purpose of this page is what, again?  Asking questions that only other users or superusers can answer?
  • fanfarefanfare Member
    edited November 2016
    That's about the size of it.
    edited July 2016
    Then Intuit is missing a great opportunity....  I once "did duty" in a "Response Center" where we answered sales reps' questions in order to facilitate sales.  Unfortunately, it was set up open-loop, with little or no feedback to the Product Line managers who created the products (and problems) the sales folks dealt with... ref:  http://www.plusaf.com/letters/hp/callcenter.htm .  Just my opinion, of course, and I've made lots of suggestions subsequently ignored or rejected by people at that company, Intuit and many others...  but some folks do like my comments.   Ciao!
    edited August 2016
    So this is not a full answer, but a kludge that may be helpful for some.

I suspect that most of those who are frustrated with this loss of focus problem primarily use the keyboard over a mouse. Ctrl-N will not return focus to the register, but Ctrl-D will. You just have to be careful to respond "No" so the item under the cursor is not deleted--once done, the focus is back in the register.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    plusaf, the GetSat site NoWayJose included in his comments is the Quicken feedback site and it is monitored by Intuit employees. You will likely not get a response from Intuit to your posts there unless they need more info from you regarding the issue or suggestion you posted. But they do read all the posts. Also, posts garnering the most votes are more likely to be fixed (for problems) or implemented (for suggestions).

This site is a user-to-user-based support site. So it is limited to pretty much what your fellow Quicken users can answer. Quicken Tamara does read posts and respond pretty frequently. I believe she has found this a great way to get heads up on issues that are likely to affect many users and collect info on workarounds that can be used in facilitating fixes.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited August 2016
    Okay, I found a similar complaint on getsatisfaction.com, and added my input there too.
  • fanfarefanfare Member
    edited November 2016
    The way to retrograde is to get a refund on your 2014 purchase and get 2013 on Ebay.
    edited July 2016
    Thanks!