What is the problem with QW2013 not running the Home Inventory on Windows 8.1?

edited January 25 in

Loaded Quicken 2013 on Windows 8.1 on new computer.

Worked fine on Windows 7 with version 2013.

When I tried to get the detail, it states, "Quicken Home Inventory has stopped working".

I cannot access any of the inventory as of this time. What is the problem?

Is anyone at Quicken aware of this problem? CB

[Subject edited to refer to Q2013 instead of Q2014.]

Comments

• ronhall42ronhall42 Member
    edited December 2016
    Did you re-activate QHI by going to Windows and executing the QuickenHomeInventory application?
  • Howard RoarkHoward Roark Member
    edited August 2016
    Your post refers to Q2013 and Q2014. Which one are you using?
  • edited July 2016
    I am using 2013.  Used on former computer OS Windows 7 Ultimate with no problem.  Bought new computer with Windows 8.1.  When I loaded Quicken, found that the inventory did not work anymore.  Just states Quicken not running.  I did buy Q2014 but decided not to load as yet until I find out more of why this doesn't work anymore.  Just doesn't open the detail.
    Sorry for confusion but new to this and put in wrong version.
    edited August 2016
    See RonHall's question above.
  • edited July 2016
    I did what I have always done when re-loading software to a new computer.  I went from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 then 8.1 - New computer.  Put in Q2013 ...everything went fine except for being able to access the Detail on the Inventory.  The inventory is included in this version of Quicken 2013 and has always worked. This version worked just fine on Windows 7.  I shouldn't have to upgrade to 2014 just because I bought a new computer running Windows 8.1.  Can't see why Quicken doesn't have any answers...is it software on Quicken or is it Windows 8.1.  My Home Inventory is used all the time and luckily I did run a copy of everything but that is beside the point.  I also bought a new Q2014 but have not loaded it as feel that something is wrong.  Your help would be appreciated.  If I had known the glitches, I would have remained with Windows 7.
    edited December 2016
    Again did you execute QuickenHomeInventory.exe? If not, then do.
  • edited July 2016
    That has been done.  No success.  There is something creating a WordPerfect 6 file in this software. In the Quicken files it shows the icon for WordPerfect!  We deleted but it returns after it gives one entry to the detail one time...then it gives the error message from then on and the file showing the WP icon re-appears!   I had copied the QHI from my laptop running OS 7  which works perfectly,and it still did this.   I have found several files with the  WordPerfect 6 icon on them in my Quicken file under Programs.  I loaded the Q2013 application again...still there.   I only thing I can think to do is remove Q2013 and install Q2014 and restore the data files to it.  I have never seen this before and don't know where this comes from!  Thanks for your help in this....
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    Do you have Word Perfect on your computer?
    Is it possible to post a screen shot of the icons?
    Have you tried to make QuickenHomeInventory.exe compatible with Windows XP?
    Quicken Windows Premier 2019
    Windows 10 Pro 1809
    edited December 2016
    Sure beats me! But, just curious; is WP on your laptop? If not, then the problem on the desktop almost has to be due to the WP installation (or residuals)  I would try to uninstall WP just to see it that solves the problem and then decide which is more important to you, WP or QHI.
    edited August 2016
    What is the file extension of the file that has a Word Perfect icon?
    Have you checked to see what Windows application is assigned to process files with that extension?
    edited August 2016
    I meant to add: it should not matter that the file has a Word Perfect icon; by itself, that should not prevent Quicken (or Home Inventory) from opening the file. It would just prevent you from starting Home Inventory by double-clicking on that file - Windows would try to run Word Perfect instead.