Chase accounts fail to update properly.

mdperkinsmdperkins Member
edited April 2018 in
The update appears to run OK and doesn't produce any errors.  When you review the summary, something very odd appears:

No new transactions downloaded
No transactions to review.
Online Balance $0.00 as of 6/29/2016

Obviously the date above is incorrect.  All the other accounts display the correct dates in the update summary.

See attached screenshots.imageimage

Comments

• dranobobdranobob Member
    edited February 2017
    Lets see if this is Quicken side issue or Chase side. You can see what came from your bank in the OFX log.  Go to Help -> Log Files -> OFX log.  Scroll to the bottom and then back up to find something like <ORG>Chase  then look for <DTSERVER> What 8 digit date is shown here?
  • BillArfBillArf Unconfirmed
    edited August 2016
    When it comes to CHASE accounts, probably the best first step in troubleshooting a person's Chase related issue on this forum is to ask the user if in fact he/she has set-up ALL their Chase accounts with Chase FREE Direct Connect. Reality is most One Step Update problems are seen when the user is using connectivity other the Direct Connect. SO, with that said I ask mdperkins are your Chase accounts set up with free Chase Direct Connect? If not your your first step in fixing your issue is to contact Chase and activate Chase Free Direct Connect. After getting the Direct Connect activated and all Chase accounts set-up in Quicken with Chase Direct Connect then d your One Step Updates and see if all is well... If not well, then look for fixes at that point.

SOoooo.... Without any hesitation, I recommend you set-up with Chase Direct Connect. Chase's Direct Connect is free for personal accounts and $9.95 per month for commercial accounts.

Quicken plays very well with Chase Direct Connect. Use Direct Connect and very rarely will you have any issues. If you are a Chase client you would be very foolish not to set-up with the free Direct Connect. I also feel $9.95 is very little business expense to a business owner (if you have Chase Commercial accounts) that wants virtually seamless trouble free Quicken One Step Updates.

Do know that you will need to go to Chase's website, your account and -activate- Direct Connect. (You can also call Chase Online Support at 1-877-242-7372 and have them activate Direct Connect for you) ****So, activate Direct Connect and then your best bet usually, after doing so, is to wait until the following day to set up your Chase accounts in Quicken with Direct Connect. It usually takes an overnight for Chase's servers to be updated/ to work with your accounts and for Direct Connect to work properly. IF you try to set up your accounts in Quicken with Direct Connect, sooner, you will may very well get an error notice and or see issues with your Quicken, One Step Update. -- Also, when setting up your Chase accounts in Quicken with Direct Connect, deactivate ALL Chase accounts and then activate Chase checking with Direct Connect first.--

Note: When you go to setup Chase accounts with Direct Connect, you may see a written warning that you may be charged for Direct Connect. Do know that this message does not pertain to your Chase accounts as long as they are personal accounts. Chase stopped charging $9.95 for Direct Connect in regard to personal accounts about 2.5 - 3 years ago.
  • mdperkinsmdperkins Member
    edited July 2016
    All date references appear to be today's date in the Chase area.
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

When it comes to CHASE accounts, probably the best first step in troubleshooting a person's Chase related issue on this forum is to ask the user if in fact he/she has set-up ALL their Chase accounts with Chase FREE Direct Connect. Reality is most One Step Update problems are seen when the user is using connectivity other the Direct Connect. SO, with that said I ask mdperkins are your Chase accounts set up with free Chase Direct Connect? If not your your first step in fixing your issue is to contact Chase and activate Chase Free Direct Connect. After getting the Direct Connect activated and all Chase accounts set-up in Quicken with Chase Direct Connect then d your One Step Updates and see if all is well... If not well, then look for fixes at that point.

SOoooo.... Without any hesitation, I recommend you set-up with Chase Direct Connect. Chase's Direct Connect is free for personal accounts and $9.95 per month for commercial accounts.

Quicken plays very well with Chase Direct Connect. Use Direct Connect and very rarely will you have any issues. If you are a Chase client you would be very foolish not to set-up with the free Direct Connect. I also feel $9.95 is very little business expense to a business owner (if you have Chase Commercial accounts) that wants virtually seamless trouble free Quicken One Step Updates.

Do know that you will need to go to Chase's website, your account and -activate- Direct Connect. (You can also call Chase Online Support at 1-877-242-7372 and have them activate Direct Connect for you) ****So, activate Direct Connect and then your best bet usually, after doing so, is to wait until the following day to set up your Chase accounts in Quicken with Direct Connect. It usually takes an overnight for Chase's servers to be updated/ to work with your accounts and for Direct Connect to work properly. IF you try to set up your accounts in Quicken with Direct Connect, sooner, you will may very well get an error notice and or see issues with your Quicken, One Step Update. -- Also, when setting up your Chase accounts in Quicken with Direct Connect, deactivate ALL Chase accounts and then activate Chase checking with Direct Connect first.--

Note: When you go to setup Chase accounts with Direct Connect, you may see a written warning that you may be charged for Direct Connect. Do know that this message does not pertain to your Chase accounts as long as they are personal accounts. Chase stopped charging $9.95 for Direct Connect in regard to personal accounts about 2.5 - 3 years ago.

This has been working just fine.  This problem just started in the last week or so.  The accounts are combined (business and personal) but I only download the personal accounts using Express Web Connect.  We don't need to download the business account.  I have deactivated and reactivated both personal accounts with no success.  This is a NEW problem.
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

Your issue is undoubtedly related to EWC.  Suggest you read my answer and set-up with the preferred method. (Direct Connect)
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

Thanks but that's not very helpful.  Given this is a NEW problem that JUST started a more helpful answer might include information that is relevant, such as "Chase recently changed the way they do things" or "after update R4 for Q2015 connecting to Chase using EWC no longer works" or similar.  Generally software and systems don't break until either people get involved or something is updated.
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

You come here asking for direction.  You have been given info that will undoubtedly correct the problem, will minimize greatly the chance of future problems.  You were given very succinct / current info on how to move to the -preferred- method of connectivity regarding your Chase accounts.  You chose to spew "not very helpful" "more helpful" which is nonsensical at best.  In closing, I will no longer assist you.  By the way, all my many Chase accounts set-up with Direct Connect (Quicken 2015) work just fine and have done so for 2 years.... as in no issues.  Your issue is undoubtedly EWC related..
    edited July 2016
    BillArf said:

Bill, mine has been working great for years too.  Now it doesn't.  I'd simply like to know what changed.
    edited February 2017
    You can try resetting your account and see if that helps.  (Tools -> Account List -> edit button next to Chase -> Online Services tab -> Reset).

That being said, I'd highly recommend switching to Direct Connect as BillArf suggests below. Quicken has two ways to get data automatically from your bank.  Direct Connect connects Quicken directly to Chase's servers using a very strict way of doing it.  Express Web Connect (EWC) logs into your bank's website and trys to download the Web Connect file.  Which it then has to import.  Its really a work around devised by Quicken to get around banks that don't want to support the servers for Direct Connect or offer it for free.  Most of the time EWC works great, but since Quicken can't control how the bank runs their website, it can and often does see problems.  Even if its been working fine for years.

Id be happy to continue to try and help you with your EWC, but my suggestion is try the direct connect method.  Very often it fixes problems seen with EWC.  If it doesn't then its helps us troubleshoot your issue further.
    edited July 2016
    Done all that.  I will call Chase and talk to them about Direct Connect.
    edited February 2017
    Let me know if you run into any hurdles, and we continue to try and work the problem
    edited July 2016
    I called Chase and upgraded my business account to Direct Connect which allows me to use it for my two personal accounts that were not working.  Everything is fine now and updating.  I really don't consider this a solution to my original problem but more of a workaround.  Mox Nix.
    edited February 2017
    Glad to hear its working. If you ever have to switch back to EWC and the problem returns, I'd be happy to help you work through it.  Hopefully Chase will always keep DC free for your personal accounts and you'll never need to switch back. :smile:
    edited July 2016
    mdperkins..........  No, not a work around.  Geeeez, you still don't get it.  Anyway... I TOLD YOU SO!